Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some kind of explanation or opinions..If I am only 106lbs and I eat very plainly and in small portions, why am I constantly going the bathroom in the absurd amounts? I know its gross, but I don't get it. I went to the bathroom normally yesterday, in three seperate trips..I did not have breakfast, for lunch I had a plain hamburger, no bun, with a little bit of ketchup. And for dinner I had a plain piece of chicken, with 1 stem of broccoli, and I had ice water to drink. I did not eat anything after 6:30pm..Well this morning around 7am, as soon as I opened my eyes, my stomach started cramping..I was in the bathroom for 2 hours,,with horrible cramps under my belly button that went to my thighs & lower back..And I could not believe how much I was going!! I must have lost 5 lbs..I could not believe all that was in me,,gross but its true!! It was not watery D but very soft stool that was long & such large amounts I had to keep flushing the toilet otherwise I would have blocked it up!! I had to be to school at 9:45..I could not believe I made it thru class...Then when I got home,,I had urge to go AGAIN..have not eaten or drank anything, and I passed mucous,,like I reall y was "peeing out" my butt!! The night before last I had a half of a steak well done, with plain mashed potatos, and a sweet tea...All in very small amounts, as I get full so quickly..I dont understand why this happens!! I go everyday, several times a day, then every other day is like it never stops. What is causing all this??? It is SO frustrating!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not sure if these explainations will help...but here goes.The usual transit time for a human is from 16-72 hours so often there is more than one meal worth of food in the colon at anyone time.The body adds a bunch of water to the food you eat so you can digest it. The colon's job is to absorb that water out of the stool. The more water in the stool the softer/larger volume it will have until it has so much in it that it is fully liquid.The colon is in everone most active in the morning and some of us may over-react to the "it's morning time to go" signal and instead of just letting out the amount that it should, you go into more of a "flush everythint out of the colon mode" which means not fully processed stuff (water not all taken out) is coming out and that tends to be softer with higher volume.As for going several times a day the colon also has spikes of activity after each meal, some people have more problems with these signals than they do with the AM "time to go" signal.HTHK.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I know everyone is different, but after 20 years of watching what I eat with little result I gave up and went to a normal diet. Guess what?..no difference. I had D when I starved myself and it's no worse when I eat. I have to take medication to control my IBS. Simple as that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To add to the info already given which is very good. I also cannot eat even a plain hamburger, or plain steak. No red meat, or I'm in the bathroom. Also no broccoli, plus a lot more foods. Everyone is different, it took me awhile to realize what foods were safe for me. I would advise also keeping a food diary, and look back from 8 hrs to even 2 or 3 days before your bathroom problems. Things I thought were OK, were no-no's for me. I cannot even taste and spit out garlic, it is such a trigger for me. Which makes it very hard to eat out.You never know what they put on things to season them. Even when you think you are getting a plain piece of chicken, it may have some seasoning on it that will bother me. The only thing I eat out is a turkey sub from subway. Maybe later I will venture out more, but for now, I would rather just eat at home. Hope this helps, and God bless!Melanie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.