Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK--today was the day of my Rhuemy visit.It is definatly Fibro with the added hassle of Lyme but that should be gone soon.She wants me to start on Trazadone.I am very sensitive to meds and was wondering has anyone here been on this and how it effected them.I am now down to 3 days of work per week and back to water therapy.thanks Debbie

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Hi! Sorry, can't help you with that new med. I've never heard of it, but I'll bet someone else has on this board. So, the Rheumy definitely feels it's Lyme's and Fibro. Well, at least now you know. I do hope you find some relief soon. Take care.Karen

G

·
Trazodone. Good medication but am wondering why they want you on it? It is actually an antidepressant but in order to use it as such it would be a very high dose and you would be stoned. They gave me a low dose as I couldn't sleep very well and antidepressants will block neuro transmitters so the pain that you have isn't registered so easily to your brain. I'm also very sensitive to meds so am not on much of anything. I would say to give it a try..and thats pretty unheard of from me. I've taken so many different meds that if someone says try this I almost throw up from fear of the side effects. I never had a problem with the trazodone though. See if they just want you on one dose at bedtime. If so hopefully it will help you sleep, be less depressed and it should help the pain sensations.Let me know how it goes ok???Take CareDebI forgot..try looking it up on webmd or www.rxlist.com that should ease your mind. [This message has been edited by brksmom (edited 10-25-2000).]

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info everyone.Deb--they want me on it because i wake up every night at 3am. I go to sleep just fine and sleep fine till 3am---unfortunatly i can not function on 4 hours of sleepIt is not for depression and the dosage is 50mg at night.You sound just like me---i literally am scared to take new meds and by the time i read the possible side effects etc... i am in such a state i cant take it. My Dr. just gives up :)The reason also for this drug is because i reacted badly to the standard antidepressants they use for fibro ie: nortryptaline .....Deb---can i cut these tabs in have and start with 25mg?As i am not happy to have this---i am glad to finally have a DX once and for all.Thanks againDebbie

G

·
Debbielee,Yes you can cut them in half..especially if they are scored. I would suggest asking your Dr or Dr's nurse first though. Don't think that your bothering them either, Its their JOB!!!! I was on 100 mg but only at bedtime. I did not notice any side effects at all. Not even feeling groggy in the morning. It did take a week or more before I actually slept more than 3 hours at a time though. What is with waking up at 3 A.M.?? That seems to be my timing too. LOL. I am on no antidepressants as my body will not tolerate them. For the panic I take Klonopin and at night time Neurontin. My shrink started me on "speed" last month in hopse to get me motivated. Its working ok I guess. I know meds are scary and I start sweatng if I need an antibiotic...which I can only tolerate one of. geeze. Anyway. Good luck to you and let me know what you find out. All I can say is that for me Trazodone was the LEAST problem!!!!Take Care of yourself!!!!
)Deb

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deb,The pharmasist said it would be ok to cut them in half to start.Question: If you can not tolerate antidepressants --how come trazadone didnt bother you? Why dont you take it anymore?What speed? i will keep you posted and thanks again.Denny--your absolutly right--sleep is very important and i think right now my biggest problem as it effects my mood.Debbie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.