Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had my second singing lesson. Tucked into a small room with my teacher, I was a tad concerned about my stomach. But at my last lesson I'd scouted out the nearest toilets, the quickest route and checked it out for just how noisey I could be in there. Meanwhile I had mentally compiled a list of what I thought were plausible excuses, if the worst were to occur.So on with my lesson, I was first being trained in how to breathe correctly, by breathing into my stomach. So I take my first breathe into my stomach and..."burble, burble, burble" My stomach gives its opinion on this. My new teacher is sitting 2 feet away watching my stomach to make sure I was breathing correctly. I was mortified with embarrassment, but there was nothing I could do. For the entire hour lesson every time I took a breath in, "burble, burble, burble". And soon it became so loud I could hear it over my singing AND the piano. I bet my teacher's going to be telling that tale for a few years to other students and friends. Although over the years I've developed the ability to block out the frequent embarassing incidences. Like walking past the guy I like and being unable to control a "loud and deadly" fart.(Why are they never "silent but deadly" when you need them to be?) And being unable to pin it on the guy walking behind me, by throwing a disgusted look over my shoulder at him, because the corridor is empty. Then trying to blame the noise on your new shoes.I've had so many embarassing incidences due to my IBS, that I've learnt to repress and lock them in the recesses my mind, waiting for some brave psychotherapist to unlock.After today's experience it would be nice to know that I'm not the only one with a stomach like a foghorn, which by the way, "burbles" off key. Or if anyone else wants to tell of a particularily embarassing incidence, that are part and parcel of IBS.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I worked as a medical assistant (nurse in a doctor's office). My stomach would always make loud noises whenever I would be up close to my patients holding their arm under mine to take their blood pressure. It didn't matter if I had just eaten or not. My stomach just had to get its two cents worth in. I just looked at my patients and said, "Don't worry I promise not to bite you." That usually broke the ice and we could just laugh about it.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I worked in a pizza place and whenever I was serving customers their dinner my belly would decide to kick in and have it's say about what they'd ordered! It didn't matter if I was full or hungry, it would always decide to talk right then! I used to be abslolutely mortified. Now days it just sounds off at the doctors where it's quiet or more often than not at parent teacher interviews where the only person to blame anything on is me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone,It means so much to me to finally, after 18 years, talk freely, have a laugh and get advice about my IBS. And mostly to know that I'm not alone in this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my stomach used to do it loooooooads when i was at university, i would be sitting in early morning lectures, and my stomach would cry out and i'd sit there all embarassed hoping it wouldnt happen again. it sucks!

G

·
Yes, its fun trying to represent a client who is about to lose their house, up against the crabbiest District Judge known to mankind when your stomach is gurgling away like an owld drain. I usually cough loudly over it and hope to god the shrivelled old walnut is deaf. Actually he's kinda sexy in a crinkly way. Oh dear, these school hols have deffo gone on tooooo long!!!! Started watching an owld epi of Miami Vice and even I couldn't fancy Don Johnson in that gawd-awful jacket and I normally go for anything male with a pulse!! (Just my little jest!! and me a happily married woman of 18 years).Sue

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dairy and fructose (especially high fructose corn syrup) can cause this. Check your diet and read labels! After antibiotics wiped out all the GOOD bacteria in my intestines, I had a terrible time with noises. Good probiotics with a wide range of strains have helped immensely but it has taken a while. I thought my stomach would never shut up! but it finally is.

G

·
Iowa - that's interesting. I tried acidophilus (a probiotic) for a while, and for a while it was amazingly effective but less so as time went on. To start with, my stomach was EVEN worse but things did settle down.Having alot of cramping and pain at the mo (which I suspect is largely due to the bloody builders moving in next door and starting hammering at 7.30am in the school hols), so might give them another bash (go).Sue

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had stool analysis at Great Smokies which showed I was deficient in Bifido. Probiotics with FOS are supposed to provide food for them to grow, but it did make me worse. I did VSL, Custom Probiotics, Culturelle, Jarrow, etc... Primal Defense is working well now. No FOS. Also taking smooth muscle relaxers (generic of bentyl and librax) helps slow down my hyperactive gut.Anybody see "bringing down the house" with Steve Martin. After he eats the food with the "minty flavor". That used to be me, I thought I would never get better!

G

·
God you Americans are SOOO much more efficient at testing etc. Perhaps I'm over-generalising but seems to be the case. Where do you get all this stuff - Health Food Store?ThanksSue

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great Smokies Diagnostic Lab, VSL, Custom Probiotics ordered my me on line. Culturelle at Walgreens. PCP for smooth muscle relax. Health food store for the rest. You have to be your own Dr., before you go to the Dr.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Iowagrad--You are so right. I just don't understand how some people completely hand over the reins to the doctor. I like to be the one in control who has the last word on my treatment.
I guess I just don't trust everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.