Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to arrange for a classroom with a bathroom (they do exist in my district.)I have been on a medical leave for 3 years from my teaching job. I was given my assignment today and I asked if there was a bathroom. I was told that I'd have access to a bathroom like everyone. I don't think there is an understanding of ibd in the general population. My symptoms are explosive d with almost no warning. I of course am terrified about a new school, new co-workers and 20 7year olds. Since lotronex was pulled all of my symptoms are back. Other than praying for lotronex's return and taking 5 or 6 immodium when I must go out I don't know what to do.I would like as many people to reply as possible, who have severe attacks of diarrhea so I can print and share with personnel. As a teacher perhaps I can educate people that have no clue about this condition.Thanks so much. I only discovered this web site three weeks ago and I feel very "connected" to people suffering from this misery.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
There are lots of teachers on this BB, who suffer from IBS. I hope they can help. This sounds very difficult. I wish others understood we have a real disability.------------------***Gail

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
There are lots of teachers on this BB, who suffer from IBS. I hope they can help. This sounds very difficult. I wish others understood we have a real disability.------------------***Gail

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Is there any way to get a letter from your doctor explaining your medical need for direct access to a bathroom? As much as we try to explain this condition to people, they probably think you just want your own bathroom like everyone else. I think having written back up from your doc will have a lot of weight.Hope this works our for you!Ty

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Is there any way to get a letter from your doctor explaining your medical need for direct access to a bathroom? As much as we try to explain this condition to people, they probably think you just want your own bathroom like everyone else. I think having written back up from your doc will have a lot of weight.Hope this works our for you!Ty

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am a retired teacher. And I agree that you should ask your doctor to write a letter describing your condition and the medical need for a bathroom near by. I'm sure this will get you some compliance. I think the school district could be held liable for violating federal laws on accommodating people with medical disabilities. Redfern

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am a retired teacher. And I agree that you should ask your doctor to write a letter describing your condition and the medical need for a bathroom near by. I'm sure this will get you some compliance. I think the school district could be held liable for violating federal laws on accommodating people with medical disabilities. Redfern

G

·
I know what you talk about! When I used to teach, I had a dear colleague who was teaching next door always ready to keep an eye on the kids while i was running to the BR. Just to know she was there was a great reassurance. ( and for me...it is a stress-related issue...so it really helped).Good luck...and don't worry, you WILL find a solution

G

·
I know what you talk about! When I used to teach, I had a dear colleague who was teaching next door always ready to keep an eye on the kids while i was running to the BR. Just to know she was there was a great reassurance. ( and for me...it is a stress-related issue...so it really helped).Good luck...and don't worry, you WILL find a solution

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for all the input so far. Believe it or not my doctor wrote a letter about my condition (I had to pay $25.00 for that) It just doesn't seem to be taken seriously. The teachers union told me that it might not stand up in court with the american's with disabilities act. I notice all the schools are doing everything to become compliant for students with disabilities. I know there are schools with portables (they have bathrooms and I was in one for 10 years without the ibs problem.) I am getting very nervous about this because I have experienced problems with D in the car etc. I really need to get back to work.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you for all the input so far. Believe it or not my doctor wrote a letter about my condition (I had to pay $25.00 for that) It just doesn't seem to be taken seriously. The teachers union told me that it might not stand up in court with the american's with disabilities act. I notice all the schools are doing everything to become compliant for students with disabilities. I know there are schools with portables (they have bathrooms and I was in one for 10 years without the ibs problem.) I am getting very nervous about this because I have experienced problems with D in the car etc. I really need to get back to work.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I don't know what to suggest about your workplace, but have you thought of trying out new things to alleviate the D? Antidepressants can bring bowel movements near to 'normal'. Hypnotherapy is good too. Calcium carbonate supplements may also help you. Try these out or ask your doctor about these. Take care,susan

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I don't know what to suggest about your workplace, but have you thought of trying out new things to alleviate the D? Antidepressants can bring bowel movements near to 'normal'. Hypnotherapy is good too. Calcium carbonate supplements may also help you. Try these out or ask your doctor about these. Take care,susan

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have had explosive D also, in the car. I know what you are talking about. Since I discovered this site last summer it has helped me so much! I don't have normal BMs YET, but am working on it. Things have slowed down drastically because of the Caltrate (read the past posts on this). I take 3 a day, one with each meal, if I forget I take it anyway when I can. Recently I have been trying the diet in the book "Eating for IBS", see it on the home page, click and read about it. I'm sure it is not for everyone and maybe not a cure for everyone, but so far has helped slow down the D. This really helps as I can get to the bathroom without an accident. I can feel it coming on, whereas before it would just happen without warning. Keep reading and good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have had explosive D also, in the car. I know what you are talking about. Since I discovered this site last summer it has helped me so much! I don't have normal BMs YET, but am working on it. Things have slowed down drastically because of the Caltrate (read the past posts on this). I take 3 a day, one with each meal, if I forget I take it anyway when I can. Recently I have been trying the diet in the book "Eating for IBS", see it on the home page, click and read about it. I'm sure it is not for everyone and maybe not a cure for everyone, but so far has helped slow down the D. This really helps as I can get to the bathroom without an accident. I can feel it coming on, whereas before it would just happen without warning. Keep reading and good luck!

G

·
I really feel for you. I had explosive D for most of my adult life, and being in Customer Service, it was tough when I was on the phone. You can't just say, oh, please hold while I run to the bathroom. Kept popping those immodium. Have you tried Colestid? I found this board 2 months ago and found it had helped some people in our case. For me it has been a life saver, and I don't think I ever would have found it without this board. Since Lotronex was pulled, I think we had found what life could be like, and there are a lot more people looking how we can live normally again. Don't give up trying!!

G

·
I really feel for you. I had explosive D for most of my adult life, and being in Customer Service, it was tough when I was on the phone. You can't just say, oh, please hold while I run to the bathroom. Kept popping those immodium. Have you tried Colestid? I found this board 2 months ago and found it had helped some people in our case. For me it has been a life saver, and I don't think I ever would have found it without this board. Since Lotronex was pulled, I think we had found what life could be like, and there are a lot more people looking how we can live normally again. Don't give up trying!!

G

·
I am a teacher also. I had IBS-D for years and the only thing that worked for me was to eat lots of bananas. Whenever I felt the D coming on, I imediately ate a banana or two. At the health food store they now have dried bananas that are whole and gummy. Those worked for me also. I know this sounds simple, but that's what worked for me. The last few years I've switched over to the C side. I guess this IBS thing is here to stay.

G

·
I am a teacher also. I had IBS-D for years and the only thing that worked for me was to eat lots of bananas. Whenever I felt the D coming on, I imediately ate a banana or two. At the health food store they now have dried bananas that are whole and gummy. Those worked for me also. I know this sounds simple, but that's what worked for me. The last few years I've switched over to the C side. I guess this IBS thing is here to stay.

G

·
I'm not sure what you teach but I know that many of the Kindergarten classes in our area have restrooms in the classroom (if that is an option all!).I have found that my IBS changed from the urgent D. when I completely cut out dairy and changed to soy and rice milk and added caltrate with D. Perhaps looking over what you eat and eliminate certain foods for awhile would help. I have learned a great deal from this site so keep reading. It helps to see what's been tried. Although I have realized we all are so different that we have to go on our own and see what works for each of us.I've even tried the probiotics and eating soy yogurt to make sure there is plenty of good bacteria and not the bad (to fight the D), it has also helped me. I truly know how frustrating this can all get. I wish you the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.