Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a reference to a doctor wanting to change the name of IBS to Enteric Dysmotility?Not sure how I feel about this yet if they did.I think neuroenteric dysmotility. Off the top of my head.I can find the reference online yet for it its in a new gastro magazine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Eric,I would be very glad if they changed it. The name "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" is so MISLEADING and so TRIVIALIZING. Today I saw my dentist after a looong time (well, didn't have an insurance for a long time
). They asked me if I have been diagnosed with anything since they last saw me. I said: Yes, Irritable Bowel Syndrome! My dentist and a girl who cleans my teeth started smirking and making kinda innocent jokes. I was embarrassed a bit, so they got a bit embarrassed too.
What I am trying to say is that the term "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" sounds as if it is not actually a serious disease/condition, but rather some sort of a funny cultural taboo that people shouldn't take seriously. Actually, only people who know about IBS take it seriously. Whenever you mention this term to a person who's never heard of it, it sounds frivolous and funny (to them).In addition, IBS is much more than irritable bowel. Sometimes it can lead to irritable everything in your body (including irritable person as a whole).The new name definitely contains signifiers that people, I think, could take more seriously. Although the signified stays the same, the change in the signifier gives it a different dimension.
By the way, Eric, I have to tell you a little bit about my progress, but I'll do it later tonight...hopefully...

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Popeye, I would prefer also that they changed the name. Tough in some ways with it though.I was wondering how it was going so that is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.