Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,New on the forum here, and perhaps with some good news.Background: In November, I started noticing a slight smell feces when I woke up in the morning. I didn't take much notice, and figured it must have been a 'bodily glitch' of some sort.. However, over the next few days, it would get progressively worse; At the bus, the smell was quite prominent - so bad, people wouldn't sit beside me. And at work, people would comment (hopefully not knowing I was emitting it...) My LG/FBO is (was?) so bad, in December I had to take a sick leave from work and avoid friends and family. I didn't have any control over the smell whatsoever. I also went from having bowel movement once a day to up to 10 times a day (perhaps due to stress related to LG/FBO). Suffice to say, it was literally a shitty Christmas for me. Without even thinking, I went to see a GI at the start of December. Unfortunately, he didn't find much - visually nor through biopsy. The only thing that seemed somewhat off, was my colon being somewhat swollen at the lower left quadrant. A fecal sample analysis also came back "negative". When he called December 10. to give me the result, he said "you're all normal". That's when I first told him I would also smell like feces almost continuously during the day.Without sounding too confident, he prescribed Entrocort to be taken *cough* up the rear (as an enema) every night for two weeks. He said it might help mend my swollen colon. During the same period, I altso started taking probiotics as a supplement and doing exercises for strengthening my perineum(?). The first 10-12 days, I didn't get better at all. As a matter of fact, it got way worse. But then, exactly 15 days after I started taking Entrocort/probiotics/the exercies, it's like someone switched a light switch. The smell went from 100% to 50 to 25 in 3 days, and yesterday it almost disappeared completely. Today it's still very weak. I'm also down from having 10 BMs a day to having 2-3.I'm writing this here because for the last few weeks I've been scouring the Internet for solutions, and this is one of the more helpful forums I came across and lurked on. I hope my solution works, and if it does - I also hope it could help someone else. I wouldn't wish FBO upon my worst enemy.Physical state:
  • 27 years old male
  • Exercise regularly (in very good shape and health)
  • I've had mild IBS-D for 5-6 years
  • No other diseases or problems other than IBS and recently also LG/FBO
Symptoms prior to/during LG/FBO:
  • More or less constant feeling of incomplete BM
  • a feeling best described as 'warmth' around my anus
  • In the beginning, it seemed worse when I sat than when I was standing.
I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah well. It's back.
Entrocort provided some relief, but apparently didn't cure the smell!Called a GE today. She seems convinced it's bacteria, so I'll have additional tests done.I'll let you know what&how when the results come in.Gotta say - after reading these forums I become more and more afraid I'll join you guys (no offence) in a stinky, ever lasting quest for a solution to a problem unheard of... This is a nightmare

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear that your "cure" was short-lived.I have had a similiar condition for around 3 years now, and it really sucks. I have the same symptoms that many of the people here do, namely that it always feels "warm" around my anus and I emit a smell. 95% of the time I can't smell anything, but the reactions of others make it pretty clear that they notice.In any case, around a year ago I went to a GI because I was occasionally getting small amounts of blood on the toilet paper after wiping, and he found some minor hemmerhoids and ordered a colonoscopy. This found nothing of interest, but revealed that I had internal hemmerhoids as well, right near the anus.He ordered 7 treatments of infrared coagulation to treat the hemmerhoids. Basically he sticks something up there and hits a button on a machine. So far I have only had 3 treatments, but I have found a noticeable improvement for a couple days afterwards.Initially, I was overjoyed, because like you, I thought I finally fixed this problem. To my dismay, the smell started coming back within 4 days, and I was back to square one. Also, the blood problem remains, although it's not a big deal, the smell is 10000x worse.In general I have noticed that I have good days and bad days. I am not sure what causes these days, but I have had times where I could sit next to many people with no smell at all, and days where someone could smell me from 5 feet away. I think my mental status has something to do with it, as it seems to smell less when I am relaxed. Initially, I did not smell around family and it was only bad when sitting with a lot of strangers. However, I am now an equal opportunity smell offender, managing to smell around anyone.I've spent far too much money (around $1000) on the nethergarments activated charcoal underwear over the years. They are around $75 each, and I've found that they can help the smell, but only for a day or two. Initially, they completely stopped any odor, but lately I can tell that people can smell me even when I have a fresh pair. The reason I buy them is because nothing else even remotely works, and they can be helpful for certain one-time situations, such as a job interview. Hopefully a cure will come at some point, however this seems highly unlikely. Go to nearly any doctor and they'd think you're crazy, so it's not like there is much medical research being done to fix this. Most people would laugh if you told them about LG/FBO, so for the most part we suffer in silence, while alienating everyone around us.I'm hoping that someone on this board will stumble on a solution at some point. I visit every couple of weeks, but the results have been discouraging so far. I have VERY thick skin as a result of living with this for so long, but it definately hurts career advancement potential, so encouragement can only help you out so much. I guess we just have to cross our fingers and hope that our condition comes to a sudden stop one day (very unlikely), or someone finds a cure or relatively affordable treatment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, i'm new on this forum. I have also this problem ( IBS + FBO ) since 8 years and i am sad when i read your comment. Toogasy you said it was bad when you are sitting with a lot of strangers. I also noticed it ! Very strange ...Do you have, also, sewers odors ? I hope we'll cure this because the life is not very funny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's definately worse when I'm sitting with strangers, but like I said, I have good days and bad days. I have no idea what causes them, but I don't think it's related to diet. I've had awful and great days the day after eating the same thing.Most of the time I don't smell it, but when I do it's like garbage or a sewer smell. I go to school and one time the professor walked in and asked the person in the front of the room why it smelled so bad. He said it smelled like a gym lockerroom, so maybe that's what it's like. Generally, I think people get the impression that I never shower, which sucks because sometimes I've taken a shower 15 minutes before meeting someone but it doesn't help.I'd love to find out the reason for this, because it's definately not a coincidence that most people on this forum have the same symptoms, but until then most days $$$$$$ing suck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.