Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 50 year old female that has told she has IBS. My problem is intestinal cramping/burning sensation in my small intestine along the diaphragm, no bowel dysfunction, also back pain, all upper right quad. They have ruled out Gallstones,clean ultrasound. AST and ALT were high last year, but are back in the normal range. My Primary does a LFT every 3 months.I was first told this about 17-18 years ago. I think IBS was the catch all diagnosis for everything that couldn't be attributed to something else. I recently talked with my former GI doctor about the pain/discomfort after my followup for my colonoscopy. He told me said he thought was Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. But he writes to Primary Care doctor that he suspects IBS. (I fired him after that letter.) He is recommending an ERCP. I think he out to lunch and I am very upset that he would want to start with such an invasive procedure. I am also mad that he didn't tell me that. I think my PC is on my side,he just ordered a large series of bloodwork. There is no pattern. I can have pain daily for a week and then go a week without it. Sometimes a glass of water set it off but,then I can eat spicey Mexican food with no problems. I went 8 years without a problem then it started up again.I take Bentyl when it flares up. I can't say that really helps. I do get some good sleep with the Bentyl. The last 30 day script lasted 13 months. The best pain relief I have gotten is from deep breathing and walking. My theory is that the two help relax the muscles.What do you think? I go back to my Primary on the 21th for a followup on the blood and urine work. Reta

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
What is ERCP?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Also,how do you know you have small bowel pain?Perhaps you have pain near the belly botton?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pain is very high up,just below the right breast. We thought it was my gall bladder, but all the test were negative. ALT and AST were almost twice the upper limit last February. My Primary thought it was Fatty Liver. Went on a high fiber/lowfat diet. Lost 30 lbs and the AST and ALT came back to normal levels within 6 months.Upper right quad ultrasound was unremarkable. All other blood work is in the normal ranges. They did all the tests for Hepatitis, they all came back negative.RetaI don't worry about constipation. I eat at least 35 grams of fiber a day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ERCP stands for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. As hard as this is to say, the actual exam is fairly simple. A dye is injected into the bile and pancreatic ducts using a flexible, video endoscope. Then x-rays are taken to outline the bile ducts and pancreas. An open channel in the scope allows other instruments to be passed through it to perform biopsies, inject solutions, or place stents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Reta:The pain is very high up,just below the right breast. We thought it was my gall bladder, but all the tests were negative. ALT and AST were almost twice the upper limit last February. My Primary thought it was Fatty Liver. Went on a high fiber/lowfat diet. Lost 30 lbs and the AST and ALT came back to normal levels within 6 months.Upper right quad ultrasound was unremarkable. All other blood work is in the normal ranges. They did all the tests for Hepatitis, they all came back negative.Reta

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Possibly Gerd? Acid reflux? The pain being high up made me think of that. Just a suggestion. When I had an acid reflux attack, there wasn't even the feeling of heartburn, nothing. I just woke up with that pain and thought I was having a heart attack! Hope you find your answers!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He did find some mild gasteritis during the endoscopy but didn't feel it was important enough to mention to me. I do not think he found any signs of erosion, at least he did not note any on the report. He did test for H. pylori , which was negative. I read about the gasterist in the report and had to ask my PC doctor what it meant. I don't think the GI doctor likes me because I ask too many questions. (excuse the spelling)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to mention that the pain has a 5-6 inch range from the sternum to just under the right breast and just below and towards the left of the right shoulder blade. Sometimes together, sometimes not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.