Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!I'm pretty new to this forum but wanted to briefly let you know about me. i had severe colonic inertia and eventually needed a subtotal colectomy in 03.It has taken my pain away and I go to the toilet freely now so i am thankful, so thankful compared to how I was.However its a long recovery process and here i am nearly 3 years on, still adjusting to having no large bowel and also having CFS and spasms as a result of the surgery. Still, I would do it all over again given how much pain I was in.If anyone wants any info on the op, feel free to fire away at me, I don't mind one bit. Great to have so many caring people on here by the way, its a great help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys!!I guess my diagnosis term was "motility disorder of the large intestine" I had a test called a transit study where you go to the radiologist room and they have you drink some tracer liquid - like water. Then every day you go back and they scan your belly to see where abouts the marker is in your bowel. I was still going back about 7 days later and it was just beginning to leave the bowel. Most was still in the large intestine. I think it took 124 hrs to begin to empty - which is too long in someone my age (24 at the time) they said my bowel functioned as well as an old lady's!Then I was sent for a defecating proctogram where they test if you have a bowel prolapse. This is weird. It involves have a small metal chain and ball inserted into your behind and barium squirted up too - not so pleasant. Then you stand up and have to pass it. They scan you as you do this to see how the bowel drops etc when you use the loo. Mine did have a prolapse into the pelvic area pressing on my bladder.Because I was in so much pain in the abdomen I couldn't bear it any longer. Thing was i still used my bowel with the aid of laxatives every night but because it was so slow I would have a build up in me all the time. To the extent i'd have blockages. I was still going to the toilet though but not emptying like i should have been and there was so much pain.If you have any questions fire away ok-hope this has helped a bit

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.