Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOME people wrote that rice actually causes their D, but how can that be? it has no fat, its light on your stomach, easy to digest, its even part of the BRAT diet. i just dont get it, can some one please explain?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I guess it's different for everyone, but I am not really sure why rice gives some people D either. I know when I was little, I got Salmonella food poisoning. My mother was worried because I had unstoppable D, and was dehydrated.The doctor told her to give me rice because it's binding. I make rice for my dog as well, when she has D and it works like a charm.With all of the pesticides and chemicals the food industry uses, perhaps it's something other than the actual rice itself. Kari

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
No food is universally tolerated exactly the same way in all people.Just because something is a very safe food for 99% of people....it can be very problematic for the remaining 1%.Just because X behaves Y in your body means diddly/squat when it comes to how X behaves in someone elses body.Some people may be allergic or intolerant of rice. In the diets used to determin food allergies some of them are rice free because some people do not tolerate/or are allergic to rice. The starch being digested easily is NOT the sole componant of rice and it may be one of the other things (like the rice protiens esp. in the case of allergy) that is causing the problem.IF IT IS SAFE FOR YOU PERSONALLY CONTINUE TO EAT IT REGARDLESS OF WHAT IT DOES TO SOMEONE ELSE!!.People do try to cut out every food that ever bothered anyone and that means that you would not be able to eat anything as every single food on the planet triggers symptoms in someone.Rice, more often than not, is a very safe food for most people with diarrhea problems, like anything else it is not 100% safe for 100% of the people 100% of the time.K.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If I eat a cup of rice on Monday afternoon for Lunch (steamed nothing added), by Monday evening and tuesday morning I have serious D. It does not digest. It ferments in my stomach and becomes rancid. If you've ever left rice sitting in a covered dish for several days in hot weather it becomes a nasty smell (it is the same coming out my body). The same thing happens if i eat bread.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
rice is one of my safe foods. but if I'm having a string of bad D days, going on a BRAT diet is bad for me - it's not enough for my system to get a hold of and start producing normal BMs. I learned this the hard way a few years back. poeticalms - I don't doubt that rice and bread causes you problems - of course you know your body best. but any food you leave out for a few days in a covered dish in hot weather is going to be rancid.nancy

·
Registered
76 Posts
I find it unusual too that rice would bring on serious bouts of D, but I too suffer from that. The only amount of white rice my body will tolerate is what is rolled on the outside of sushi...and even that sometimes does me in.
I switched over to brown rice...my body seems to tolerate that much more than white rice. And IMO it tastes better than white rice ( to me, anyway ).
~Dietes Vegeta~

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Have you all noticed that not all rice is the same? Uncle Ben's seems to cause me some trouble. I have often suspected the "enriched" part to be a potential problem...the supplemental forms of folic acid and iron that they add back perhaps.So, I eat Success brand boil-in-a-bag brown rice. I get my fiber with nothing added. It goes with everything so I eat on average two servings a day. 10 minutes to make & cheap too at Super Walmart.Sure, it gets a little old after awhile, but there are ways to dress it up depending on what you can tolerate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The last time I ate rice was after I had a bad episode of D. It felt like it just sat in my stomach and made me feel yucky. It didn't cause D, but I have no desire to eat it any time soon.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh!No! My daughter thinks rice causes some of her "attacks".She hasn't been tested for diabetes, but this is getting out of control.This week I have convinced myself that she has at least six disease other than IBS. Parasites,fructose intolerance,lectin intolerance etc. etc. It is driving me crazy. gilly

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
COMMENT TO THE RICE FEARERS AND OTHER DIETARY DILEMMAS: ___________________________________""SOME people wrote that rice actually causes their D, but how can that be? it has no fat, its light on your stomach, easy to digest, its even part of the BRAT diet. i just dont get it, can some one please explain? " ___________________________________Don't fell bad...lotsa people don't get it and this is becasue it is not an easy topic to "get" contrary to popular belief. On the other hand, as you can see, some people do "get it" so don't worry they are out there to help.Take a look at this thread then I won't repeat myself, to the annoyance of others. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=1;t=029037 MNL

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I am IBS D and seem to be able to eat rice with no problems. I also eat rice pudding (using lactaid milk or rice milk). The only rice I have problems with is the stuff at Chinese restaurants and I believe that has more to do with the spices they use and MSGs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.