Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ibs seems to be unstoppable. I have started taking fiber and it just seems to be making the gas and stomach pain worse. I also use gas-x, and Zantac for upset stomach. I've cut out so many foods that I am afraid to eat anything. And the constant switching between c and d is driving me insane. Sorry to wine so much but this has been going on for five years now and I just want my life back. I feel handicapped. Its terrible how you can go from having a completely normal life to bam! stuck on the toliet, or balled up in pain. And when I do go to the doctor its like they have no clue what to say to me. I have done all the required tests so I know that it is ibs. But what to do about it. I've read just about every post on this site and I have found alot of good info. I just hope find something that works for me. Ok well I guess my complaining session is over sorry.One more thing any tips on nausea? Sometimes instead of gas I feel like I'm gonna puke my brains out but of course I never do, but its the worst feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi ClutchmanI would ditch the fiber supplements (particularly if they are making you feel worse)...go on a low carb diet with plenty of cooked green veges...and take some vitamin supplements with plenty of water every day. Try this for a month or so and see if you feel any better.Has helped me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. But I thought we were supposed to avoid green veggis? See this is what I mean everytime I read something it tells me something different. But I'll try anything!!!!!!!!! Tahnks again

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Each dietary info thing is for a different part of the IBS picture, so often the diet advice from one person has to be looked at against what their issue was and what yours is.Usually RAW veggies are hard on IBSers, well cooked ones are often easier for many people. If you want a salad try eating it at the end of the meal, it is often better tolerated that way.Ginger tea is often good for nausea (or capsules).If you still want to try fiber try a NON-psyllium product like Citrucel or Fibercon, if the one you are taking is psyllium based. Some people do well with Probiotics for the gas problems with IBS (DA-IBS is one brand that actually seems to help quite a few people).K.K.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Welcome to the BB clutchman. I understand just how you feel, I alternate too. If you feel you need the fiber (I do cause if I didnt take it my poop would be all water or I couldnt go at all-long story)maybe try a different brand. I use fibercon (take 2/day)and have heard good things about citrucel. Metamucil bothers alot of people. The down side of fiber is that it can cause more gas. Sometimes it gets easier/better after you take it for a while. My gastro (who does "get it" about IBS)suggested digestive enzymes which in my experience are very effective. He gave me a list (I'm sure I lost it)of around 14 enzymes and said try and get a formula that has most of them. I use "multi enzyme formula" from GNC. Simethicone-gas x really doesnt help me much.I'm glad that you have nothing serious wrong with you and I'm sorry you have IBS. It can be challenging and in my expereince being one who alternates is even more challenging. Dr's for the most part don't "get it". I think most people with IBS are IBS D predominant, the 2nd largest group is IBS C and the type that effects the least amount of people is IBS A-alternating. I'm not a DR so I'm not 100% positive on that. The drug companies again in my opinion gear their research on new drugs towards the population in a condition who are in the majority, that way they will make the most money. Know that you are not alone in your misery and that as one who has had IBS for over 20 years, in my experience it doesnt always suck. I have had periods of months and years of being/feeling relatively "normal". To me IBS is sort of like an unwanted program on your pc, its always "there" running in the background, that you cant delete. You are aware of it but it doesnt always cause a problem. But it can come up at any time and wreak havoc.Chained to the toilet or curled up rocking in the fetal position. Sometimes you can identify a "trigger" and try to avoid or at least validate it but sometimes you cant.I get nauseas sometimes too. Think it can be from spasms in your esophogas (dr told me that once). I dont have any suggestions (none that are legal anyway) to help cope with it. Eating smaller more frequent meals might help too.Again I absolutely understand how you feel. Dont apologize for venting/whinning, its theraputic and helps and everyone here "gets it" and understands. Feel free to pm me anytime if i can be of any help, even if you just want to rant and rave or have a pity party. Been there,done that. Hope this helps

·
Registered
160 Posts
Clutchman, I know what you are talking about when you said you feel handicapped. I am dealing with IBS for a year now and noticed that I am afraid of meeting new people, avoiding any social events and basically do everything from home at the moment. However, I am thankful for all the recommendations from this community. It is good to read other threads and understand that I am not the only one. You have to complain because this situation can be extremely frustrating. We are in the same boat. I do have nausea after any meal. It's really bad the last couple of days. I'll try Ginger tea as well.
Zelnorm does not work so far, I'm feeling that it made everything worse but I will keep taking it and wait if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am new and have been reading all the posts. On the subject of GINGER TEA MAKE SURE that it doesnt contain black pepper! Omg I found that most ginger teas are not just ginger, they put black pepper in them to "spice" them up. Yikes! Same with ginger cookies.And ibs is the least of my medical problems but it seems to give me the most physical pain on a daily basis and is the least manageable as well.My dear friend came over today with a HUGE tin of that variety popcorn. I just smiled and thanked her. My hubby and daughter will be the only ones eating it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was at the Drs getting ANOTHER blood test and the nurse asked why I was having one. I told her I was having constant diarrhea, she said apples were very good for that. I looked at her as though she was mad! That was one thing I avoided for pain and D. She persuaded me to try, or get pure apple juice with NO addatives. I started on the juice with a little water added at first. I now eat an apple every day or the juice. IT WORKS. So you see there is hope! from the most unlikely source you might get a tip that changes your life. I still get bad days now and again, but it is mostly good! Take heart, bit by bit you will get your life back. You must believe that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
davo,I have been told that some fruits cause problems with IBS, but apples work for me as well as grapes (red or white). Red grape juice and Gatorade also help with cramping. A high fiber diet helps with the diareahea but causes cramps. It has for me become a vicious cycle of D/C. I am going into another drug study next week so we will see how that goes. Ruger

·
Registered
13 Posts
I find that all fruits cause me problems. I now avoid all fruit, raw veg and salad - all those things you hear about all the time being so good for you! I do try to eat plenty of cooked veg, and always have a glass of fresh orange a day, but do you think I should be having vitamins too?? I'm concerned about not eating fruit etc.Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
482 Posts
apple is the worst fruit to trigger ibs D, its high in fibre and fructose and something else i forgot... i had one chewy apple sweet the other day, fruitella for you british folks i was ill for 3days... keep a food diary i have ibs D n C, i know what you are going through i get bad pain too. you should work out whats your worst trigger and avoid themt o avoid C this is the part im not great at yet.. have a few of the not so bad triggers.im v senstive to fruit it triggers my D in less than 20minutes, also fibre sensitive... i tend to use caffiene its not a bad trigger for me to stop my ibs gettin C but not enough for D, its a game yeah but we get there and win in the end
jinny im fruit sensitive but i can eat alittle melon and can drink ribena, i noticed your from ukso u should know what im going on about
bewary of citrus its a trigger for alot of ibs suffers!!i dont take vitamins as i havent found any that dont trigger my ibs D. good luck

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sorbitol is usually the diarrhea trigger in some fruits.Apples are onePears, peaches, plums(prunes) and cherries are other fruits with this issue.Cooking them will destroy most of the sorbitol, so you may tolerate applesauce but not apples.K.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i feel really sorry for you i kinda no a little bit how you feel, i feel it to only havn't had to endure it for quite so many years (yet) i wish i could just make it all just go away for you and for me and everyone on this forum and in this world who suffers like we do,you can always talk to people on the forums any time we will not think you are whinging thats what we are here for, to support each other and share feelingstake care,love oak x

·
Registered
34 Posts
"I am dealing with IBS for a year now and noticed that I am afraid of meeting new people, avoiding any social events and basically do everything from home at the mo"its getting like that for me too...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.