Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am 28 and for the past 1-2 years, more often in the past year, I have started having "bathroom" visits that total about 6 a day. Usually this happens very soon after I eat, sometimes no matter what it is. It is like I not only go one or two times but like 5 or six. Then, I feel hungry and my stomach grumbles or makes a rumbling sound. I have had 2 ulcers in the past,including endoscopies 2, that detected them. One in 1992 and one in 1997. I teach and that causes a lot of stress. I hear stress is a cause. What are some other causes? I am scared to go to the doctor, because I know they will want to do that colonoscopy thing. I know that probably cost a small fortune. I am tired of always going to the bathroom though. One strange thing is one day I will have a normal stool. The next I might go 6 times and it is like water. I know this may be way too much to read for some of you, but I guess if anyone understands, you guys do. Thanks for reading and I welcome your input.E

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
E, Are you afraid to go to the doctor because you have no insurance or because you are afraid your insurance won't cover the colonoscopy? Your symptoms do sound like IBS, but check through the criteria at the top of this page (click on Diagnostic Criteria) and then you should go to the doctor. If it is stress, he may prescribe an anti-anxiety drug. Mike's tapes are a drug-free approach that works for many (hypnotherapy). There are also a whole range of approaches people with IBS-D use to keep their IBS under control. See the Lifestyle section.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi E. I agree with Gail about going to the doctor. Your physician will be a major source of support in dealing with this problem. I know the prep for a colonoscopy is no fun, but the procedure itself can really be a help if done by an experienced practitioner. My doctor sort of uncoiled part of my colon during the procedure, and I was much better for about 6 months. Then, I've gone through another flare-up, but probably because I became lax with my eating (ate the trigger foods; didn't eat enough soluble fiber). Also, I've had the frequency of BMs problem too, and posted on this BB in the last few days. Do go to the doctor, and good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi E:Have you tried Citrucel? I know of two people who take it daily and has controlled their problem with diarrhea. One needs to drink plenty of water with it. I've had a colonoscopy and it wasn't bad. They put you to sleep. It's just the junk you have to drink before. Now there is something new that you only have to take some kind of tablets. Good Luck! I would say read about Citrucel and give it a try.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You mentioned that you have had ulcers in the past. Were you tested for H. Pylori, the bacteria that causes most ulcers? If not, I highly recommend you get the blood test for this bacteria. This could be your problem. Good luck.Stacey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.