Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently, i went to the doctor and he told me i had a HEART MURMUR.. so i went to the cardiologist and got an ecco. Needless to say, i was told i have a MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE (MVP).. it's not serious, it just means that there is back flow when a valve is supposed to be completely closed.anyways, i did some research on the MVP, only to find out that it affects your autonomous nervous system, which may in turn, lead to bad IBS, D, and pains. Also, people have an intolerance to alcohol , caffine, and are sensitive to all meds.. along with a whole bunch of other symptoms.Can anyone comment one way or the other!!??thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey, where did you read that? I'd like to look into that too. I have MVP and the stuff you said makes a lot of sense to me. I have always always always had problems with medicines. I am over-sensitive to most things and always have side affects (my doctor deny this of course). I can get plum whoozy on just a half of a wine cooler! I'd like to read more about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would like to know where you got that info also. I was diagnosed with very minor MVP in my twenties. It has never caused me any problem by itself, but now I'm curious.I don't have the sensitivities you mentioned, except I can't have more than two drinks in an evening or I get nauseated. I just chalked that up to lack of tolerance, as I drink rarely (unlike my H.S. and college days!).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for writing. i bet there are more of you out there who can atest to all of these similarities. It seems i have things wrong with me left and right... and it all seems to relate to the MVP. I think you should definitely look at these 2 websites, as well as others on the net. It seems, MVP and MVPS (the syndrome) are controversial issues.. but i'm in favor of believing there are underlying issues....which cause all of these weird things to happen to me!thank you soooo sooo much!
http://www.mvpsupport.com/ http://www.consciouschoice.com/holisticmd/hmd093.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
In this month's (August) Elle magazine there's a article about common grouping of symptoms which is now referred to as "MVP Syndrome". It includes IBS and the title of the article is called, "The Thin, Successful Woman's Disease".Hope this helps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a mild heart murmur myself. Other similarities with many IBS sufferers here: bad periods, occasional trouble with coughs/phlegm, gall bladder surgery.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mine was diagnosed by a cardiologist who I went to years ago because I was having chest pains. He found it on the EKG. He said it was subclinical; he could only hear it faintly when I was lying down in one certain position. I imagine if it were more a more significant backflow your primary doc would be able to hear the murmur.I didn't have anything else wrong with my heart. It was chest wall pain. Cardiologist said most people he sees have that and not heart trouble. He gave me Anaprox and that took care of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey... this makes me happy knowing that there is a correlation between IBS and MVP. I'm glad others can relate.As far as detection, i'm not 100% sure b/c i have an appointment with the cardiologist in 2 weeks. All i know is that i have MVP, and everything i know is from the internet. I do know that heart murmurs can be intermittent. I am 21 yrs old and don't know how long i've had MVP since this was the first time of detection.I don't have the other symptoms such as PANIC ATTACKS, chest pain, fatigue, migraines.. etc... but i do have the IBS, COLD!! hands and feet, and dizziness, and an irregular heart beat.Does anyone know how this all gets treated though. If i can help the MVP, will the IBS ease up , or go away?thanx!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,I was diagnosed w/MVP just about 2 years ago & have been taking propranolol (a beta blocker). I also cut out all caffeine. I haven't had a cup of real coffee or Coke Cola since August, 2000! It was hard, but worth it. Since I started taking this tiny pill, my heart no longer feels like its beating 100 miles per hour & I haven't had a migraine either. But unfortunately, it has had absolutely no effect on my IBS. As always sometimes I have a stretch of days of being ok, and then I'll have a stretch of days where whatever I eat flies right out me w/in an hour. Anyway, everything I have ever read on MVP always mentioned IBS. There are tons of sites on the web. Just do a search on "mitral valve prolapse" & you'll find alot of interesting reading. The best thing you could do for yourself is read up on your condition. The more you know, the better equipped you will be to discuss your condition w/your doctor and find a way to take care of it. Good luck!FranC

G

·
Gasgirl,have your chest pains ever reappeared after taking the Anaprox?I'm not overjoyed that there was a correlation found with MVP and IBS which I also discovered a couple months ago on web [see posting on Common Thread]. Reason being I had and still do have the chest pains for 10 years. Then the IBS stuff kicked in much later. So I'm really wondering which came first, even though symptoms would indicate the MVP did. No one knows what causes MVP [it is believed to be a condition since birth] and I wish that could be found out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi, ND--No, they didn't recur in that way--it was an overall heavy, tight, achy feeling. I do have one spot on my left side between two ribs that bothers me off and on, though. It's just a muscle that seems to get irritated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks sooo much for posting that link to the magazine. i quickly looked for the article in the supermarket, however... i never thought it would be called the thin successful woman (or somethign to that affect!)thanks again... i will read it in full later!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thats really interesting because I have MVP too and I started getting IBS pretty close to the time that I was diagnozed. I have IBS and major C though, not D at all. Maybe there is some link there, its not impossible, lets face it, the body is all connected, not all seperate entities as the medical profession sees it.Well, the issue is what to do about it I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can't help but wonder, if there is a some sort of connection betweeen MVP and IBS??? Wouldn't that be a kick in the *** to know there is something to that? I have a mitral valve prolapse too!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
meinny4567-have you checked out the websites i posted on this thread. it's intersting. the mitral valve prolapse ties in many interesting symptoms, including abdominal pain and IBS and diarrhea... you should check out the websites or do some research on your own.are you on any meds for your prolapse? just curious.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts