Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

I have IBS and have started Zoloft, Why???

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  cat 
G
#1 ·
I have had IBS since I was a child. The last 6 months it has gotten much worse so I was back to the doctors and all the tests and they said I have IBS and colitis. My gastrointerologist put me on Librax and Lomitol. My internist put me on Zoloft to help me with the anxiety of never knowing when the IBS will start up. I have been on Zoloft for 3 weeks now and I do not feel any different. Has this happened to anyone else? Does it help. The anxiety itself can be very limiting. I work full time and I take all kinds of medicines in the morning to get there. But on days I have choices about leaving the house, I sometimes can't do it because of fear of having IBS kick in. It sure is difficult living with this illness. It effects every aspect of your life. I found out that if I stay away from milk products it helps. Thank you everyone for listening. I just discovered this website yesterday and it has already helped me so much. I do not feel so alone. There are others out there like me. Sometimes even when people say they understand, (even my family), I know they don't. But I know you guys do so thanks again.

G
#2 ·
People respond differently to different medications, so it may just be that Zoloft is not the right medicine for you. My doctor put me on BuSpar, which is an anti-anxiety drug, but it didn't make any difference in me either. It's just a matter of experimenting with different drugs until you find one that works for you. Good luck in finding one!
K

G
#3 ·
KThank you for responding. So it is not unusal to be put on an anti-depressant because of the anxiety caused by IBS. Thank you cause I was a little nervous starting this. I know it's not really panic attacks cause that is anxiety from an unknown cause. I know exactly what causes my aniexty. Thanks again. Lorettasun[This message has been edited by Lorettasun (edited 10-11-98).]

G
#4 ·
This is so very true, about the family members not understanding you. They said they do, but they don't know how it feels. I totally understand what you mean. I just started this BB today. It is already helping. I am at home right now (sick, of course, with the usual trips to the bathroom), trying to recover from my knowing that I may have IBS, even when my doctor has not used this three letters yet.

G
#5 ·
The use of anti-depressants goes beyond just the anxiety and depression that can accompany IBS. According to Dr. Salt's book and others on the subject, the drugs - even in quite low doses - can actually affect the way the brain perceives messages from the gut. The drugs can help with the super-sensitivity many of feel about our bodily goings-on.

#6 ·
Hi, this is my first time! Just wanted to reply about the Zoloft. It took a couple of months before I noticed any changes and then did not feel as much anxiety. I had to increase to 200 mg a day which I am on now. As far as the reactive bowel, not to much help there. I see positive results from watching my diet and eliminating the trigger foods. Does not always work if under stress, then I have to make sure I time myself for my bathroom breaks at work, it takes a little bit of doing and it feels wierd like I am trying to hide something, but I would rather not have everyone know. It is bad enough that my husband has to live through my quirks but he is understanding...to much? bye

G
#7 ·
Polly:Regarding your work not knowing: I finally let my supervisors know that I have IBS, and that I consider myself disabled under the ADA. They are very understanding. If I have a bad night and need to come in late, it's not a problem. I'm having a bad flareup right now, and my supervisor suggested I might need to take some time off today. He was really surprised when I told him that I didn't want to do that, as I didn't want to let the IBS win.Everybody has gotten used to me getting up from meetings to go the restroom (BPH, not diarrhea, thank god), and no-one even looks at me when I leave anymore. IBS isn't as in-your-face visible as most handicaps, but, it is a handicap, nonetheless. Once people understand that you have a problem, they are generally very helpful and understanding.Bob

G
#8 ·
I just went to the doctor last night and he upped my dose of Zoloft to 150 mgs once a day. I do feel a little calmer but I still have IBS but I do not seem as anxious about it. I'm taking 100 mgs a day now and I have no side affects so I guess that is a good sign. He told me that most people with IBS get help by taking anti-depressants because of the decrease in the anxiety that goes along with this illness. Now I guess it's just a wait and see what happens again. I feel that people with IBS have that happen a lot. "Well I'll try it and maybe it will work". I guess sometimes we'll try anything just to feel better. Good luck and thanks for the imput.

#9 ·
I too, am taking an antidepressant, Paxil andit has helped a lot. I'm not as anxious asbefore but I did still have "D" but now Ialso take immodium twice a week and thingshave been great for two months. The jobI had previously (bank teller) was verystressfull but the people I worked withwere very understanding. One of my supervisors even had IBS but not nearly asbad. I am presently working parttime atan office in which I am alone and the ladiesroom is right next door. Sometimes I am theonly one on the floor in the building whereI work. It couldn't be more perfect.Good luck with the zoloftCat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.