Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading that caltrate 600 helps make stools firm , I started this yesterday after reading about it on this forum , does anyone know how long it would take for this to kick in and how much I should take ? Ive also been taking metamusil and I was thinking maybe it would be best to stop taking this because it makes stools soft , wouldnt taking the two be defeating the purpose ? I also have acid reflux and I take zantac every day along with 2 vitamins every morning , does anyone know if these can also contribute to the softening of stool ? I was thinking of cutting back to one vitamin per day instead of 2.Thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hello John.. Linda recommends no other vitamins for now.. just the calcium.. She says to begin with half tabs for the first three days... three times a day with your meals.. Then progress to whole tabs after that, three times a day with your meals..I myself stopped with the half tabs as they are working well for me.. but each of us is different.. I would stop the metamucil until you see how the calcium is working.. If it makes you too constipated.. then possibly add it... but Linda can tell you better on that one.. When my stools got a little more pasty for my liking.. I just upped my water intake... and it was ok... I also eat a half cup of applesauce at night for extra measure..As to when it starts working.. I saw a difference after the first day... but some may need to go to the whole tabs before... Since we are all so different..She also states to expect a little indigestion and gas with them... I have a little gas but not enough to bother me...If you have any questions Linda will answer them.. I thank God for her post... It has helped me that much..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi John! I take two tablets a day. One in the morning after breakfast and one in the evening after dinner. It has really worked wonders for me. I've stopped taking two immodium pills every morning and I only take the calcium now. Everyone is different so, you may have to 'experiment' a bit. Good luck with it and let us know how you're doing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far so good with two pills the same as you , alot better formed stool , still a bit on the large side though and the color of the stool was very normal, anyone else here have large loose stools with ibs? Also How many here have acid reflux , seems like alot of ibser's have this also?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.