Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello Starbaby,What you describe might well be a prolapse but, to be sure of what it is and whether it needs to be treated, you will have to go to the doctor and let them examine you. I know you're worried that having someone examine that part of you would make you have an accident on them but, although you would be very embarrassed if that happened, the doctor wouldn't be at all upset because he or she will definitely have experienced worse. The doctor will also be wearing gloves. If you are prone to diarrhoea, it might be worth taking preventative Imodium before an examination to lessen the chances of an accident but make sure you check with your doctor or pharmacist first it's alright for you to take Imodium if it's not something you've taken before.I have a rectal mucosal prolapse. I've had it fixed twice now. Once by rubber band ligation and, when it returned, with injections to fix the mucosal layer to the rectal wall. It came back again but, because I'm now pregnant, the consultant decided that there was no point fixing it again until after I've given birth because the strains of pregnancy and childbirth are likely to make the prolapse worse anyway.If what you're experiencing is an anal prolapse of some kind, it should not affect your ability to have a natural birth, although, as I say, pregnancy and childbirth might make it worse. However, you do really need to get checked out by a doctor.I know it's no consolation but, when you're pushing your baby out, neither your husband nor the nurses will be paying much attention to what's happening with your anus (except that I think the nurses might remove any stool you pass in the process) because they'll be much more interested in helping you bring your baby into the world.Good luck with your plans to have a baby. Perhaps you could look upon a visit to the doctor about your possible prolapse as good practice for the indignities of pregnancy and childbirth.Best wishes,Clare

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.