Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know how you feel, IBS can take over certain things in your life that you used to enjoy, I really want to go on holiday but if I cant maintain my diet then the ###### can litterly hit the fan.I had no issues with lactose or gluten until a doc advised to cut them out to see if it helped, it didnt but I couldnt go back to lactose and it took a while to get back to gluten.one thing I would suggest as I am sure everyone else here will is that probiotics often don't help people with IBS as much as say those who get occasional bloating, etc.depending on where you live depends on what meds are available to help, if you have or find a good doc try to keep with them as you can more easily go through the different treatments to reduce the frequency and severity of the symptoms and also find meds that can help when you do.The US have some meds that aren't permitted in other countries if it goes to the extreme but most docs will usually run through pre and pro biotics, suppliments (such as calcium), anti spasmotics, dietry restrictions (try to be strict) and then onto low dose anti-depressants. depending on what is most likely triggering your symptoms would depend on what else the doc might try.if you have D every day some people on here have talked about takings immodium each day in a quantity which firms their stool somewhat.I still have lots of IBS issues but I am on Ibsacol 4*4 a day, Amitriptyline 3*20mg a day, motilium as and when required 3 times a day, asilone (random gulp at night time) and that seems to give me a huge improvement on my every day severe D that I had previously.for issues Lopremide, immodium and lomitol do wonders depending on severity depends how many and which I take. and diet wise I have no lactose, reduced fruit and veg, no fatty foods and ironically wheatabix every morning does wonders but I have managed to go back to some processed foods and fizzy drinks (in moderation) which I had cut out for a decade before this.You might be lucky and your symptoms might fade away over time since they only seemed to appear after a series of bad luck medical wise but otherwise its all about damage control. The best example of this are the people on here in the army who have managed to not cure their IBS (as thats not really possible) but control it around a very inflexible job.Good luck and you will find some great help on here from some of the seasoned forumers. (sorry to waffle for so long)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.