Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had problems for years with my stomach. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with ibs and last year I had a bad case of giardia I was on all kinds of medications finally i tested negative . Recently I stared having diarrhea and gas in my stomach.It has gotten worse with a smell that keeps getting worse. Yesterday i took Immodian and now I have not gone to the bathroom and I'm getting cramps.Any suggestions

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Do you eat dairy? If so, try avoiding it. Dairy is a very common cause of gas and other problems.Other things that might cause your problems are sugar or beans, or a food allergy. I tend to jump to the conclusion that problems are food-related because that's what I have. Have you ever tried changing your diet? If not, I recommend this book: "Food Allergies and Food Intolerance: The Complete Guide to Their Identification and Treatment" by Dr. Jonathan Brostoff. It's written for lay people and has all the info in it.Good luck

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Do you eat dairy? If so, try avoiding it. Dairy is a very common cause of gas and other problems.Other things that might cause your problems are sugar or beans, or a food allergy. I tend to jump to the conclusion that problems are food-related because that's what I have. Have you ever tried changing your diet? If not, I recommend this book: "Food Allergies and Food Intolerance: The Complete Guide to Their Identification and Treatment" by Dr. Jonathan Brostoff. It's written for lay people and has all the info in it.Good luck

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Imodium can sometimes work too well and block you up.Are you drinking plenty of water?? That may help keep things moving. It is OK to not go for a day or two so I would tend to just let things work themselves out rather than try to force a BM until you are ready. If it feels like you are ready to go but the stool is hard to pass, instead of straining you may want to try a glycerine suppository to help the stool come out.Also peppermint (As long as you don't have problems with acid reflux) may relieve the cramps. Also if you have prescription antispasmodics those would help as well.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Imodium can sometimes work too well and block you up.Are you drinking plenty of water?? That may help keep things moving. It is OK to not go for a day or two so I would tend to just let things work themselves out rather than try to force a BM until you are ready. If it feels like you are ready to go but the stool is hard to pass, instead of straining you may want to try a glycerine suppository to help the stool come out.Also peppermint (As long as you don't have problems with acid reflux) may relieve the cramps. Also if you have prescription antispasmodics those would help as well.K.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Yo, Witty One: _______________________________________"...last year I had a bad case of giardia I was on all kinds of medications finally i tested negative . Recently I stared having diarrhea and gas in my stomach.It has gotten worse ..." _________________________________________What you wrote says to me "I got sick...it was giardiasis...I was treated until active cultures came back negative....symptoms have suddenly exacerbated....But I don't see "I went right back to my doctor..." which is the first thing that you must do..get rechecked that some sneaky oocysts were not hding out somewhere and escaped detetction only to reawaken, or that the original medication may have altered the balance of normal bacteria in the bowel and now the consequences begin to manifest etc.You need to go right to the doc with this as these represent possibilities that can be detected and treated readily. OKAY???Now if you DID go and get checked, what was done? what was found?Thanks....if you have no answer please go asap.
MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Yo, Witty One: _______________________________________"...last year I had a bad case of giardia I was on all kinds of medications finally i tested negative . Recently I stared having diarrhea and gas in my stomach.It has gotten worse ..." _________________________________________What you wrote says to me "I got sick...it was giardiasis...I was treated until active cultures came back negative....symptoms have suddenly exacerbated....But I don't see "I went right back to my doctor..." which is the first thing that you must do..get rechecked that some sneaky oocysts were not hding out somewhere and escaped detetction only to reawaken, or that the original medication may have altered the balance of normal bacteria in the bowel and now the consequences begin to manifest etc.You need to go right to the doc with this as these represent possibilities that can be detected and treated readily. OKAY???Now if you DID go and get checked, what was done? what was found?Thanks....if you have no answer please go asap.
MNL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.