Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS-D hasn't been too good for the past few months. But, it is somewhat under control from bentyl, and immodium as a precaution on certain days. Now, the real battle seems to be with anxiety. It is so bad lately. I just read up about social anxiety disorder, and that is definitely not me. I know it is related to my IBS, does anyone have any suggestions as to getting rid of it, or controlling it? My doctor has given me an anti-anxiety med, which helps greatly. However, I can't be taking that all day every day. I find myself freaking out about going to the grocery store. Yesterday, I was in line at a store, and I knew I didn't have to run to the bathroom. Yet I can't get my mind to calm down. Standing in line thinking to myself "Hurry up people! I have to get out of here!" I seriously feel like I am going crazy. And now, I am panicking because my husband wants to go out to a bar tonight with a bunch of people. Well, being rright before Halloween, you know it will be crowded. And, bar bathrooms are always terrible. Sometimes they only have one toilet for the hundreds of people there. Do you see how my mind works? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can empathise. I'll tell you what I did today and it might help.I had to take my disabled son to the cinema and was planning to take an aisle seat as usual for me. However, he went in ahead of me and sat right in the middle of the row near someone from school. Panic started to set in especially as people had sat down on either ends of the row.Right I thought to myself. Nothing to do except deal with it.I know that it's hard as every imaginable scenario starts going through your mind. But I kept thinking - 'what's the worst that can happen - I've got a long coat!!Anway, just before the film started son indicated he needed the toilet. We squeezed past loads of people - went to the toilet, returned - and that was that. Terror over.Right at the end I wanted to go (bladder) and scenarios of getting locked in were going through my mind but I remembered that we were getting a lift back and someone would eventually look for us so I managed to leave feeling quite ok. Then ate lunch out which included salad and I feel fine. Panic over.So my advice is tell yourself that whatever happens you will deal with it.In any case you never can anticipate every single scenario so it's not worth getting yourself into a state in advance - as that alone will trigger an attack.I sincerely hope you do have a good time.I need to take my advice again as I'm due to got to a concert with a relative and I forgot to mention about the aisle seat and they've booked it already.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
First of all, you are right about the anxiety. A lot of us have it as a secondary cause for attacks; but it is not necessarily the source of the problem. I used to run a couple of small retail businesses over the 10 years I had to deal with this; and found I needed to plan my shifts and duties around what were fairly predictable events. I would have 3-4 explosions in the morning. I could usually eliminate the 10 AM by not having coffee with my breakfast or using soy instead of milk in my cappuccino. This would allow me to deal with morning obligations, if I had to be somewhere for any length of time. I would have a couple after lunch. All extended running around would be scheduled for after 2. I always have a dog I have to walk. I would try to get the final bm out before leaving for that, although it always wasn't possible and often led to difficulties and some embarassment. Then it was mostly about knowing where a washroom would be when I had to be out and about. While I never took OTC stuff to control this--more fool me--I lowered my anxiety load considerably by this kind of proactive planning. The worst I then had to deal with were clean-up and smells in public washrooms and the screaming rectal itch I used to get in the middle of the night, every night.I realize this kind of flexibility is not possible for everyone; but it certainly worked for me, even when I was back to working for others.Beyond that, keep trying the various supplements and non-medical interventions "sold" or referred to on these Boards. Nothing relieves the anxiety like an end to the problem. And that's a fact!Mark

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hello Lifeonhold, I can relate to you exactly. It's like a timeclock starts up, rush around the store as fast you can and get out. And hope you don't run into a long lost friend who wants to talk for a half hour. For me I had about five minutes, as soon as I walk in any store I start to panic, and I don't like anxiety meds either. But, my new doc persuaded me to take xanax to ease these situations, and they work really well. I take 2 pills .25 mgs(Kiddie version for me) about a half hour before I have to go somewhere and its just enough to stop the panic without feeling goofy. I don't take them all day long. I tried this twice this week and ended shopping with my wife for three hours, and enjoying it.If you do go out tonight be careful mixing meds with alcohol... Bad IdeaBrettAKA Gravymaster

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone tried yoga or pilates? I think that stretching, and the breathing, might really help. I am going to try it for myself, but am wondering if anyone else uses this type of exercise for anxiety and IBS-D, and whether it helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This has been my life for the last 6 years. After i left my husband this indepentent mother of three couldnt leave her house out of fear that she would have to go to the bathroom. Im not sure if the anxiety came first or the D. All i know i have done everything at one point in the last 6 years. Im too sensitive to Meds, Diet well like every diet you fall off,Imodium works and sometimes too well. Yoga worked well. But all it takes is one bad week of D that triggers the anxiety that triggers the d that triggers the feeling that i have to start all over again which brings me to this boeard. Sorry I rambled but i think this is the only place that would understand the embaressment that a grown woman panics over a bathroom.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Welcome to my world. All about hurrying up and finding the bathroom and if htere is a line I know the look on my face is the look of fear-death. I too hate living my life like that. I don;t go to places unless I know the bathroom situation, to many accidents in my life.Good luck, Take careKat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.