Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I go again on the worry treadmill! T minus one week until my sigmoidoscopy. Well, ya know... I hope it turns out that I have IBS and hemorroids. LOL! Isn't that a funny thing to wish for? My greatest fears are IBD or rectal CA (no family hx of though).It's been a bear letting go of anxiety the past few weeks. I have had IBS symptoms (gas, alt. D& C, increased frequency & urgency) and rectal bleeding daily for 5 weeks.I know rectal bleeding is not typical IBS. I saw my doc and had a CBC drawn last week, and results were within normal limits.Just need the sigmoidoscopy to find the source of the daily bleeding. The hard part is that I have anxiety problems anyway, and I happen to be an RN who works in med/surg. Well, we get rectal cancer patients every so often, and this kicks my anxiety into overdrive as I compare symptoms. I took care of one tonight, and am trying to chill out and not worry or play the "what-if game."The dang symptoms seem to get worse with stress-which makes me think it's IBS that caused bleeding (from frequent alternating D & C).Boy, I just need to relax!Anyone else had a sigmoidoscopy and went back to work the same day? I have to work later the same day of the procedure. I won't be having sedation. Is it do-able? I am debating whether to see if I should try & get the day off.I just needed to come here and share my fears tonight! The only one who knows about my unfortunate problems is my hubby. I have sworn him to secrecy and made him promise not to tell any family or friends about my health concerns (too private).I have been able to work and socialize while hiding my frequent trips to the bathroom (I'm very sly...heh heh).We have a fun trip planned for the weekend, so hopefully that will help me get my mind off my worries.Thanks for reading! I appreciate having this board as a forum & sounding board. :) It is such a bummer to have these unpleasant and unpredictable symptoms.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
When I had my colonoscopy it was because I had had a couple of black poo's (and I wasn't taking charcoal then) plus major weight loss (about 15kgs in a couple of months). I was so nervous for months beforehand that my poor bowels were all over the place. Then it turned out to be not so bad. Well the procedure was nothing and the prep wasn't fun but it wasn't terrible. I couldn't have gone back to work that same day though, I was still running to the loo to pass water after the procedure. Oh and guess what? My tests came back that I had IBS (and I was sort of hoping that they'd finally find something that could be fixed or repaired in some way, but not cancer obviously). I was sort of disappointed (sorry too tired to spell tonight) that it was IBS and GERD. Sorry am rambling. Good luck with the procedure and have an awesome break away! And yep, it's a bummer for sure. I think it's the unpredicability that bugs me the most. If I could think okay, I'll have major pain and D at 10am and be okay by midday it would be very helpful. At least I could plan to do things!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.