Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gut just doesn't seem to beable to push things out naturally.- I have to strain and it always comes out in small lumps i.e not well formed. I hate straining as i worry about the effect its having on the rest of my body, but if i don't push then i will never go. If i take Movicol it makes the stools thin and soft, but still difficult to pass - still have to push but not as hard. I dont want to take movicol because i dont think its good for my body because of the high salt content and it gives me nausea and makes my guts rumble. So it doesn't really help. I take vitamin C everyday and peppermint oil and omega 3 oil. I've tried Magnesium oxide 500mg, but that doesn't work anymore. What can i do? Someone please help because i really dont know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have the same problem when my IBS is acting up. I have no solution, as I just try to drink tons of water and eat properly. It is due to the contractions that hold the stool in, letting the water pass, which makes them dry and hard. Some people might suggest you bulk up your stool with fibre. Have you tried that? I cannot have much fibre, so for me it is a matter of trial and error (I too take all the things you listed)Good luck,Lisa

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying to my message Lisa, Would taking antispasmodic drugs help relieve the C then? I used 2 take Mebeverine, but replaced it with Colpermin (peppermint oil) because its natural and i dont like the idea of taking drugs 24/7? Lisa what foods do u eat and avoid? What dose of vitamin C do u take each day? Have u taken movicol? Do u think its safe? Please reply,love Carla xXx

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi Carla,To my knowledge, vitamin C will not help C (that sounds funny!) I take it because I do not get enough servings of fruit and veggies. I don't digest fruit well, and I should be eating more veggies than I do.Have not heard of Movicol. I am on an Atkin's type diet which cuts down on gas and even helps me go (I guess the fat helps - it also helps me to stay thin). But - if you digest them well, try sticking with "whole" foods such as veggies, fruit and nuts. If fibre doesn't bother you, it could definitely help. Motilium helped me a lot. Antispasmodics have worked well for many people, though I have not tried them as yet.Lisa

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know if Vit C is known for helping constipation, but it is known for making diarrhea worse (or causing it).It depends on the dose and the person, but somewhere in the 500-megadose range, most people find a dose that gives them the runs. Some of the megadosers recommend slowly adding more until you get to the point that it loosens you up, then back off just a bit so you take the highest possible dose that doesn't cause side effects.K.

·
Registered
644 Posts
OMG, K, I love your new avatar!!!!! So cute!!!K, is it ok that I drink the effervescent tabs in water at 1000 mg?What are megadosers? Ironically, I had some D yesterday.......too much vitamin C maybe.Lisa

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Thanks...I decided I wanted something holiday/festive.Usually people who advocate megadosing on vitamin C are talking taking more than 1,000 mgs a day...usually more like 2-5,000 [see ps added in edit] mgs a day. If you take enough of it most people eventually get diarrhea from it, but some people will get more tolerant of the very high levels over time. A lot of people will take C a lot when they have a Cold (and you can get drops and all sorts of things) and drink orange juice, etc and can pretty easily get up into a range where it causes problems if you don't happen to notice how much you are getting from each thing.K.PS check out http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelate.../DSH/colds.html some of the reported doses used are much higher than 5,000 mgs a day

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hmmmmm..........interesting to read that vitamin C may not prevent cold when taken daily, year-round. What is your take on that? Do you agree? I suppose since it can't hurt me, I will keep taking it......I know I don't get enough from my diet, and bsides, these tabs taste good!
Lisa

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I've never noticed any difference taking C vs not for frequency of colds, but I usually take some extra when I have one just in case (can't hurt).I also know vit C is an antioxidant so I tend to take it more for that then anything else. But I do not notice much difference on or off it in any way (now I can tell when I take the B-complex, Vit D, Selenium combo I take or not in energy levels--so I do think some vitamins do make a difference you can notice)K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts