Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like just giving up and lock myself inside and try to forget that there is an outside world of things that I'm missing.
The caltrate just isn't working like it works for most of you. I've been taking 3 a day now for almost a week and every single day I've had one bout of D at night. It is much better from all day every day but still this is FAR from feeling constipated. Do I just need more time on it? Sometimes I just blame it on certain things I eat, that maybe whats causing it. But it seems like most of you are eating pretty normal. I ate ALOT of fruit this week, I didn't know grapes were a no no. But they are big time! I don't know if I should just give it more time or what. But I feel very depressed and feel like there is no hope of living a normal life again. I'm ready to call my Mother-in-law and tell her to forget going out to the zoo and dinner next Saturday because if I eat I'll be in trouble. I really hate this.
~Jennifer

G

·
Hi JenniferI was very sorry to read how bad you're feeling. I wish I hade some wise and wonderful advice on how to beat this, but I don't. I just wanted you to know that I understand what you're feeling and going through - between my IBS and my endometriosis, I don't think I have been out of the house any more in the last year or so except for the (many) doctor's appointments, and sometimes my boyfriend will take me for a ride in the car. It gets very lonely, I know.I am thinking of you and sending you good thoughts. Try to do something nice for yourself - watch a funny movie, or buy yourself a little present. Just hang on and this 'black' feeling will pass, I promise. Things WILL get better, even if they don't seem so now. Please email me if you'd ever like to talk.StephanieStephaniesue###yahoo.com

·
Registered
456 Posts
You know Caltrate hasn't kicked in completely either with me yet but like you its much better. To me everytime I don't have D its a bonus. So go to the zoo have fun. They have bathrooms at the zoo just case them out. Don't let IBS rule you. Agreed it takes thought and planning. Take immodium too that day. But have a life your child will grow up so fast don't miss an opportunity to have fun with him. Take a camera to the zoo and get some great shots not only of the animals but of you with a BIG smile ------------------��-whereever you go there you are

G

·
I'm sorry to hear that your not doing as well as you would like.So, lets look at your diet...Caffine??? BAD STUFF!Soda?To much fatty foods?Milk products?If all else fails try the brat diet for a few days BRAT= bannanas, rice, applesause and Toast. Then slowly add back in foods and see what sets you off.Don't eat at the zoo and go have a good time.

G

·
Homebound,Sorry to hear that you are so down. Iknow where you are coming from. I Seldom leave my house and with this gas problem no one gets near me if I do go out, but I have my puter and all the understanding people here. Guess we just got to keep trying til we find the right solution.If you want to you can e-mail me etkjmk###q1.net

G

·
Hi Jennifer-I am really sorry that you are having such a terrible week. I know exactly how you feel with the D at night, b/c for the most part that is the only time I get D. I am almost positive that I get D at night b/c dinner is the biggest meal of the day for me. Also, dinner is my only hot meal of the day and I think hot food causes me more trouble. Do you generally eat a big dinner? That could be a factor for you as well. I have started eating small dinners comprised of cold food like tuna sandwiches or cereal. I have not been having D as bad. Also, maybe you need to take more Caltrate. Not too long ago, someone mentioned taking like 6 a day b/c they couldn't get their D under control. Maybe you should try taking 1 1/2 after dinner. I hope you start feeling better soon-I know it is so frustrating, but hang in there. I will keep you in my thoughts.-Kayla

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Homebound - I didn't read what anybody else said here, just skipped to reply so hope I'm not repeating something already said.Sorry to hear you don't feel improved yet. First, do you have your period? This can throw things all out of whack, even when on the Caltrate. Lots of the ladies on the IBS boards get the "D" with their periods even when they are taking the Caltrate. I did too - just upped my dose to 4 a day from 3 and it helped. If you don't have your period, maybe you're just not taking enough Caltrate to begin with - try 4 a day and see if it helps.I know LDanna and LNAPE would be advising you to eat properly. Although I still tend to eat whatever I want, maybe I'm just a rare bird and can get away with it, I don't know, still seem to do well in spite of my eating habits since taking Caltrate. But if you are still having such trouble, I would advise you to eat very carefully. This seems to be the ticket for a lot of people with "D". Other than that, I don't know - I take Metamusil too and when I quit taking it, my "D" came back, so went back on it, and I'm fine. Perhaps you also need that extra "bulking agent". Or, are you lactose intolerant? I also take Lactaid for my lactose intolerance.Those 3 things seem to be the combo for me.Hope you can find the right solution for you. I hope you have better days soon.P.S. - I notice you said that you ARE improved slightly. Therefore I would assume the Caltrate IS helping, maybe an extra pill a day or better eating habits and possibly the other things I mentioned would really do the trick for you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think you are too stressed out over the Zoo next saturday. Dont think about it, up your caltrate and you will have a good day. The stress is doing it to you and I know it's not easy not to think about it but you have to stop and you have to exammine your diet a bit too. I know you will have a fine day and that you will have worried over nothing. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I guess sometimes I just need a little support and a push to keep trying. This is the only place I get it!! My husband gets frusterated that I don't want to go places, and then feels bad because he wishes he could help me. My mom just keeps telling me that most of it is in my head and if I stop thinking about it I'll be fine (Boy do I wish!). This is the only place I can find actual suggestions from people who completly understand. I appriciate you guys so much, you'll never know!!Anyway yes Anxious, I'm on my second day of my period. I did notice with my PMS cramps the D cramps came along with it. That is so weird. Does the week before your period seem to be messed up to? That would explain the whole week that I've been on the Caltrate for not working quite as well as I'd like it! Plus that my diet isn't that great, like all the grapes I ate this week. Geez.Also is it ok to up the dose from 3? Four a day isn't too much? If thats ok I'll do it. And the Metimusal really helps? I'm drinking Lactose free milk which I'm hoping is ok. I'm just using it in cereal and stuff. Lets just hope I find a good combo so I can actually leave my house!! Thanks again everyone.~Jennifer

G

·
homebound,i know how you feel about not wanting to go already. i am moving july 30th and i am already worried about having stomach attacks and when will i be able to eat. its so embarrassing having to laways run to the bathroom! kittershang in there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Homebound-I feel so bad that you're feeling the way you are cause I've been there,done that. I think we all have. I think that the advice alot have been saying about going anyways and not letting this rule your life is right. I know it will be hard-planning what to eat, finding bathrooms-but try taking a couple of immodium and tell Ibs to go to !!!Tess

·
Registered
327 Posts
All of the above advice is great. YOu are not putting enough effort into watching your diet. Start keeping a record of every bite you put in your mouth ( a pain I know) and start eating very bland foods...baked chicken, plain potatoes, green beans and the like. EAt it every day for a week and see what happens. If things improve you'll know you're on the right track. I would n't eat a grape for anything!! No raw fruits or vegetables. No dairy (and am taking Lactaid) no red sauces, no cream sauces, no carbonated drinks, no hot caffinated teas, well, you get the idea. Start basic and then gradually add to it. Everytime I try to add to mmine I get an attack. It gets old but I'd ratehr eat bland than have an attack of D.My doctor has just told me to try the Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran as opposed to Metamucil and the like. It seems to be helping ..in combination with the two Immodium a day. You have to find the things that are right for you..the right foods and right combination of meds. Do not give up! You have to keep trying . But be careful with the Calcium mixed with the Immodium>It will stop you up!! Good Luck

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Homebound - yep, the week before my period was when my "D" came back! And once my period started, things got better, but that could be because I upped the Caltrate dose. I went on 4 a day until my period was over and then went back to 3. I was told 4 a day was not too much to take.Duh - I forgot what else I was going to say - will go back and read your latest post and then come back.... BRB!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Oh yeah - the Metamusil... Well, I don't know FOR SURE but like I said, my doctor recommended it so I was taking it BEFORE I found the IBS boards and was told about the Caltrate. It "was" helping, a bit - I was better but not as good as I am now, since starting the Caltrate. But again, when I quit the Metamusil, back to "D", and then when I started the Metamusil, I got better again. So, who knows for sure...?! All I know is that I will continue to take it just in case...But it seemed to be a combination of things just before my bout of "D", not just quitting the Metamusil. To make things MORE confusing, I'd also stopped eating grapefruits! Seems odd, I know, but I WAS eating 1/2 a one every day til we ran out. When I figured out this "possible" connection, I immediately ran to the store and bought tons of grapefruits! So, that too could have been a factor... who knows...And, to make matters even more confusing, this is getting ridiculous, isn't it? - I also had gone out of town and being aware of how water affects me, did not WANT to have any, but had to take my pills so had a few sips...And, theres more - I "pigged out" on sunflower seeds one night at my daughter's baseball game and the "D" started the next day. So, I think with us, anything can help or hurt, we just have to rule out certain things and TRY to determine our triggers...Anyway, the first bout of "D" was obviously caused by my period, then the above all came about when I got the second bout of "D". Other than that, I've been fine. Hope this helps but it probably confused you even more! tee hee..!

G

·
Homebound~I have one strict rule when going through a D phase...absolutely NO fruit. Every once in a while a banana will be okay, but otherwise I try to stay away from fruit and stick to steamed broccoli. I have to REALLY watch my diet. I don't think I've eaten "normally" in years.I was so discouraged 2 weeks ago that I just curled up and cried. I had been doing so well there for a while and then wham! Out of the blue, another round of D 3 times a day. Well, after I cried my little eyes out I got back to the bland rice/chicken/broccoli type diet and finally got it under control. Unfortunately I cut back too much on the water, I think, and am now on a C kick! Ack! But, with the start of my period, I know I will have my customary round of D right before. Hang in there. Sometimes I lock myself in a room, find an old stuffed bunny, and let myself cry for a while. There's just those days when it's so hard to NOT feel sorry for myself, and that bit of crying seems to go a long way for me to let out some of the frustration of missing out on things.

G

·
It took about 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks for the Caltrate to really kick in. I do still take my Tranzene (anti-depressant) if I feel like I'm going to have a bad day and I know I'll be out and about. That's really calms my nerves and colon. The Caltrate PLLUS is working wonders for me otherwise. Make sure it's CALTRATE PLUS you're taking. The one in the PURPLE AND WHITE bottle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts