Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I just found out this summer that I have IBS. Until maybe two years ago I felt like a normal and healthy person. I want that life back so badly. After spending way too many hours in the dorm bathroom this semester already, I am getting to the point where I am afraid to leave my room. I was put on Robinul before I came back to school. I don't have to worry about d like I used to, but I do still have a lot of pain and anxiety about everything. Since I have started the medication I have had to deal with c as well! This is even more upsetting for me because it scares me, I never had a problem like that before. I find myself missing classes and social events because I am too scared to be far from a bathroom. I recently broke up with my bf of three years (an unrelated event) and I want nothing more than to get out and mingle. I can't tho and my friends just do not understand. I get more and more frustrated everyday. I've been seriously considering quitting my hockey team because I'm not sure I'll be able to make the commitment anymore. I just want some way to get back to a normal life without having to worry about this. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get past it or ideas on how to control the symptoms? I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi there,I'm sorry you are feeling so low about everything. IBS is rubbish but it really doesnt have to be the end of all the fun in your life. My second year of uni was horrible cos I had symptoms so badly, both C and D. Definitley dont skip too many classes, I did this and it makes it so much harder to go back. With D I took immodium, sat at the back of the class, and if I needed to use the loo, I said I had a nosebleed and left, covering my face with a huge tissue!!The worst thing I found about sitting in class was the noises that my stomach would make and bacause I was worried about it, it made the gurgling worse.I also considered leaving my boxing club because I would miss practice all the time. However I found that the exercise helped, especially with C.Do you have any ideas about what causes your symptoms? I need to avoid caffeine, alcohol, chocolate and eating big meals. If you start (or continue) to take steps to deal with your illness then you may start to feel alot better about things, and hopefully find out the physical reasons that may make you ill. Please dont get too depressed, I know that it is easier to say that to do but your anxiety about things may make your IBS worse.Keep your chin up, it WILL get better if you try.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I know sometimes it's so hard to just get up and keep going. Having IBS in college is a real kicker-- there are days where I'd love to sit up in bed all day. I'd recommend that you start from the very beginning-- consider your diet. Are there any foods in particular that trigger you? Try to track what you eat in terms of when you get your sickest. If you've already gone through this, you might want to think about heading back to the doctor-- it sounds like your meds aren't really doing their job. There are TONS of meds out there that might help in a different way. Also try to find some time every day for yourself-- someone recommended yoga to me but I haven't found the time yet. Maybe just taking some out every day just for you to do whatever you like can bring your stress level down a bit. Most importantly, keep your hopes up. Get out when you can and make the most of it. I know I sound like an inspirational book, lol. But I've found that staying in case I get sick only makes me feel more lonely
. Keep posting!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I feel you on this. Man. Do I. I'm a senior in high school this year, but I take all my classes at the community college, and last year, my junior year, I got sick. Around this time last year. I stopped going to school, I lied to my parents about it. I made my way back to the class for the Winter Quarter. I would panic in the parking lot and just turn around and go home. I would make it to class sometimes, but then just leave in the middle because I felt so sick. Finally I got diagnosed in around February, tried all kinds of medications that didn't work. I spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself. My brother finally came home from college and told me that I had to stop being afraid. And, honestly, I didn't listen. I mean, he didn't know how I felt. In the Spring Quarter, I signed up for one class, online. In the summer I signed up for two online classes. This quarter, fall quarter, I'm taking four online classes. I slowly started to venture out. On short walks, to the store, to see a friend. Small, little things. I would just go sit outside because it was better than being inside. Everywhere I go, I still get nervous about bathrooms. It's hard, it takes a long time, and even now things aren't normal for me, but they're better. A lot better. I'm getting ready for next year to go to college, and I'm scared because I can't even sit in a classroom. So next quarter, Winter quarter, I'm going to take classes on campus, but at night because I feel kind of bad in the mornings still. I used to row, but I quit because I was too ill, I wasn't comfortable. My goal is to go back in the Spring of this year. I think what works for people is different. But I think the ultimate thing is to try. I was scared for a long time, I'm scared now, but I know that I'm not the only person that feels that way and it helps me get through things a little easier. I hope things go well for you!! Kaye

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.