Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
HiI am so glad to have found this site as at last I can feel that I am not alone in the suffering IBS can cause.I never had any problems at all until I was pregnant with my second child and following this, the problem seems to have got worse.The worst part of this is that I feel I cannot control how I feel or what I look like no matter how I try and the more stressed I become about this, the worst it gets. I have been to the doctor time and time again and they have done blood tests, scans and can only say yes you have IBS. When I ask for advice in food they seem to scratch their heads and dip into the medicine list. Heck, have I tried them all! One time, to my horror, I walked out with a carrier bag full and that cant be good. I would recommend not going down this route as when you look at the small print on the tablets you see that they are for depression (how can this be the same condition?) are for short term use only and as they can be addictive, you need to be weaned off them slowly. As a working mother of two, please tell me how becoming a tablet junkie can help with the quality of my life?.This leads me to a general plea, why cant food testing be available via the NHS and or using a dietician to help to ensure that an exclusion diet should work and that this still contains the necessary vitamins, minerals needed. Fasting or skipping meals doesnt help and just adds to the bloating problems.Just not feeling alone or having someone to help is so important with a condition like this and constructive help is vital.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm a newbie too. Welcome!I have had IBS-D for 40 yrs and I'm 45 now. It's awful, embarrassing and for the last 3 yrs took over my life. I lost my job and have had to apply for disability. My whole life has been turned upside down just as yours has, but I have a very weird sense of humor and take the whole thing in stride. (Some strides are a heck of a lot longer) he he.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HiI am so glad to have found this site as at last I can feel that I am not alone in the suffering IBS can cause.I never had any problems at all until I was pregnant with my second child and following this, the problem seems to have got worse.The worst part of this is that I feel I cannot control how I feel or what I look like no matter how I try and the more stressed I become about this, the worst it gets. I have been to the doctor time and time again and they have done blood tests, scans and can only say yes you have IBS. When I ask for advice in food they seem to scratch their heads and dip into the medicine list. Heck, have I tried them all! One time, to my horror, I walked out with a carrier bag full and that cant be good. I would recommend not going down this route as when you look at the small print on the tablets you see that they are for depression (how can this be the same condition?) are for short term use only and as they can be addictive, you need to be weaned off them slowly. As a working mother of two, please tell me how becoming a tablet junkie can help with the quality of my life?.This leads me to a general plea, why cant food testing be available via the NHS and or using a dietician to help to ensure that an exclusion diet should work and that this still contains the necessary vitamins, minerals needed. Fasting or skipping meals doesnt help and just adds to the bloating problems.Just not feeling alone or having someone to help is so important with a condition like this and constructive help is vital.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i too am v glad that i have come across this site...just to see that there r sooooooo many other people with similar problems is in a way very comforting...to know that u r not alone...it is such a private thing and not everyones symptons r the same...it can make u feel a bit mad sometimes and hopeless..i sound like a stuck record a lot of the timemy symptons..i am pretty sick of them really and wish that they would just go away at the wave of a magic wand...im 41 now and have had tummy issues since 29!..for me that is far too long...my tummy gurgles excessively...v loud ..i have trapped wind...bad wind..all kinds of wind..it kind of leaves u feeling inhuman really..it certainly isnt v lady like...and really not socially acceptable..u end up feeling very isolated...which is not how i want to be..going out..eating..its not enjoyable..i suggested to my sis that if i had a limb missing...people could relate to that more than "wind"..cos that sounds pretty harmless..but if it is acute..it is v painful and causes high discomfort..but its gas!anyway..this looks like good place to air..literally!!and if anyone has any suggestions..on people to see..possible things that could help...i would be very interested to hear what anyone has to say..i have tried gastro drs!..nutritionists....acpuncture..oestopath..homeopath..perhaps i have just wasted lots of money..and maybe this is something that will go with time..it started after a major strss episode...and i have been unable to unravel since thenit is v therapeutic to voice myself in this way!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Welcome to all - you are not alone - your stories are similar to mine - having had IBS since 1983 and been on just about everything there is - when I came here in 2000 quite desperate, I got a lot of support and suggestions - take a peek at my journey link below if you wish for what I have been on and what finally helped out - and I am most happy to answer questions - there IS hope - after tons of meds, many gastros, 4 colonoscopies, surgeries, etc, there are ways to reduce IBS symptoms and related anxiety and worry.Take care and know that you are not alone, and there is hope!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to all - you are not alone - your stories are similar to mine - having had IBS since 1983 and been on just about everything there is - when I came here in 2000 quite desperate, I got a lot of support and suggestions - take a peek at my journey link below if you wish for what I have been on and what finally helped out - and I am most happy to answer questions - there IS hope - after tons of meds, many gastros, 4 colonoscopies, surgeries, etc, there are ways to reduce IBS symptoms and related anxiety and worry.Take care and know that you are not alone, and there is hope!
hi i would be interested in what you found that helps your ibs. i didnt see a link for a journey. im taking a thing called aloe gold from a company called univera. its kind of working but not 100% and it's really pricy. so please contact me with the link. teresa

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.