Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to this forum as well as new to discussing my problems with people. I have been reading many of the posts on this forum and it seems I could have written most of them myself. I have cried and laughed at many of them as I can relate to what most of you are going through. I have had bowel/digestive problems for the past 25 years. I have just recently decided to try to get to the root of the problem (past 4 years). After 2 endoscopy tests, 2 colonoscopy tests, barium xrays, too many to count blood tests and fecal tests the answer is "maybe it's IBS" I have tailored my lifestyle to be able to cope with my daily pain/bloating/running for the bathroom but it has left me feeling like a hermit. I don't leave my house if I don't absolutley have to. I have taken many of the meds listed on these forums without any success yet. This leads me into my dilema. I am determined to not let this rule my life any longer. I decided to break some of my rules for survival and I thought the best way to shatter my fear of leaving the house was to take a trip...a 14 day trip with an 8 hr plane ride. I was pretty brave when I booked this trip but now that I have time to reflect I am left feeling anxious and perhaps downright terrified. This is where I need some sage advice. I suffer from loose BM (sometimes straight water) but can go many days having firm BM. The bigger problem is the URGENCY. When I gotta go I gotta go now. I have about a 2 min. time frame from when my body tells me it needs to go to the time till it goes, regardless of the circumstances. What I am hoping is someone could tell me is if there is a way that I will not get "that feeling" while travelling. (car and plane) Just to be normal for a few hours. I have considered fasting, copious amounts of meds, sleeping pills, and am slightly embarassed to say, diapers
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I am truly glad I came across this site and am relieved that I am not alone.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Have you tried Calcium Carbonate?? See Linda's Calcium Thread in the Diarrhea Forum (It's thumbtacked to the top of that page) It can firm up loose BM's.Try imodium with your meals.. even just a 1/4 tab. And do so a few days leading up to the trip maybe and of course..bring it with you.I have found..fasting (& skipping meals) is no good...and in fact brings on worse Diarrhea. Sure diapers may make you feel more comfortable or less anxious.. even if you never need them. Also speak with the flight attendants when you board to let them know you may have an urgent need for a bathroom because of your condition. You can also get a note from your Dr saying you have IBS..etc if you think that will help you.When ordering out at restaurants .. ASK questions.. about how things are prepared etc.. Of course stay away from known triggers and keep your diet as low fat as possible. Ask for heavy sauces "on the side" if they can't leave it off your plate. Ask about susbstitutions or deletions from their menus... etc. DON'T be shy about it... If they want your business they will try to accomodate you. Skip any places that say "no substitutions" on their menus if there are no 'safe' things for you on it.Planning is better than projecting fear about anything. So use the time to plan to make your trip as succesful and comfortable as possible instead of worrying.All the best for a great time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts