Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a gastric emptying test done and it showed moderate abdnormalities. From what I have been told it is gastroparesis. The main symptoms of this is naseusa and vomiting, which I have but not severe. My main symptom (and has been for 10 years) is chronic severe stomach cramps. I don't see a correlation between the two, and they may be two different issues, I don't know. One of the causes for gastroparesis is anti-spamastic meds - which i am on. I am currently on two different anti-spasmastic meds. Doesn't this seem contradicting?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Are the stomach cramps purely the organ stomach? So always up by the chest in the center?Or do you have colon pain (abdominal pain often called stomach pain) with other lower GI symptoms (like stool issues)?I mean people can have upper GI problems and lower GI problems and sometimes treatment for one is not good for the other. Usually I hear of antispasmodics more for IBS/colon pain that upper GI/stomach issues. But I guess it doesn't have to be that way.Even if the antispasmodic are for upper GI pain, not all upper GI pain is gastroparesis and just because a med is given for one issue doesn't mean it can't make something else with the same organ worse.http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gastropar...ments-and-drugs doesn't really list antispasmodics as a treatment for gastroparesis. And they generally tend to slow things down so that could be bad for someone with a slow part of the GI tract.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
So the lower abdomen stuff is intestinal, not stomach. Like I said you can have issues up top and down below. It would be nice if one thing going wrong would prevent other things from going wrong, or what treats one thing didn't make something else worse. But unfortunately you can have several issues and sometimes what helps one may not be so good for something else.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Kathleen,This has been a common theme of yours recently and I am finding it quite helpful. I too suffer from both upper and lower GI issues. Your writing has given me a number of new ideas about how to approach my issues. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.