Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my name is Manda, on the third day of my freshman year I started to have really bad gas problems and constantly passed gas. I didn't tell anyone because it is really embarrassing.
I stopped drinking milk, eating potatoes, chips, junk food, etc. I drank a lot of water, ate fruits, and some vegetables but still had my gas problem. I even got in better physical shape, I now play lacrosse and run a lot and I still have gas.
There were days when I didn't eat and didn't have things the day before that would have caused the gas, and I still have gas. I have been sitting on my sweater for the past 3-4 years. Its awful, people always wonder why I sit on it, and I know they know why. I especially get gaseous when I'm nervous and have to do presentations and things like that. I go to the bathroom at least 3 times a day, most of the time I'm constipated and get pain, but the pain only occurs when I haven't got to use the bathroom or my constipation goes on for a couple of days. My mom doesn't like taking me to the doctor and the doctor I have is a complete idiot. Is their medication for what I have? Do I even have IBS?
Beano helps, but only on some occasions, its expensive and I dont like taking all those tablets all day long. I was perfectly fine up until Freshman year, and as many people I just want my old life back again.
Please help...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know how you feel about the idiot doctor. To really know for sure if you have ibs you need to have a series of test to rule everything else out. For me it was blood work, urine sample, stool sample, x-ray, ultra sound, barium catscan, and a colonoscopy. And they found nothing and said hey you have ibs. If I were you I'd look at a list of symptoms and see if you have anymore of them. I feel for ya

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fruit is actually one of the foods that can cause gas in some people. Some veggies are a problem too (usually the broccoli/cabbage family ones).Have you tried PROBIOTIC bacteria?They cannot produce gas from the carbs you eat and do not digest. Acidophilus is the generic name for them, there are several brands on the board people like.Gas can only come either from swallowing air or the fermentation of the bacteria. Changing the bacteria is one way that can help.If you fart shortly after you eat, and you think the food you just ate caused the gas that could be part of the tracking it down problem. The gas is usually from what you ate 3-6 hours ago. When you eat the colon gets more active and that can push it out.K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot. I have a very big fear of needles and so I think something like a urine sample sounds good. I just really want something to control my gas, I mean, no matter what age you are, no one should have to deal with something as embarrassing as IBS. but as a teenager in high school who is going to graduate soon, I just want it to go away! (As everyone here does...) I'm really glad I registered here. Thank you again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I usually tend to have to use the bathroom shortly after I eat. I can feel it and usually that causes gas, and since we aren't allowed to use the bathroom in class (you get detention, a call home, etc. stupid huh?) I have to hold it in, but since I can't hold my gas in I sit on my sweater. Its also embarrasing to use the bathroom at school and when you return have people say, "wow, what did you do in there? take a major dump?" So I have to hold it in. As much as it hurts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same problem with not wanting to go after lunch at work and at school. I would hold it in also and get uncontrollable gas.If you read some of the past leaky gas posts, you might start to notice this common thread among some of us with leaky gas and incomplete evacuation.Bottom line, you need to look out for your health. I would recomend you go to your doctor and get a doctor's note saying you need some time off after lunch. When I was in highschool, we had 7 1-hr periods, and we got one off each day. Also, If you have a doctors note, I can't imagine any college that wouldn't let you have first pick of classes to arrange your schedule if you planned ahead. I wasn't sure if you meant highschool or college.Don't let the administration and the american lifestyle influence your thinking. In my opinion, people in positions of authority that cause a situation like this should be charged with a crime. If I had known when I was a little kid what I know now, I would have told of those people to ***k off, flat out. I feel like I should be able to sue these people for my health problems.The medical evidence is on your side. I bet anywhere you read (and I bet your doctor will even have to admit) that you should not hold it longer than long enough to get to the facilites when you realize you have to go.Educate yourself on this site, and educate everyone else if they give you a hard time (especially your parents). If my parents had read this site when I was young, and realized what might be happening, I gaurantee they would have taken immediate action. Read old leaky gas posts for inspiration, and for a warning.And maybe see a nutritionist. In my experience the probiotic thing helped, and my GI doctor didnt say a thing about it in my first doctor appointment. I don't think they like to deal with nutrition, only the functioning of your system. In fact, he gave me a mucle relaxant and told me I could eat whatever I wanted (wrong).I hope this advice helps. In my experience, sometimes the only person that is going to look out for you is you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey adp, well I have 6 2 hour periods, and the teachers only let you go the bathroom twice out of the two semesters we have. And when I have gone to the bathroom when it was a real emergency with my gas, pain, and stomach making noises that were so humiliating I was constipated and couldn't even use the bathroom...as usual when I need to go to the bathroom. I've changed my diet and no luck. I do need to set up an appointment and get a doctor's note because I knew this one girl, Shirley, last year who had IBS and she left for the bathroom a lot and she was fine during class. I need to get some help big time, especially with college approaching its very embarrassing to sit on your sweater every single day, I've never forgot my sweater and people always ask me and look at me weird when they see me sitting on it.I'm so glad for all the help you've given me and I'll continue to come here for help.-M

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Manda,I can so feel for you. I also get lots of gas when I am nervous. From my experience, Gas-X, Maloxx and Charcoal Caps don't work. I tried all the drugstore medication now but none of them would work when I got nervous. I also have no idea why I would produce any gas if I have not eaten anything. Kath M.'s suggestion of Probiotic bacteria sounds good. I will try it as well. I drink lots of Chamomile, Fennel and Ginger tea along with any small meal. It makes it better. If I have any other ideas, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Manda, as far as the teachers are concerned, one honest straight forward talk about your problem and a show of good faith and effort in class and I think you will be able to do whatever you need to do.I think they will go out of their way to help. I have worked in the competitive proffessional world for about 3 years. I have seen what I think are examples of the best most successful managers out there. When I was honest and explained the facts to them, they were falling all over themselves trying to help me find a solution. None of us can escape the facts. No teacher will want to do you harm if they are made aware.I fully appreciate how hard it is to draw attention to yourself in this respect. I am not sure I could walk the talk if I were in your position. So intimidating.Maybe you have a subconcious block now as far as needing to go but not going.Personally, one comment like "what did you do, take a major dump?" in highschool and I would have been done. I had a similar situation like this in grade school, and I am still not certain that this wasn't one of the big influences for me.Maybe try looking into hypnosis and psychology a little bit if you haven't already. It has helped me with relaxing and going when I need to.I bought this self hypnosis CD over the internet a while back. It gave a 10 minute basic explanation of the basic motivations of a human being, how your subconcious mind and your conscious mind work, and how your subconcious mind is influenced by the happenings around you.You might start to gain some insight into why your body is acting the way that it is.Assuming of course that you haven't already consciously used it, you might be suprised at what happens, too. It is powerful. I am not really the confrontational type. At my work, there was this guy that kept giving me a hard time with my leaky gas. He liked to make these farting noises. One day I pulled him aside and explained the situation. He chickened out face to face and told me he didn't know what I was talking about. Later on he started making the same noises, and I just took it and got embarrassed.Then I started using self hypnosis to try to deal with the situation. A few days later, he made the same noises. Before I consciously knew what I was doing, I spun around, planted my hands on his desk, and asked him if there was a problem. It was kind of crazy.I don't think anyone should be without some basic knowledge of self-hypnosis, what it is and how to use it. Invaluable in life. Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.