Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,(If this helps even one of you, I’m happy. Let me know and let others know. Write me back.)Well, I’ve been diagnosed with IBS. Three times, by three different doctors.Had the usual “don’t eat fatty or spicy foods. Cut down on red meat. Eat more fibre. Don’t drink alcohol” spiel. (Is there anything I can have with that toothpick and glass of water, Doc?) Had the tube shoved up my butt (big hint, get them to give you local, because otherwise, it REALLY hurts.) to check for cancer, too. Nothing.If you want to skip the story, go to the end for the punchline. Write and tell me how it works out for you. I’m really curious if I haven’t found something that cures what had been, which may or may not be, “IBS”.I had all the symtoms: Bloating, diarrehea, constipation, sore stomach, blood in my dump, fear-of-the-fart!, ripped up rear-end from straining, middle of the night gas attacks/emergency trips to the john, plus all the previous, mixed up, with no trigger. Everything did it to me. And nothing did it to me. Then it would settle down for a few days, and then it would all come back. I found this all rather interesting since my IBS just came on suddenly, and of course, didn’t go away. Spicy foods certainly aggravated it, but why now? I had spent the better part of a year down in the SW deserts, swilling cheap gin and beer, whilst downing literally a large bottle of jalapeno peppers every 4-6 weeks on fajitas and other assorted tex-mex foods I whipped up out there. My stomach didn’t so much as hiccup. At one point, during one episode a few years ago, the gas and bloating (I didn’t know it then.) was so bad I felt like I was having a heart attack. I actually went to the hospital. I was only 39 and I’m gonna die!!“Oh... That’s IBS!...”Sound familiar?I don’t think there is such a thing as “Irritable Bowel Syndrome.” I’m a carpenter by trade, and when a door isn’t hanging right, it’s because of something, plumb, level or square, that’s not right. In fact, whenever something’s not right in my trade, it’s ALWAYS a basic diagnosis. You just don’t get such virulent symptoms for NO reason.There’s NO test for IBS? Translated, we haven’t found anything that we looked for... WELL MAYBE YOU’RE LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE OR NOT LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT THING! Duh-uh!?I had doctors swearing up and down, “You’ve got IBS!”And let’s just get something straight. I’ve read through a bunch of forums. Yoga ain’t gonna do a thing. And the probiotics thing? Nope. Tried that. (Some people say they’ve had some success, but that’s okay, as you read the end of this, you’ll understand why.) And yogurt, didn’t work either. Some of this will alleviate symptoms and will definitely help, but only a CURE is a CURE. The range of the symptom alleviation treatments shows how desparate we all are and just how out to lunch the diagnosis is from our medical community. But hey, if it does help, keep doing it.So how did I CURE it in 2 days? And I’m not talking reduced symptoms, that only casually flare every once in a while. I’m talking C-U-R-E-D.Simple: Good ol’ Doctor Fowler’s Wild Strawberry Extract, available North America wide, in any drug store. It’s what my mother and her mother and your mother’s used, too. I had 2 months of this BS, (and that ain’t short for Bowel Syndrome!) and I was going to be damned if I was going to put up with this all my life. I was really starting to worry, as it would be affecting my ability to work: You can’t be running off every hour because you think you’ve got #### on a job site. So’s I thoughts to myself: “Self! You’ve got the wicked runs and bloating and et cetera? What cured that in the past? Doctor Fowlers.” I don't know why I hadn't taken it before. Just a brain-cramp I guess.Nothing like “activated attipulgite” otherwise known as magnesium aluminum silcate. (The original Doctor Fowlers was a thin liquid made from a strawberry extract which was discontinued years ago, because the supplier stopped making it, although I have seen off-brand of similar stuff. I know this, because when they changed the formula, my father wrote them, because he has occasional stomach problems and our family swore by the stuff!)Do the math and logic on this people: For those of you wandering around in the diagnosis woods with symptoms that just don’t make sense, reeling from bloating and diarrhea to constipation, with no real triggers? I read the forums and everyone’s complaints are different. It’s a bacteria!! Montezuma’s Revenge. A cold is a cold is a cold. You don’t get this many people, with this many variences in symptoms, without something else going on in their stomach. It’s not your stomach, it’s what is affecting it! My thought is that there are a lot of food-born illness out there that are chronically underdiagnosed, that establish a bacterialogical foothold in the gut and are a real problem to get rid of and certainly when it’s not diagnosed properly. (That’s why “probiotics” seem to work, too. They change the flora.) And as for the odd triggers and such, you get a build up of symptoms as the bacteria flourish, then are flushed out, symptoms decline, you feel better and then it repeats as the colonizing grows back. You stomach is trying to cope, going from diarrhea due to the bacteria which it tries to stop by causing a constipation reaction, and so on...How does Doctor Fowlers’ cure this? I don’t know. I don’t care. But it made my problems go away. 2 to 3 days later, the symptoms were GONE. I can’t tell you what a great feeling it is to have a nice, solid, painless, dump!! Others may laugh, but WE know what a relief, what a pleasure, a nice. solid ####, is to the psyche and well-being of us all. To those who haven’t experienced the opposite, and for months, they just don’t know!And I’ve been IBS free from that day on. I don’t drink the water at the cottage and I javax it heavily, just in case some gets into me. I eat halapenos, hot spicy foods, hot sauces, you name. And guzzle booze like it’s going out of style! Yippi! I’m cured.Sure, sure, I know a lot of you have some real issues, like Cron’s disease and such. (I know a woman who left a rotten marriage and her Cron’s disappeared in a month.) And there’s probably something to IBS, with perhaps other components that do aggravate it like mental state, but it isn’t the catch-all disease that it’s made out to be by others. Look at all of you, the variety of symptoms, allergies, things that make you go off, with this “disease”. There’s got to be a common thread. Otherwise, IBS is just a BS term for a catch-all general set of symptoms that those great doctors have no idea of, or in my opinion, how to approach the problem. (And note, as a carpenter, I see the screwups everyday in a large organization, and when I asked my mother who had E. Coli infection from a hospital operation, “Doctors bury there mistakes...”Back in the 80’s, a girl I knew came back from Mexico with the same symptoms as I, as IBS is now, and sure enough, her doctor couldn’t fix it. I recommended the ol’ DF! And 3 days later, she was fixed.My third bout of IBS started the last week of November ‘07. One week later, I was a wreck. My friends watched my stomach go from washboard (Okay, okay maybe not a washboard ab...) to something that looked like the alien was going to pop out, in the space of 1 hour, after a meal of... Turkey soup?!? Yeah. Even plain old turkey soup did it to me.Here’s the insight: I have a cottage that the water is supplied by a rain-barrel catch-system. The rain runs off the roof, where all the birds sit and #### on it, then the water sits in the barrel up on the hot roof and ferments. I’d used Javex on it, but it was the end of the year, we’d had a lot of rain, and I didn’t think, so guess who had a drink of it the last time he was up in late November of ‘07?And a few years before that? Probably the same thing as I remember the summer I started adding Javex to the barrels after I figured I got something from the water which wasn’t quite so bad as it was the this last time. Probably without thinking, chugged a good mouthful of DF and fixed it then, too.A couple of years after that, I drank out of a hose at work on a construction site and looking back on it, the same thing happened.See what I mean? How often are you people drinking or eating something that may be just a little bit off? Put your hand in a bit of water on a railing at a restaurant outside, that has bird do-do on it and the next thing you know you’ve got Beaver Fever or something similar. Look it up. The symptoms are eerily similar to IBS. Same with Montezuma’s Revenge and a whole host of water/food born ailments.In fact, I was just reading an article on dissentry. You know, what everyone got in World War 1 from bad water? Read about the symptoms... Hmmm.....So, before you people condemn yourselves to a life of IBS, with strange diets and new-age remedies, try this solution as it’s a cheap, quick test. Get a bottle and chug’er down.I think these doctors are full of it. Any stomach issue now that they’re too lazy to do some work on, is pigeon-holed into the ”You’ve got IBS!“ diagnosis. My 2 cents.Hope it works. Good luck. Had to share. Hope you had a laugh, too.Doug. Let me know. Spread the word. And my gut feeling on ”real“ IBS? These amazing doctors are just now, according to an article my mom clipped, starting to analyze the flora and fauna of the gut. Are you @#$%ing kidding? You mean you didn’t do that already? Logic points to a trigger, and it’s going to be bacteriological. Mark my words. Punchline: Go out and buy Dr. Fowler’s Wild Strawberry and drink the whole thing over a period of 3-4 days.Below is a ruff diary of the winter of my discontent. Pretty much the same from the end of November to the when I started it, because it wasn’t going away. I was starting to panic and getting desparate as the idea of having this for the REST OF MY LIFE was becoming and intollerable concept. You can read the symptom base. Looks like yours, eh?---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Nothing seems to trigger the symptoms, they just occur.Jan 6Felt fine all day. Snacked on coffee and two pieces of toast w/pbutter and honey. Had leftover deep fried chicken legs w/ blue cheese sauce at 11:30 AM. Felt fine. Had nice firm ####.Came home at 5 and bum was doing the contraction thing, like maybe I had to poop?Had bad bloody poop. Small ####. About 7 am. Soft and mushy.Ate and immediately bloated up. Ate homemade soup (beef, mushrooms, carrots, celery, onions. in tamarind base. with 4 slices of bread.Not burpy gas but farty feeling and couldn't. Huge stomach., distended.Had runny watery diarrhea at 7:45Back-story.Spent week at Cameron's. Had greasy chicken one night, beers, felt fine. Next day, eggs and toast and bloated all day.then turkey soup next day and was fine.Jan. 7Ate 2 pieces of toast with PB & Honey & cinnamon felt fine.Supper, chips, sour cream, soup (tamarind) got real gassy. Ass hurt from last night.Soon as soup hit the stomach, felt it start to bloat.Ate large helping of yogurt before bed.Jan 8Had decent ####. Still crapping black? Ate large helping of yogurt for breakfast. Didn't feel hungry and skipped rest of day. Felt good to be empty and not bloated.Ate some corn chips and salsa for supper. Felt okay. Had 1 1/2 burger with Kraft Dinner. Felt GREAT! Full but not bloated. Had #### later. Felt fine. Best I''ve felt in weeks!>???????sunday.Jan 11 SundayWoke up feeling tired.Had gassy, poop feeling all day.Ate enchiladas for lunch. Pooped a few times. Big airy fart/poops. And my bum started to hurt into the evening. Badly. Like I had been really pushing. I hadn't been. Ate a burger for supper.By the time evening rolled around, couldn't sleep bum hurt so much. Red hot pain right on the ######, like a knife was starting to go up it.Had to take tylenol for it. If I wiped with water, it was fine for a little while then the pain returned.Jan 12. Monday.Toast and coffee. Fine. Fine. Ate 2 pieces of toast and 1 burger by lunch. Felt good when I got up. Felt bloated and kind of queasy. Didn't want to work out. Did.Ate a fried steak with potatoes w/ ginger and Turmeric.Felt great after supper.Jan 13-TuesdayCoffee. 2 toast. FineEnchiladas-hot peppers fried beef/onion/greenpeppers.No bloating.Jan 14. WednesdayCoffee. Then leftover enchiladas for lunch. Fine. No problemsSteak and potatoes for supper. Fine. No bloating.Jan. 17-Saturday.Ate a mccains pizza. Felt bloated immediately.Did not feel well, bloating, poops not good. No diarrhea.This continued, but got better each day.Jan 20Ate same pizza again test theory. Nothing happened this time. Also ate garlic sausage. Very garlicky. But no real reaction. Still felt as bad as I did day before which wasn't that bad. No diarrhea and poop’s okay. Little acidic on bum but that's it.Jan 31 SaturdayAss was so sore Saturday night and Sunday needed 2x ibuprofen and acetaminophen to relax the pain. Huge blood in toilet.Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:14 PMLast week stomach has been awful. Ripped up bum, bleeding, bloating. No relationship. Drank water and bloated. Woke up today and felt good then energy level just died.Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:03 AMDrank a bottle of Dr. Fowler’s Wild Strawberry over past week (adding this late).By the 21 my stomach was fine. Just before the job about 2 - 3 days. 3,4,5, it just got better. Still eating same hot foods and such. No link or trigger.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
What fun for everyone. Great story. Loved the ending. Thanks for the tip.
Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds like the new stuff (which I've never seen either in the US, just Canada) is what Kaopectate used to be, and that never cured my IBS, but I liked it better than Imodium for regular diarrhea from a GI illness. Kaopectate had a formula change and now it is the same thing as Pepto Bismol.My Mom had some of that bitter thin liquid (the old stuff, maybe???) she brought back from some trip to Canada because she remembered it from when she was a kid and that was so bitter and tasted so bad we figured it cured a GI infection after one dose because your body would do anything not to have to take another dose. It wasn't made from the fruits but the rest of the plant.Glad this worked for you.One correction, there now IS a test for IBS, at least in the USA. It is new, and it is a blood test, but there are things that are different in people with IBS that you do not see in healthy people or in people with other GI illnesses. Until recently none of these things had been developed into a clinical test, but most of the biomarkers for IBS have been known for awhile and have been seen/used for research purposes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Someone else who has reached the same conclusion as me. Great stuff.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
i have missed something, what conclusion? Good post doug.Ian

·
Registered
224 Posts
i have missed something, what conclusion? Good post doug.Ian
That doctors don't have a clue when it comes to this condition called IBS.I've searched the internet but nothing is comming up for any current products under the Dr. Fowlers name or wild strawberry extract? Is there a particular ingredient in this product that is helping you?Edit: Ok, i found it. Looks like its being produced by Columbia Labs out of Canada. Here is there website http://www.columbialabs.ca/Pages/ClassOfPr....aspx?ClassID=3Seems to me like this product is just like any other over the counter anit diareah med? Did you try taking other over the counter stuff like Immodium and Peptobismol with negative results?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the Canadian site for Fowlers. http://www.columbialabs.ca/Pages/index.aspxMost pharmacies in Canada carry it, or a generic version. Some are closer to the original mix.I didn't try anything else, although I have some immodium, and while I don't really remember taking it, I probably did, and obviously, nothing happened.The original Fowler's recipe was a thin, tannic-y tasting concoction that was a little bitter, but it dried up diarrhea instantaneously. It was the new stuff that fixed me. I believe I mentioned the active ingredient in the original post.I'd love to see some literature on the test for IBS. What is the test testing for, and what is the reason d'etre of IBS? Reaction to something, or bacteria, or virus or what?These are the same doctors that years ago, started to look at the sinus guck, and figured out it all wasn't just "snot" and that different sinus infections produced different snot. I don't know, I've not got the brains/memory to be a doctor, but some of these things seem pretty simple to start researching, in terms of sussing out the problem.SweetDoug

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi sweetdoug(i am not a native english speaker so excuse my english)Do you use this product constantly or you used it just for once, and do you know how it effect ibs? it effects like an antibiotic (antibiotics cure ibs sufferers temporarily as i had experienced) or it just slower down the bowel movements? By the way i am from Turkey it would be hard to get it i guess. Anyway i am waiting your reply urgently, Thanks for your attentionRegards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi folks,Day off at work. I'm going to try and track down some options for people ordering this from the US and other countries.I'll get back to you. While I understand your desparation, (And really, I do.) I cannot send you the product. I will do my best to find out how you could order it if you would like to try it.SweetDoug.And no, I'm not a company rep, or have any financial stake in this endeavour.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, I'm having a bit of a relapse (happens every now and again, though I consider myself "cured"), I'd like to give this a try too, but I'm in the UK...I was going to ask if perhaps you could list the ingredients from the packaging, then we could look to see if there's something similar available to us if we can't find get same product?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I mean same conclusion in that I also believe that most, if not all cases of IBS are down to bacterial or parasitical activity whether we realise it or not. How many Doctors suggest that people are tested for those possible causes? Very few I suspect.I haven't a clue about the Dr Fowlers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A fellow has found a pharmacy on-line that he can order Fowler's from and I've asked him to post the contact information on line.The main active ingredient is in my first post. Apulgate something, I think. (I can't read it from here.)And you mean to tell me, the smartest/head-honcho doctors that specialize in IBS don't administer tests like that which you spoke of? Re: parasites or other?Now here's what I want to know: On this board, or else where, is anyone gathering the data that we could contribute to what's working or not? Is there any medical oversight on this board? There are years of research and a wealth of information just waiting to be collected.Has anyone else had success with anti-biotics or anti-fungals or some bacteria/parasite killing agent? From what I gather with everyone trying everything, IBS just isn't one thing causing these problems. It sounds like the schizophrenia of the stomach world.Here's how I think: Stick a syphon down my throat and take samples from stem to stern and see what's in there. Then do everyone and see if there's any common fungus/bacteria/virus/infecton whatever. That'd be a good place to start. ID if there is a physical something or someplace to start with, as a source of symptom.SweetDoug.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
We have a whole forum about antibiotics that is basically what Dr. Pimentel has been publishing about for the last decade or so. There has also been plenty of research into Post-Infectious IBS but in that case the bacteria that started it is long goneattapulgite is the name. Unfortunately the major source for that in the USA changed the formula. There are a few studies on acute diarrhea but I haven't seen anything about IBS. However back when a lot of people on the board used Kaopectate with attapulgite it didn't seem that most were cured for all time after a bottle or two.There has been quite a bit of research into bacteria flora disruptions in IBSers but that is just different levels of different normal bacteria or things you find in a lot of people who have no symptoms so it is hard to blame IBS on just that.
Until 2003, Kaopectate marketed in the US also contained attapulgite. However, at that time, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration retroactively rejected medical studies showing its efficacy, calling them insufficient despite its decades of use. Kaopectate's U.S. formula was changed to bismuth subsalicylate (pink bismuth).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PalygorskiteA lot of the current research about IBS, really there are researchers looking into it, have tended to find more consistency in problems with the control system of the gut (the nervous system and parts of the immune system) which you do not see with a colonoscopy or a stool sample to see what bugs are in there. There is now a blood test that detects IBS based on that research. http://www.ibsbloodtest.comhttp://centerwatch.com/clinical-trials/lis...t.aspx?CatID=90 lists all the current studies on IBS.http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ and http://www.iffgd.org/ also have info about IBS as the researchers discover it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What the researchers really need to be doing rather than take samples of bowel flora from 'healthy' control groups here is to take them from long-lived healthy elderly people - even those who live in Outer Mongolia, etc.!I mean, yes, they may have some different bacteria than us, but that may also be because having never been exposed to antibiotics they may well have a much bigger and better selection than us.I suspect that many people in those so-called 'healthy' control groups may also have latent IBS. It is thought that gas and bloating is normal, but is it? Maybe a little bit occasionally, depending on what we have eaten, but should it be normal?I know that the current Celiac test is set at anything greater than 10 for a positive result. Now, you and I would think, well, that's weird. Surely any response over 0 should be positive! But they have had to set it at that because the scientists found that even some of the 'healthy' control groups were getting a reading above 0. I think that put the wind up them bit because if they set it at 0 they would have a Celiac 'epidemic' on their hands!A big part of the problem they currently have is that with thousands of different microbes floating around in our systems, there is much confusion about which ones are 'good' and which ones are 'bad'. Taking samples from healthy elderly people surely would give them a much better picture of which bacteria and microbes are the 'good' and 'bad' ones.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
All the probiotic stuff started with what is in people from some part of the USSR are super healthy from like the mid 1970s or something. I remember reading about that way back then.Unfortunately most of that wasn't very rigorous, but some of the more recent research with some of the probioitcs has been good enough to actually prove something.Usually healthy people have a range in all numbers for everything not all the exact same one.I don't think it is safe to say healthy people would never fart, as most things in a healthy diet do have fermentable compounds that no human digests in them. That is why every human farts every day.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Heres the site that i ordered it from today - http://well.ca/products/fowlers-anti-diarr...sion_17056.htmlThey ship to the U.S. and are not too expensive. Figured since I've tried just about every approach that i have nothing to Loose. I guess the main ingredient is supposed to wipe out all the bacteria in your colon/intestines and clear out any "bad stuff" sounds iffy to me but what the hey. Maybe the OP just had some type of parasite or bad bug that it cleaned out for him? I personally have tried all sorts of Probiotics, anti-fungals and antibiotics with little to no success so im somewhat skeptical that this will work for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
A fellow has found a pharmacy on-line that he can order Fowler's from and I've asked him to post the contact information on line.The main active ingredient is in my first post. Apulgate something, I think. (I can't read it from here.)And you mean to tell me, the smartest/head-honcho doctors that specialize in IBS don't administer tests like that which you spoke of? Re: parasites or other?Now here's what I want to know: On this board, or else where, is anyone gathering the data that we could contribute to what's working or not? Is there any medical oversight on this board? There are years of research and a wealth of information just waiting to be collected.Has anyone else had success with anti-biotics or anti-fungals or some bacteria/parasite killing agent? From what I gather with everyone trying everything, IBS just isn't one thing causing these problems. It sounds like the schizophrenia of the stomach world.Here's how I think: Stick a syphon down my throat and take samples from stem to stern and see what's in there. Then do everyone and see if there's any common fungus/bacteria/virus/infecton whatever. That'd be a good place to start. ID if there is a physical something or someplace to start with, as a source of symptom.SweetDoug.
Basic stool tests are done to test for parasites, bugs and such. All my levels came back normal when they did this test for me, maybe i will request another one when i go back to my GI in a few weeks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Testing for parasites is pretty basic and results in an awful lot of false negatives. To quote Ann Louise Gittelman in her book 'Guess what came to dinner' -
"Heart disease, cancer, AIDS...these are not silent epidemics. The parasite problem however, is a silent epidemic. There is a dangerous misconception that parasitic infections occur only in tropical areas or among the poor who live in unsanitary conditions. This misconception has resulted in a lack of awareness of the risk factors and symptoms associated with this insidious public health threat in America today. Furthermore, American Doctors and other Medical Professionals have had so little training or experience with parasitic diseases that they are not alert to clinical symptoms. One of the most up to date clinical parasitology textbooks concludes: The most important element in diagnosing a parasitic infection is often the physician's suspicion that a parasite may be involved - a possibility that is too often overlooked. (Ibid) The physician's lack of suspicion and current underdiagnosis has left the public totally unaware of the scope of the parasite problem.Making the matter even more complicated, the random stool examination - the standard method of detection used by most physicians who do routinely check for parasites - has proven to be insufficient and unreliable. Unfortunately, based upon false negatives from inadequate testing procedures, most physicians rule out parasites as an underlying cause of disease. Since many symptoms of these infections are often non-specific and mimic other, more recognisable diseases, the condition is then misdiagnosed and health problems persist for months and sometimes years before the real culprit is identified."
Personally I would go as far to say that in many cases the real culprit is NEVER identified and that many people take it with them to their grave! (and even if they did find it at the PM, would they put it on the death certificate as the cause? I doubt it - they are more likely to consider it to be a 'result' of the underlying disease, not the cause itself. But then again if they did put 'parasitic infection' as a cause - relatives might then start asking a lot of very awkward questions like 'how come this wasn't picked up a long time ago'???)(She only addresses the issue in America, but that is because she is American. The problem is not confined to America and is prevalent Worldwide - even in more temperate climates like the UK).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is a theory that every single symptom of every single thing must be from a parasite (and there is no other reason for any symptom) and even if the most extensive testing available can't find anything that only proves you have parasites. It is true every human has a whole bunch of organisms living with them. How many of these must be the source of all disease I dunno (as even totally healthy people have bacteria in the colon and mites in their eyebrows and and a whole zooful of other micro-organisms).If you raise mice so they are bacteria free they tend to be less healthy than the ones you let have normal levels of additional organisms on board.I know a lot of organisms that sometimes get blamed are ones you often find in a high percentage of healthy people even if some of the people sick with some things have a different percentage of people with them. I dunno if that means that organism must be the cause.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts