Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello there, I am a 20 year old who has suffered from bad stress/anxiety in recent times, and since having a panic attack I now constantly have upper abdominal discomfort mainly after eating, and soft stools that are flat or ribbon as i've seen them described on here...i have been to the doctor and my blood test/stool test was normal so it's been put down to IBS, i noticed i seem to be better when i'm sititng down and it feels worse when i'm standing, i'm in no pain just a kind of bloated/tight feeling in the rib cage area above the belly button...i also seem to be burping a lot more now also, and my stomach loves to rumble now also...i have been worrying myself sick by googling my symptoms and some scary things (lol) have come up which are apparently very very unlikely for someone my age, are my symptoms consistent with IBS? prior to my panic attack/stress my stools were normal and my stomach felt fine, so surely if it was something more serious it'd come on slower than this? is there anything i can do to treat my IBS? i haven't tried anything yet and would love to hear your experiences... thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well it may be worth getting the anxiety treated as part of this as anxiety and panic, including the look up symptoms to scare yourself can all trigger off IBS (even if they don't directly change you from non-IBS to IBS they do trigger symptoms).It may not be possible for IBS meds or treatments to work as well as they might if you have uncontrolled anxiety undoing any good they can do.Some anxiety treatments also treat IBS so you can get a two for one benefit.Since the symptoms sound on the mild end of thing you might play with how much fat and carbs you eat (try reducing those especially the processed starchy foods) and see if more or less fiber makes you feel better. A probiotic bacteria supplement may also be a good place to start.If you can't see a doctor for the anxiety for any reason try some stress reduction techniques there are lots of instructions for them on the web and lots of CD's and such with instructions you can listen to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.