Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have just been to see a herbalist ? He did accupuntcher ( sorry for the spelling ), and gave me herbs to take ?? . Well my problem is he has just told me he is going to treat me for stress !Well i went to see him for my IBS and the fact that i feel so #### (ha ha ha ) for the week before and the week i am on ? now then my main symtom is that i bloat , C and i fell so tired that i feel i will faint . I know that when we are having a bout of IBS we all feel abit stressed ( i hope that is right and i'm not alone). but i fell that alot of mine is low blood sugar , i kept trying to tell him this but he said no its stress . do any of you suffer from low blood sugar and if so how do you control it ? and should i be taking any sort of vitamin eg; iron , vit c . please i would love to hear from you . Thank you HEIDI

·
Registered
86 Posts
Heidi, I had posted this in another thread, and just copied it to here for you. If you want to talk, just let me know. I have become pretty good at managing my hypoglaucemia. Hugs, and best wishes.============================================I, too, have low blood sugar. Diagnosed as hypoglaucemic.(sp?) For awhile, dr's wouldn't test for it, saying it was just my bp dropping low. I bought a glucose monitor and tested myself for awhile. Finally went to a Endocrine dr. at Vanderbilt, and she confirmed it by doing blood work. Sometimes it gets really low, and I get weak. When it drops, my bp drops as well. I'll get a migraine, and super dizzy. (also, very very very tired!)I make sure I don't eat 'refined' sugar when I feel bad. I remember I used to wake up at odd times just CRAVING sugar. (worst thing you can do)I keep glucose tablets in my purse. (they are very cheap at the drugstore) I check my sugar probably once every couple of days, just to keep an eye on it. My doctor likes to keep track of it too. I keep a journal of IBS, Low BP, glucose levels and diet. (migraines and Rheumatoid arth. pain goes in there too) Fruit is good to snack on, peanut butter, those 'fruit juice ice pops' are good. Just something that's not a 'snickers' bar!! LOL!!That will send you in a huge low. Good luck and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Heidi, I had posted this in another thread, and just copied it to here for you. If you want to talk, just let me know. I have become pretty good at managing my hypoglaucemia. Hugs, and best wishes.============================================I, too, have low blood sugar. Diagnosed as hypoglaucemic.(sp?) For awhile, dr's wouldn't test for it, saying it was just my bp dropping low. I bought a glucose monitor and tested myself for awhile. Finally went to a Endocrine dr. at Vanderbilt, and she confirmed it by doing blood work. Sometimes it gets really low, and I get weak. When it drops, my bp drops as well. I'll get a migraine, and super dizzy. (also, very very very tired!)I make sure I don't eat 'refined' sugar when I feel bad. I remember I used to wake up at odd times just CRAVING sugar. (worst thing you can do)I keep glucose tablets in my purse. (they are very cheap at the drugstore) I check my sugar probably once every couple of days, just to keep an eye on it. My doctor likes to keep track of it too. I keep a journal of IBS, Low BP, glucose levels and diet. (migraines and Rheumatoid arth. pain goes in there too) Fruit is good to snack on, peanut butter, those 'fruit juice ice pops' are good. Just something that's not a 'snickers' bar!! LOL!!That will send you in a huge low. Good luck and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ok, this would be a very unscientific approach, but maybe worth thinking about??Do you feel better (less tired, less faint) when you eat frequently?Do you feel better imediately after eating something sugary?If so, I personally would suspect drops in blood sugar. You could try eliminating sugar and other refined carbohydrates (white flour products, white rice) from your diet completely and seeing if your low blood sugar symptoms ease off. Even better, could you ask your 'proper/regular/family/orthodox' doctor for a glucose tolerance (or is it 'intolerance'?) test? Have you asked your 'proper/regular/family/orthodox' doctor about hypoglycemia? I have hypoglycemia in addition to IBS and M.E/CFS. I find I feel a lot better after eating something sugar, but a lot worse 90 minutes later. It's the cycle of highs and lows of blood sugar. Now I do not eat any sugar or refined carbohydrates during the day and I am feeling a lot better on the hypoglycemia front. I eat complex carbohydrates and protein instead for snacks.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ok, this would be a very unscientific approach, but maybe worth thinking about??Do you feel better (less tired, less faint) when you eat frequently?Do you feel better imediately after eating something sugary?If so, I personally would suspect drops in blood sugar. You could try eliminating sugar and other refined carbohydrates (white flour products, white rice) from your diet completely and seeing if your low blood sugar symptoms ease off. Even better, could you ask your 'proper/regular/family/orthodox' doctor for a glucose tolerance (or is it 'intolerance'?) test? Have you asked your 'proper/regular/family/orthodox' doctor about hypoglycemia? I have hypoglycemia in addition to IBS and M.E/CFS. I find I feel a lot better after eating something sugar, but a lot worse 90 minutes later. It's the cycle of highs and lows of blood sugar. Now I do not eat any sugar or refined carbohydrates during the day and I am feeling a lot better on the hypoglycemia front. I eat complex carbohydrates and protein instead for snacks.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I eat frequently during the day/evening. I wake up craving sugar and during the day, I crave anything liquid. And it's to the point where it's a 'GOTTA HAVE IT NOW" sort of thing. Then about 2 hrs later, I get the dizzies, shakiness, cold sweats etc. My father turned type 2 diabetic in his 40's, so I'm a little paranoid about it.Yes, a glucose tolerance test (GTT) will be able to give you much more information!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I eat frequently during the day/evening. I wake up craving sugar and during the day, I crave anything liquid. And it's to the point where it's a 'GOTTA HAVE IT NOW" sort of thing. Then about 2 hrs later, I get the dizzies, shakiness, cold sweats etc. My father turned type 2 diabetic in his 40's, so I'm a little paranoid about it.Yes, a glucose tolerance test (GTT) will be able to give you much more information!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've had IBS for almost 9 years now. EVERY major flare-up I've had during those 9 years involved feelings that I have described as low blood sugar.Since I've taken the following steps, I've noticed less frequent flare-ups and the "low blood sugar" sensations are reduced when flare-ups do occur:1. removing ALL high fructose corn syrup products from my diet2. significantly reducing other forms of sugar and caffeine3. replacing white wheat products (such as white pasta) or white rice products with whole wheat or brown rice.I feel my energy levels are more even over the day and when I get hungry for a meal, it isn't as catastrophic as it used to be. The three steps above are in priority order. I think the caffeine is mostly related to cramping and pain and less related to blood sugar. Good luck & good health!Steve

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've had IBS for almost 9 years now. EVERY major flare-up I've had during those 9 years involved feelings that I have described as low blood sugar.Since I've taken the following steps, I've noticed less frequent flare-ups and the "low blood sugar" sensations are reduced when flare-ups do occur:1. removing ALL high fructose corn syrup products from my diet2. significantly reducing other forms of sugar and caffeine3. replacing white wheat products (such as white pasta) or white rice products with whole wheat or brown rice.I feel my energy levels are more even over the day and when I get hungry for a meal, it isn't as catastrophic as it used to be. The three steps above are in priority order. I think the caffeine is mostly related to cramping and pain and less related to blood sugar. Good luck & good health!Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, thank you all for reading my post. My gut feeling has been telling me for months that this is my problem BUT when i get like this all sorts of things go threw my mind (an i feeling this way because i'm going off my head ) , i did go to my GP to talk to him about it and he told me to make sure that i eat every three hours (thats easier said then done when you feel so ill) and then he told me to keep a mars bar in my bag , so if i do feel ill i should eat it ?? .I feel better that i'm not alone with this i was begining to think i was a hypo thanks again Heidi

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, thank you all for reading my post. My gut feeling has been telling me for months that this is my problem BUT when i get like this all sorts of things go threw my mind (an i feeling this way because i'm going off my head ) , i did go to my GP to talk to him about it and he told me to make sure that i eat every three hours (thats easier said then done when you feel so ill) and then he told me to keep a mars bar in my bag , so if i do feel ill i should eat it ?? .I feel better that i'm not alone with this i was begining to think i was a hypo thanks again Heidi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.