Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I finally decided to post here, I have been lurking for quite a while. You all are so wonderful and offer great advice! I figured I could maybe get some insight on a promblem I have.
I have a wonderful boyfriend and I mean wonderful. We have been dating for a year and a half, and I truly think he is the right one for me. I would love to get married to him and start a family. Thing is that ibs is stopping us from having a future. I'm planning on being a nail tech, except you need to go to school for it. I'm having a hard time with this, I had a very hard time with high school. I had to homeschool my last two years because of missing so much school. My boyfriend is always there, he wants me to go school because he knows it's something I could be good at. I want to go too. But it's hard, and I know most of you know how hard it is to handle school/jobs. Now I understand my boyfriend and I can not have a future if I do not go to school or at least get a job. It's not possible. For one, he does not make enough money to support us nor would I want him to support me because I couldnt work. I just feel like he's wasting his time with me. He's an amazing person, so caring and helpful. He would make a great husband, he's a great boyfriend. I know he could find a great girl, one that doesnt have promblems. Someone he could have a future with, a good future. I know he loves me, and I love him too with all of my heart. He tells me that he would love to spend his life with me, and that ibs doesnt bother him, that he can deal with it. And I believe him, I'm sure he can. He has already for a year and half. He's great with me, he's one of the only people I trust. I go out so much more with him, because he makes me feel at ease and comfortable. But now I'm thinking that maybe I should end it. Not because I want to, but for his own sake. I dont want him to have to deal with this for the rest of his life, it just seems so unfair. He deserves a better person then me. I just dont know what to do from here. Has anyone ever felt like this? What did you do?Sorry this is so long
Thanks for reading it

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Oh now really?? He has already stated he can deal with it and loves you anyway. YOU have already said you believe him. So then why, in Heaven's name, would you end it?? Out of some mistaken idea that you'd "save" him the trouble of loving someone with a chronic illness?? Please..Love is not about that in my book. Love is about loving someone no matter what and also TRUSTING someone at their word.FWIW and Just MHO:I certainly wouldn't end the relationship until I exhausted ALL means of managing my symptoms. And I mean ALL. Finding symptom management is difficult for ALL of us. It takes loads of trial and error. So if I were you I'd get started on that and just trust him instead.So take your worst symptom... find the forum that deals with that here... and read & educate yourself.. and post any questions.All the best!

·
Registered
5 Posts
u most definalty do deserve him! ive been with my boyfriend for just over 2 years now and havnt even told him fully that i have ibs. your so lucky that your boyfriend fully understands and loves you even so! as for the education situation, start a course and deal with it one day at a time. alot of places are very understanding so if u jus let them know they will giv u a bit of slack on the attendance. u could even try learning from home
good luck
x

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I agree with BQ, and if people have to be perfect every day of your life to have a relationship humans would have died out a long time ago. One reason people stick with someone they love who is having a hard time... (and you never know if your IBS will get better or you'll find the management strategy that works for you, feeling that every day can only get worse and nothing could ever help and that you are worthless might indicate you have a bit of depression and you might want to deal with that, it never makes anything better)...is because they accept that sometime in their life they will be the one that is sick and they hope that if they were good to people in their lives that will come back when they need it, and sooner or later you will have some health problem or accident that takes you out for awhile.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agreed with all above! dont give up hun..I do have the same feelings sometimes with my bf i feel my moaning and on n off days (because i cannot predict when im going to be ok or not) will wreck us, but its been 2 years and ive only been poorly the last 3 months...and he has been tryin to deal with it and he is doing ok because he knows how much im hating it, and he knows it ent my fault. sometimes we have to realise love n life is for better n for worse, and if he didnt like it he wld haveleft ages ago
and as u said he is still with u x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts