Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBS-D for 8 years. I haven't had a very supportive medical network. I am hoping I have found some supportive docs in the past few months but it remains to be seen. Anyway, here are some questions I have.What is considered a flare up?I ask this because I never seem to be without IBS-D problems. It is 3-4 days a week every week. There is never a remission like I have heard discuss.Do people really go into remission?What is the definition of mild, moderate, severe?Can it be referred to as a disease?I ask this as I think I would get a more sympathetic reaction from my employer if I were able to call it a disease. Otherwise it sounds like hullaballooey.I am beginning to do a lot more reading and understanding. Especially thanks to this forum.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually disorder or syndrome tends to be how it is described, but they are just as bad as diseases. I mean AIDS was named as a syndrome and no one would call that no big deal.Some people are the same all the time and do not have good days or bad days or periods of remission. Some people have the same symptoms every single day, or the same number of days every single week.Remission can happen, but it isn't a classic feature of IBS that it goes strong for a few weeks then is gone for months on end like some other diseases/disorders have.Mild, usually doesn't interfere with your life. Either less often (so a few days a month) or when it happens it is not disruptive.To me moderate is when it sometimes interferes with your lifeSevere is when it usually interferes with your life.You may have one symptom that is more severe than others (so may have pain you can function through easily, but the urgency or number of BM's a day is severely limiting).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I am going to go with moderate to severe for my symptoms then. The urgency thing with the D has definitely had a huge impact on my quality of life. I stopped hiking, rowing, getting involved in organized activities because I couldn't count on my bowels cooperating. I am currently considering a career change that would allow me to work from home (and from the bathroom if needed) as I am having big time difficulty working in the office. It is causing too much stress. I definitely have several days a week every week all year long that are a problem. No remission here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.