Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all , I'm 39/m and have had IBS as far back as I can remember. 30 years ago there wasnt a name for it. My parents used to tell people I had a "nervous stomach!" I always thought that I was the "only" one in the world to have this problem , that it was in my head - and that I'd never be "normal"I fell that I have had a constant battle to not let the symptoms control my life. About 7 years ago I met a great woman (over the internet , BTW) and we have been together since! She is quite understanding when she sees me break out in a cold sweat in the car on a cold winter night! Childhood memories ( nightmares!) aside I have had only one "accident" and it ws the most embarrasing moment of my life. I was about 25 and I was taking public transportation to a Mets game. I was actually going with my best friends mother. I had an attack of D and jumped off the bus and wandered the streets of Queens , NY looking for a bathroom. I ran into a bar and it was one of those places where you had to be "buzzed" into the bathroom from behind the bar. The bartender lookd at me and said ,"sorry laddie, customer only". I was so embarrased that I ran out of the bar and it just came out.... and out.. and out...I hid in some bushes for maybe a half hour. I felt like a homeless person, kids staring , people holding their noses as they walked by... I finally got up the nerve to try and get cleaned up. So I went into a department store , bought some clothes and had to ask some teenage girl if there was a bathroom I could use. She was about to say no , but she caught a wiff of me and pointed in the right direction. It took what seemed like forever , but I got cleaned up and made it to the game(remember the baseball game?) for the 3rd inning!!
)I discovered this board about 3 weeks ago and this week decieded to try calcuim and see if it helps. I have been taking 3 a day for about 6 days now - and I can honestly say that I feel different - not nearly as much bloating - not as much gas - It seems so bizarre to say this , but I actaully look forward to a BM! When everythings normal its not so bad!! When I think of all the times in my life I have had freinds wait outside resteraunts for a 1/2 an hour - or excused myself from formal dinners - or called in sick to work - or avoided going someplace I really wanted to go - but were too afraid of the situation - only to have doctors tell me that "its in my head" I could scream!!I dont really think that one little pill is going to "cure" me. but if it helps just a little - then its a good start. I think my biggest fear is old age. I have trained myself to hold it in as along as possible. I was stuck on a highway once in crawling traffic - in a terrible area of NY and held myself for 90+ minutes. I can't imagine being an old man and being able to hold myself for that long. I hope I figure out what works for me soon , becuase I am scared of being an old man with IBS.Between this support group and calcuim supplements I feel like a new man! Thanks for being out there everyone!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome bigred.Your story is familiar as with many of us.Glad to hear you are having positive results with the calcium.I don't even want to think about later years and this "D"....problem. Just trying to do the best I can day to day.Be Well./ Barbara------------------BJV/Female__(D)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome bigred.Your story is familiar as with many of us.Glad to hear you are having positive results with the calcium.I don't even want to think about later years and this "D"....problem. Just trying to do the best I can day to day.Be Well./ Barbara------------------BJV/Female__(D)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I read a study on calcium where it is helping people avoid colon cancer. I,too, started taking more from reading the posts on this BB. It did seem to help me. The "kicker" here though is that I have been having a colonoscopy every 3 years for some time now and always had a polyp. Luckily for me they were always harmless. After starting the extra calcium I had my latest colonoscopy in Feb. and for the first time I didn't have a polyp. Any relation to the calcium? My doctor said it certainly could be. Also after reading that you felt better after writing it down made me think of my days of teaching psychology. One of the requirements for the course was that the students had to keep a journal and write in it every day. They could say anything they wanted about anyone they wanted to and it would never be revealed. (I almost did twice when 2 students talked about depression and how they had considered suicide.) I can't tell you how many of the students told me that the journal helped them through so many bad times by just being able to put it in words. It was like being able to tell someone. (Of course, that was the object of it in the first place.)Also, so many of them told me they were going to continue the practice even after they finished the course.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I read a study on calcium where it is helping people avoid colon cancer. I,too, started taking more from reading the posts on this BB. It did seem to help me. The "kicker" here though is that I have been having a colonoscopy every 3 years for some time now and always had a polyp. Luckily for me they were always harmless. After starting the extra calcium I had my latest colonoscopy in Feb. and for the first time I didn't have a polyp. Any relation to the calcium? My doctor said it certainly could be. Also after reading that you felt better after writing it down made me think of my days of teaching psychology. One of the requirements for the course was that the students had to keep a journal and write in it every day. They could say anything they wanted about anyone they wanted to and it would never be revealed. (I almost did twice when 2 students talked about depression and how they had considered suicide.) I can't tell you how many of the students told me that the journal helped them through so many bad times by just being able to put it in words. It was like being able to tell someone. (Of course, that was the object of it in the first place.)Also, so many of them told me they were going to continue the practice even after they finished the course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.