Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting myself in a state of nerves about the sigmoidoscopy I'm due to have next Thursday - but I'm also wondering WHY its not a Colonoscopy instead??The story is this:I've had ibs for decades - I had a colonoscopy nearly five years ago, following truly awful pains in my gut - the colonoscopy was all clear, eventually pains just stopped (my ibs symptoms are always changing!). Anyway, recently noticed intermittent (very little) blood in the mucus when I go - so doc (a different one from before) is sending me for a sigmoidoscopy. Why do a sigmoidoscopy when it can never tell nearly as much as a colonoscopy?? Just would welcome your thoughts/opinions on the usefulness of this?!
Many thanks,Ama

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally, it depends on your symptoms and risk.From what I understand both the sedation and the fact that you go in further up the risk of puncturing the colon during the proceedure.Usually there is some sort of a risk of the proceedure and likelyhood that test 1 vs test 2 would find anything different that goes into deciding what test to run.It may be worth asking the doctor the reasoning behind the decision.K.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Inflamatory Bowel Disease (IBD) typically starts in the rectum. If the sigmoidoscopy detects a problem there, your doctor might order a full on colonoscopy to see the extent of the disease. The sigmoidoscopy can be performed by most internists in their office as opposed to having a colonoscopy performed under sedation in a special endoscopy center or in the hospital. $$$$$$$$ could be an influence in your doctor's choice of procedures. I was always afraid of the sigmoidoscopy because I am a real baby when it comes to discomfort. To my surprise, the sigmoidoscopies I had weren't bad at all. There is momentary discomfort when air is "pumped into" your sigmoid colon in order to give the doctor a better view of the lining of that part of your colon. It really doesn't last very long.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
When my GI Doc told me he wanted to do a Sig. and lower GI I asked why not do the the whole thing and do a colonoscopy. He said that the Sig was safer and quicker. He also said that the Sig. would give him a good enough view to know if he needed to look any further.Besides the Sig being safer and faster it's also much less expensive.He did tell me that if I wanted he would do the full colon but didn't see the need at that time.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: He also said that the Sig. would give him a good enough view to know if he needed to look any further.
This makes no sense if the covered area is disease free and the rest is not.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Actually Flux I think it does make sense. One has to look at the symptoms as well. With the symptoms I was having he felt confident that with the combination of the Sig. and the lower GI that he could rule out what he needed to to make a diagnosis.Seems to make complete sense to me.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I had the same symptoms and my GI did the sigmoid just to see what was causing the blood. I had inflammation in my rectum. That was the cause of the blood so to find out if anything further up was inflammed-meaning ulcerative colitis, she did the colonoscopy. I have a feeling-either way-whether they find the source of the blood or not, you'll need a colonoscopy. push for it!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
HiI had bad symptoms of IBD (over 13 toilet trips a day sometimes only passing a lot of liquid blood & weight loss).A sig' was done first & many ulcers were found over the whole of the area viewed. I didn't get the colonoscopy until 4 months later. For some reason in the UK it seems to be sig' first & then colonoscopy. I dunno why. When they checked me with the longer scope there was nothing on the right side (thankfully).If they find nothing in the area viewed & your symptoms are still present then they'll do the colonoscopy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.