Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my, could I possibly have IBS? Ugh. Most of my life, having 2 or 3 bowel movements a week was normal. Really. (I'm 33 y.o.)About two years ago I started to eat healthier, cutting back on sugars and carbs, increased my protein and fiber. I lost 25 pounds and quit smoking. Woohoo! I also became a "regular pooper" and was proud that I'd have 5 to 7 BM's a week. Yay me!I have eaten oatmeal with a tablespoon of Flax Seed NEARLY EVERY MORNING for two years. Weird, huh? A tsp. of butter, a tsp. of brown sugar, and some nutmeg helps break up the monotony.I don't drink milk and only have 2 ounces a day, and that's in my decaf coffee.I don't drink soda or any carbonated drinks.I drink lots of tea (Earl Grey, Lady Grey).I eat LOTS of soy - tofu and Gardenburger products.However... I had a SUPER STRESSFUL holiday season Dec. 03. And since January 2nd of this year, I've been a mess. Here's what's been happening:First three weeks of January: every other day or so, severe abdominal cramping, sweats, goosebumps, diarrhea, and toilet prayer to help me survive the 5 minutes spent on the toilet. I'd eat, have a panicked feeling, sweat, cramps, run for the bathroom.End of January, first two weeks February: MAJOR gas, I mean major. EPA should be involved to protect the air that the innocent people in my life have to breath. Severe rumblings in my GI tract, gurgling, rumbling, sometimes diarrhea, sometimes just watery stool with some form, and occassionally a regular BM. The major abdominal pain has all but disappeared.Now, I still have gas sometimes, not as frequently or horrific as a few weeks ago. Also, the sweats, panic and goosebump situations are rare. However, now, whenever I go to the bathroom to pee, I always have watery stools, with mucus, and it stinks. Ugh. And my stomach usually has a chorus going on - whining noises.What's going on with me? I've been a hard-core vegetarian for about 8 months (no eggs, no meat, no fish, very, very little dairy). I just started to take Vitamin B supplements and that may have helped. I also tried some acidophilus supplements. But I'm still stuck with this: stinky gas and watery stools/diarrhea, every few hours.I went to my GP 3 weeks ago (ha ha, what a joke) and my CBC was OK but my hemoglobin and hematocrits were a little high, indicating dehydration (probably from the Diarrhea! Although I drink LOTS of water). The h. pylori test results were negative. The doc's office just called to tell me my lab results were fine but they never asked if my situation had improved. The doc did mention gastrocolic reflex when I was in for a physical but she didn't give me any other info or suggestions.I have major gas where one whiff could knock over a cow. Is it just me? And it lingers in the room. I'm sorry to be so gross here but I'm at my wits end.Why is this happening now? Ack.Any ideas/suggestions?Thanks,- Wendy

·
Registered
370 Posts
quote: Have you increased your fructose intake- like drinking a lot more pop or juice?.
Probably not--Wendy said she had made a special effort to cut back sugars, and doesn't drink soda.
quote:About two years ago I started to eat healthier, cutting back on sugars and carbs, increased my protein and fiber.I lost 25 pounds and quit smoking. Woohoo! I also became a "regular pooper" and was proud that I'd have 5 to 7 BM's a week <...> I've been a hard-core vegetarian for about 8 months (no eggs, no meat, no fish, very, very little dairy).
Wendy, your story definitely sounds like IBS, but I also get the impression you pushed your body farther than it wanted to go, dietwise. That's a lot of change in two years. Then, it seems, the '03 holiday stress as a final insult--or perhaps unaccustomed or spoiled foods you ate during festivities--sent you into IBS-D full throttle.
quote:The doc's office just called to tell me my lab results were fine but they never asked if my situation had improved.
I note you're from the U.S., so you are dealing with our "managed care" mess. Managed care often means follow-through is dependent on the patient. I think you have to get back to your doc and say, "you found nothing, that's good news, except... my food is still running out the other end whenever I go to the toilet, so what next?"Now, my question to others who know more about the infectious conditions that affect the bowel: Does Wendy's history (and complaint about odor) suggest that her (presumed) IBS has been complicated by infection of some kind? If so, what are all the tests that she should have? I could use some light shed on this issue myself...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.