Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,I need to make a decision about my meds and was hoping you could help. Several years ago I went on Paxil for anxiety (an we all know how anxiety and IBS play off each other) It really made a difference in my life except for the fact that I gained 25 pounds and literally had no sex drive. I don't know about you but when I am on an antidepressant things are better and so you wonder of indeed you really need it. So I went off Paxil. Well, for the last 2 years I have been playing around with Welbutrin (yuck) and Lexapro. My IBS has gotten quite unpredictable and I am seriously considering going back on Paxil. Does anyone have any advice for me. I would really appreciate it!

·
Banned
955 Posts
I tried CYMBALTA 60 mg's for about 2 months for neuropathic pain and it didn't help me for that issue.But , it is suppose to be a great anti-depressant medication.And also help with mild anxiety issue's.Ask your pharmacist what drug would be the most effective.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My IBS is probably 90% anxiety driven. I've been on Paxil since June of last year and it's made a huge difference. I know what you mean about thinking I don't need it - because I feel so good, I forget how bad I felt before. I have gained 10 lbs. since then (and I was overweight to begin with) so I am seriously cracking down on my diet and trying to lose it, plus some of the other pounds from before. I think that part of the weight gain is the "I don't care" attitude I have. Yes, I do have a diminished sex drive, but the bigger problem is that it has really disturbed my sleep. I can't sleep at night and then can't get up in the morning. If I didn't work an 8-5 job, it would be okay I guess. I do much better later in the day. But - overall, my life is so much richer without the anxiety and IBS-D that I'm making the sacrifices to deal with the side effects.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm also taking paxil. It has made a huge difference but I've gained 25 pounds since I've started taking it. My life is 100 times better but I don't like the weight gain. I also notice the sleeping problems. I have the most vivid dreams if and when I do sleep. For now the side effects are worth being able to leave my house. I'm going to try and get off of it or cut down on my dose in the near future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was taking Paxil for many years with great results! I actually had a life outside the bathroom and could eat whatever I wanted with no problems. Hence the weight gain also. I would deal with the weight gain to have a better life. I can't take Paxil now because I am pregnant but as soon as I deliver....

·
Registered
117 Posts
I took Paxil 20mgs for 4 years and yes, it is a great AD. controls anxiety very well. I gained 28lbs on it and my sex drive was bad as well. I was switched to Effexor Xr(very low dose) and have been on it for 5 years. Great drug, I dropped 12lbs immediately after starting. The only bad thing is that it can cause constipation and since I developed the IBS, which I am mostly C with occasional D my new doc is switching me to Lexapro, which I will start Sat. My advice to you is that if you feel good and can handle the weight gain and sex drive thing, I would stay with it. However if you can't deal with it and If you are IBS, predominately D, ask about the Effexor XR, I have had 0 side effects,other then making my C worse and it did not bother the sex drive near as bad as Paxil.Hope I do well on Lexapro, I hate all this anxiety and IBS ####.Good luck,DF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to respond! Right now I am going to give Lexapro another try, but if it doesn't do much I will go back on Paxil. It's just too bad we have to make a decision to gain weight and have no sex drive in order to beable to have a somewhat "normal" life!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Two months ago I was the biggest supporter of Paxil anyone could ever ask for. I had been on it for 5 years and it had given me my life back, as far as keeping out of the bathroom.The thing is, I had gained about 50 pounds, but I didn't care. I had no sex drive, but I didn't care. I had no emotions, but I didn't care.On March 10 of this year, I had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff, and I was off work for 3 weeks to recover. I had a lot of time to evaluate my life, and I realized that since I have been on the Paxil, my entire life has been falling apart around me, and I simply couldn't care less. The Paxil had totally turned off all emotions, and I had to decide between IBS relief or my life, and I chose my life. I quit the Paxil last Wednesday (4/12/06) cold turkey - not recommended, believe me - it was one of the dumbest moves I have ever made, should have tapered!I have had IBS since I was 5 years old, formally diagnosed at 20, and have suffered like everyone here on this board for a very long time from this debilitating condition. Being able to get up in the morning and leave the house instead of sitting around waiting to be sure I was done using the bathroom, not suffering from the terrible pain, etc. was an absolutely wonderful thing for me after starting the Paxil, but when it really started affecting my health, and the well being of my family, is when I got scared.BTW, I am starting Zelnorm now because I am IBS C/D, and so far it has helped pretty well, although not as well as the Paxil did.Please just consider what I am saying about this medicine. Having no emotions is truly not a good thing, and if you are taking the Paxil simply for the IBS, and not anxiety or depression, just investigate other options before making a firm decision.Terri

·
Registered
33 Posts
quote:Originally posted by irish gal:Hi All,I need to make a decision about my meds and was hoping you could help. Several years ago I went on Paxil for anxiety (an we all know how anxiety and IBS play off each other) It really made a difference in my life except for the fact that I gained 25 pounds and literally had no sex drive. I don't know about you but when I am on an antidepressant things are better and so you wonder of indeed you really need it. So I went off Paxil. Well, for the last 2 years I have been playing around with Welbutrin (yuck) and Lexapro. My IBS has gotten quite unpredictable and I am seriously considering going back on Paxil. Does anyone have any advice for me. I would really appreciate it!
welbutrin 450 mg and Librax worked for me

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think if your looking for an anti-depressant that is also good for anxiety you should stick with Lexapro, I did use it for anxiety and my wife uses it for depression. Just have you APRN play with the doses until it work for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I take celexa but it's a generic form called citalopram...it's helped sooo much with my anxiety and panic attacks...It's given me my life back and I'll be forever grateful. I've tried paxil too but it gave me severe D...which was the last thing I needed LOL.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am being weened off citalopram after being on it for two months. I think it made my D worse.Once I'm weened off that I am taking clempramine (spelling is wrong). I took this for depression a couple of years back and it helped my D, which was nice. I'm not depressed anymore but doctor is making me use this anti-depressent to help my anxiety.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.