Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to take up a lot of time here so I will get right to the point. Last Thursday I developed very painful gas to the point I was doubled over. Before this started I had very watery diarreah which happened on Tuesday and ended sometime Wednesday. This came out of the know where. The gas problem happened Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and today. I was in so much pain today that I made an appointment to see my doc. At first he thought my esophagus was in a spasm until after he did an abdominal examination. While he was pressing around on my tummy he pressed on my upper left portion of my abdomin right below my rib cage. It felt very sore and tender to touch. He couldn't give me an idea of what this could be since he was pretty baffled. He immediately scheduled me for an ultrasound for tomorrow morning. My symptoms are very painful gas that travels around to my back (between the shoulder blades), severe constipation, nausea and sweating when the pain is at it's worst, and a swollen rectum which I think are hemmorhoids. When I do have a BM I usually give birth to small baby bunny size pellets. Some times the BM's are long and skinny. When I feel like I have to go I get there and nothing happens. I really have to work at it. I do not have blood (that I can tell) in my stool. This has never happened to me before. I have noticed that after I started losing weight about 2 months ago (I am trying to lose weight) my body started acting wierd. This is one such thing that has started. Can anyone give me an idea of what this might be? Does it sound like IBS or something else? I am so scared of it being cancer. I have read colon cancer symptoms and some of mine fit in that category. I just need some advice. Please!! Thank you

·
Registered
654 Posts
Unfortunately , yes some symptoms of ibs and colon cancer are the same. Don't worry yet. I don't know your age, but it is more likely ibs then cancer. I have many of the same symptoms you do and doc says it's ibs. Do what you need to do to put your mind at ease. In the mean time try to relax and not worry.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Start keeping a journal of what you eat, activities you do, what your bms are like, where the pain is, and on a scale of 1-10 how bad is the pain. Keep going to the doctor until you feel that they are sure you know what the diagnosis is. I did all the tests: colonoscopy, ultrasound, cat scan, pelvic, stool, blood, (all negative) now I think it may be the home grown lettuce (and menopause) that's causing it. They kept saying it was GOOD that I didn't have blood in my stool. I'm seeing my GI guy again in two days. A heating pad helped me at my worst, and drinking lots of fluids (gatorade). Also, excercise helped. He gave me pills to relax/slow down my colon and that helped, but I want to live without them. I'm still nervous it might be cancer, but I've had 4 docs tell me (GP,OB,GI and ER), no it's not cancer... I just read in Eric's posting a doctor saying 2% of IBS patients having cancer, but that depends on your AGE a lot!!! Good luck, I know exactly what you're going through. People don't like to talk about this disease but DO! Since I've started telling people (embarrisingly), a lot have said "Oh, I had that..."

·
Registered
28 Posts
All of the posts have been very good replys, but I didn't see a mention of gallstones. What you have described (pain on right side that travels to the back) is classic symptoms of a gallbladder attack. I've have problems on and off, mostly a burning sensation in my upper abdomen in the middle of the night that nothing can relieve. I would suggest the possibility of gallstones. If you look it up on any medical website you may find the symptoms your describing. What it oculd mean is you need your gallbladder removed. But please don't quote me because I am not a doctor. Just someone who has dealt with it so I've heard of many of the symptons. Good luck and get better!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi,I've also had many of the symptoms you describe. I agree that one possibility would be a gall bladder problem, and that is one of the first things the GI doc can rule out with the ultrasound. Try not to be preoccupied with the possibility at this stage, it could easily all be IBS. It's important to rule everything else out though, sounds like you're doing the right things and your doc is arranging to get you tested very quickly. You won't be in limbo about it for long.One thing that struck me is that you were trying to lose weight. I'd been trying to lose about 20 lbs, and it was a while after my IBS-C diagnosis before I realized that the low fat goodies I was snacking on were triggering flare ups. I also wasn't drinking enough water. Once I replaced all those crunchy salty addictive snacks with fruit and nuts I had more control. It took a while to make the transition, the cravings are intense. Well worth it though in the long run.I can totally relate to feeling you have to go and not being able to. I considered moving my office into the bathroom since I was spending so much time in there! Well, kidding, but I think you know what I mean. I get back pain during the whole flare up (for me that's about 2-3 weeks at a time), and the long skinny BMs when I'm recovering from one. I have gas and bloating on a daily basis that gradually gets worse throughout the day, at it's worst after dinner. The gas was a whole lot worse before I realized my lactose intolorance was no longer being controlled by using lactose "free" products and lactase pills. Once I realized that and eliminated milk products entirely the gas is a whole lot better. Not gone, but far less intense and more predictable.Try not to imagine the worst, you'll know soon. Please let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Try not to worry. You will only make yourself feel worse. Don;t get worked up, try to meditate, breathe deeply and not panic. Changing our diet can affect the way our bodies behave.It sounds like IBS but a visit to your doctor would be best.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just want to offer a comment to ease your mind a bit, the others are right,it is probably not cancer. Remember that cancer takes a long time to develop, and it will start with polyps first. When I was extremely ill 2 years ago with c-diff I was worried it was cancer of the colon and I even read symptoms for esophageal cancer and had some of those and I was worried about that too. Anywhere you go you can read a list of cancer symptoms and most people will have some of them, but very few will actually have cancer. The frustrating thing with these GI issues is that you have to have alot of tests to get a definitive diagnosis. Hang in there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It sounds like you are going through the same things I have been for the past 8 weeks. I havehad a CAT scan, ultrasound, ab x-ray, bloodwork,colonoscopy, endoscope etc. I also feared cancer,but they didn't find a thing wrong with my organs so three doctors confirmed I have IBS. The lowerback pain made me fear the worst. I lost over 16pounds, have gas and diahrea etc. What they didfind are anal polyps in my rectum and fissures.I am having surgery on Tuesday and am reallyhoping that will help some of my problems.I am on IBS med's and traq's to calm me down.Go to your doctor, have the required tests doneand you can put your mind at ease. As my doctortold me the first time, colon cancer does notcome on all of a sudden like that. You may haveeven gotten a little food poisoning or parasite,did they check your stools and blood for thosethings. That is usually what they check first.Good luck and feel better soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.