Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, great forum I have a lot to read. Now where to start, My IBS which I think I have probably started back when I was around 20 years old, I use to get bad diarrhea after eating burgers, I would eat one then about 30 minutes later I would get stomach cramps very bad so bad I would curl up in a ball then be in the toilet. This went on for a while until I realized the connection and cut out the burgers, back then my diet I would say wasn't all that good then what it is today.Anyway that was that, I never really had any stomach pains or diarrhea since then, I guess it went away, now im aged 26 and I would say my diet is very good and exercise daily im 6ft and about 11 something stone, I am in shape and good weight for my height. the new symptoms I would say started around a year ago and have only just started trying to do something about it. One of the symptoms is a dull ache pain on my left lower side intestines, (left as in looking through my eyes), the pain comes and goes, it is a dull pain ache that gets worse if I lie on my side or sit with my legs crossed, I can feel it right now. Lying on my back stops it.I also have other symptoms, constipation sometimes and diarrhea type stools, also some days I have bad wind and a painful bloated stomach. The wind is id say once every 5 minutes and is very embarrasing, but I dont have it today only the dull ache.I have been to the doctors and she sent me to have a ultrasound and this came back clear, so im ready to go back and get some other checks done to rule out if this is IBS.I must say I now have a lot of stress in my life then what I was, maybe this is contributing to it also?.Any advice would be apreciated thankyou.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Hi Ellis - welcome.IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, in other words when all other things have been ruled out and you fit the general criteria of IBS then that will be your diagnosis.The symptoms you describe seem compatible with diverticulitis which is not IBS. Now, please don't get worried because this can be dealt with and it is only a suggestion but one of the main symptoms of diverticulitis is pain in the lower left quadrant plus other digestive issues. You are very young for diverticulitis so it may not be but you need to check this out which they will do either by a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. These procedures will also rule out other things.Have you lost weight?Stress can certainly exacerbate IBS and gut issues in general so you should look at ways in which to reduce it.Do any foods other than hamburgers cause your symptoms to get worse?Either way you would do well to increase your fibre (soluble fibre is best overall), you could try a couple of heaped desert spoons of flax seed or pysillium husks a day and make sure you drink 1.5 to 2 litres of water per day, this regime should help your constipation. This regime would be beneficial whether you have IBS or diverticulitis.Let us know how you get on.Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply idkwia, I cant say ive lost any weight or im actually aware of the foods that cause it this I will need to find out, I will try your fibre advice and let you know my doctors results.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For gas you may want to look at a couple of things.1. How much bacteria food do you eat. Starchy foods and foods with certain sugars like beans can really up the gas volume in everyone. Some people do well to limit how much they feed their bacteria.2. Probiotics. These bacteria stop digesting carbs early so don't break them all the way down to gases. By increasing the number of those bacteria in the gut (some people do yogurt or kefir but more take the bacteria in a pill or powder supplement) you can decrease the amount of gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.