Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My names Mike, and i was just found out i have IBS about a month ago. I'm 17 and it really is a problem with me. I just started a new school and the first few days I've been fine. So it's not my nerves. But I hate this, I get massive intestinal pains + diarea. I hate this, my mom has IBS also and she always says I probably am stressed out or something and i need to calm down, but i dont feel stressed. School is my main concern though. I dont want to have to have IBS problems in school. I don't want to be known as the kid who goes to the bathroom 24/7. I'm trying to find out what I can eat but if I eat something that upsets me sometimes it'll carry itself over to the next day at school. So I dont eat food after 5 o'clock at night so hopefully all the food will be out of my system before school. I know that sounds like its unhealthy, bt its all i can do until i can find out what I can and cannot eat. My mom is no help all she says is to stay away from dairy, caffine, and spicey foods. THATS NO HELP!! This is so frustrating! No one is helping me! Does anyone know anything that will help me get through school without any problems?!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Mike:I know how you feel. My intestinal problems started when I was in high school too. It is very frustrating. In order to find out what your "trigger" foods are, you will want to start to keep a food diary of your own, and record everything you eat, and also record your symptoms and their severity. You will probably start to see some patterns develop over time, though there may also be times when it seems like you can't eat anything without getting diarrhea. Products like Imodium are very effective at controlling diarrhea, and helped me many days in high school and in college. You can also talk to your doctor about trying an antispasmodic medication such as Levsin or Bentyl to help with the spasms, but these are sporadically helpful and can have some side effects. It is important to find something that helps you deal effectively with stress, whatever that is for you.You may want to try confiding in some of your friends. You may be surprised to find they are really supportive and understanding. I know it is hard, and it seems really depressing to be dealing with this when everyone else seems to be able to just have fun, eat whatever they want, and never have to worry about where the bathroom is. I wish you didn't have to go through it and that there was a magic bullet cure so you could have the carefree high school experience you deserve. But you will find that taking some steps to modifying your diet and finding ways to manage stress will help to empower you and you won't feel so controlled by this problem. Good luck to you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. ~JR~

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Mike:I know how you feel. My intestinal problems started when I was in high school too. It is very frustrating. In order to find out what your "trigger" foods are, you will want to start to keep a food diary of your own, and record everything you eat, and also record your symptoms and their severity. You will probably start to see some patterns develop over time, though there may also be times when it seems like you can't eat anything without getting diarrhea. Products like Imodium are very effective at controlling diarrhea, and helped me many days in high school and in college. You can also talk to your doctor about trying an antispasmodic medication such as Levsin or Bentyl to help with the spasms, but these are sporadically helpful and can have some side effects. It is important to find something that helps you deal effectively with stress, whatever that is for you.You may want to try confiding in some of your friends. You may be surprised to find they are really supportive and understanding. I know it is hard, and it seems really depressing to be dealing with this when everyone else seems to be able to just have fun, eat whatever they want, and never have to worry about where the bathroom is. I wish you didn't have to go through it and that there was a magic bullet cure so you could have the carefree high school experience you deserve. But you will find that taking some steps to modifying your diet and finding ways to manage stress will help to empower you and you won't feel so controlled by this problem. Good luck to you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. ~JR~

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Mike,I know what you are going through...and it is tough...very tough. I can relate to the feeling of not being stressed, but still the IBS symptoms hit. If you are like me, you probably only worry about "what if" scenarios that your IBS may put you through. For instance, you mentioned not wanting to be known as the person who goes to the bathroom 24/7...or maybe the embarrassment if you do have to go while in class...and don't make it. These things ate me alive. What I found out in my case was that these were the ONLY things that worried me...no other stress. To combat these feelings I meditated...relaxed my stomach...and pictured myself in one of those embarrassing moments, and watch as I realized that I was still "me". This may not make much sense to you right now, but I'm sure it will soon.Race

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Mike,I know what you are going through...and it is tough...very tough. I can relate to the feeling of not being stressed, but still the IBS symptoms hit. If you are like me, you probably only worry about "what if" scenarios that your IBS may put you through. For instance, you mentioned not wanting to be known as the person who goes to the bathroom 24/7...or maybe the embarrassment if you do have to go while in class...and don't make it. These things ate me alive. What I found out in my case was that these were the ONLY things that worried me...no other stress. To combat these feelings I meditated...relaxed my stomach...and pictured myself in one of those embarrassing moments, and watch as I realized that I was still "me". This may not make much sense to you right now, but I'm sure it will soon.Race

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Mike, welcome to the board.Your mum is right that avoiding caffeine and spices might help. Also other stimulants such as fats, fried foods and smoking.Diary is a problem for some IBS people, for others it isn't.I hate to say it, but not having any food in your system all day might make the IBS worse as when you do eat, it's a bit of a shock.Have you been diagnosed by a doctor? You can talk though with her or him your symptoms and the best way to manage them with medication, lifestyle chages and diet. Antidepressants can be very helpful in slowing down intestinal activity.Have you tried taking Imodium (generic is loperamide HCL) to help with the diarrhoea and frequency of BMs? It is an anti-diarrhoeal. BTW, I got IBS at school also, at age 15. Now 23. take care,------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS[This message has been edited by wanderingstar (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Mike, welcome to the board.Your mum is right that avoiding caffeine and spices might help. Also other stimulants such as fats, fried foods and smoking.Diary is a problem for some IBS people, for others it isn't.I hate to say it, but not having any food in your system all day might make the IBS worse as when you do eat, it's a bit of a shock.Have you been diagnosed by a doctor? You can talk though with her or him your symptoms and the best way to manage them with medication, lifestyle chages and diet. Antidepressants can be very helpful in slowing down intestinal activity.Have you tried taking Imodium (generic is loperamide HCL) to help with the diarrhoea and frequency of BMs? It is an anti-diarrhoeal. BTW, I got IBS at school also, at age 15. Now 23. take care,------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS[This message has been edited by wanderingstar (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Mike. _____________________________________"...my mom has IBS also and she always says I probably am stressed out or something and i need to calm down, but i dont feel stressed. " _____________________________________Been there done that got the dozens of colonoscopies and hundreds of doctor exams over 35 years to prove it. This is evryone's answer who knows not of what they speak, but does try to be helpful so ya cannnot hold it against em.I recommend before you go any further that IF your diagnosis was made by a GI doc, get a second opionion (ie due to the fact you say that this is a sudden-onset problem at 17 years old). If it was nOT a board certified GI doc who made the diagnosis go see one right away.If you come back shortly with the same diagnosis I can provide you some guidnace where to go to learn about this diarrhea and what causes it and what your options are...give you some books to read.But I recommend what I said first. Let us all know how you do and what the "deal" is (how did your diagnosis get made).Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Mike. _____________________________________"...my mom has IBS also and she always says I probably am stressed out or something and i need to calm down, but i dont feel stressed. " _____________________________________Been there done that got the dozens of colonoscopies and hundreds of doctor exams over 35 years to prove it. This is evryone's answer who knows not of what they speak, but does try to be helpful so ya cannnot hold it against em.I recommend before you go any further that IF your diagnosis was made by a GI doc, get a second opionion (ie due to the fact you say that this is a sudden-onset problem at 17 years old). If it was nOT a board certified GI doc who made the diagnosis go see one right away.If you come back shortly with the same diagnosis I can provide you some guidnace where to go to learn about this diarrhea and what causes it and what your options are...give you some books to read.But I recommend what I said first. Let us all know how you do and what the "deal" is (how did your diagnosis get made).Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
398 Posts
My advice would be to take Immodium before school..........that's what I did while I was in college and I never had trouble at school. You just need to make sure to drink lots of water and eat some more fiber so you don't get constipated. It is very difficult to deal with. I totally understand what you are going through.Best of luck

·
Registered
398 Posts
My advice would be to take Immodium before school..........that's what I did while I was in college and I never had trouble at school. You just need to make sure to drink lots of water and eat some more fiber so you don't get constipated. It is very difficult to deal with. I totally understand what you are going through.Best of luck

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mike,Welcome to the board. I completely sympathize with you; I have IBS-D, too, and college and working was a real challenge. My suggestion to you is to find your "safe" foods and eat small quantities of them, continuously, throughout the day. Our digestive systems seem to handle this much better and it also helps to keep you energized throughout the day.Keep your chin up, Mike.
This problem will not beat you if you don't let it. Good luck.Bev

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mike,Welcome to the board. I completely sympathize with you; I have IBS-D, too, and college and working was a real challenge. My suggestion to you is to find your "safe" foods and eat small quantities of them, continuously, throughout the day. Our digestive systems seem to handle this much better and it also helps to keep you energized throughout the day.Keep your chin up, Mike.
This problem will not beat you if you don't let it. Good luck.Bev

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.