·
Registered
14,427 Posts
You were BORN LUCKY?
Dunno

·
Registered
61 Posts
You are so lucky! My IBS actually gets worse during my period. What I would do for a few good days out of the month! Actually, I have read that a lot of women with IBS have worse symptoms during their period.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Robbi,you and I must be about the only ones who have this!
I have urgent D-attacks, for a period of 8 months they were 3-5 times daily, but during my period I would have more formed and less urgent BM's. My D is slowly coming under control with the help of calcium carbonate.I don't know why most of the women out there have worst D-attacks at period time, or why we are the opposites,Fay

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
In women without IBS, a goodly number have GI symptoms at the time of their period. What kind of symptoms vary. Some get looser some get constipated.Now if your hormones send you the opposite direction of your IBS it could make things better. However, it seems that more women than not end up with the hormones pushing things in the same direction as the IBS, or who have colons that respond to the cramping of the uterus by cramping up (the misery loves company theory of internal organ function
).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always know when I'm going to get my period because my IBS symptoms start changing around. I'm normally IBS-C, but a few days before my period I tend to get even more C, then during the first few days of my period my symptoms go away, then I go right back to IBS-C and the cycle starts again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I, too, never have IBS during my period :]. Alas, I ALWAYS have IBS-C and cramping during the monthly time of ovulation
.! owwweee! Guess hormones can be triggers!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I agree.You are very lucky. I never have my period without D. And it is usually really bad. Sometimes I will have it 2 -3 times during that week. I am always so glad when it is over.Then I usually have one good week.

G

·
I am a C-type, but my BM's improve during this time of the month. My BM's are looser and I'm fine. A week later and I'm back to C again. This ties up with those that are D-types - their BM's are looser too.Not so good for them!So you'd think that if it is so connected to hormone levels, the medical profession could look into it and find a pill to fix it!Afterall...... they have developed hormone pills for the symptoms of menopause, and to prevent pregnancy etc. They should look at our hormone levels. This won't help men of course. However, it is a fact that more women suffer from IBS than men. So it makes sense. I'm sure the answer is related to hormones.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
ROBBI:The comorbidity of IBS symptoms with the menses has ideed been linked to specific changes in hormonal balance, and the end-mediator appears to be prostaglandins. Each womans basic hormonal cycles are similar under normal circumstances, but IBS victioms frequently fall victim to dysfunctions of the immune system in response to ingested substances of variosu types which will affect various other mediators including prostagalandins.Most victims have been seen with worsening symptoms at a point in the menstrual cycle corresponding to the onset of menses and several studies have suggested that prostaglandin E2 is one of the main conspirators.Now you seem to be a female whose PG responses do not fit the usual complaint [the population with worsening pain in both "organs"]. This would make an intersting investigation by seeking others like you whose symptoms subside during the menses, studying the preofrmed and synthesized mediators including prostaglandin profiles to see whay this occurs...what makes you BETTER and others WORSE...very very intriguing and I do not ever recall reading any studies up THIS alley, only up the IBS-worse-at-menses-alley.Things that make ya go Hmmmmm....Eat well. Think Well. Be Well.MNL______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
288 Posts
Robbi and Fay, I'm with you. Before calcium, I would have diarrhea all month except for the few days right at the beginning of my period. Maybe the gods thought the period pain was enough!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts