Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have just been disgnosed with having Ibs -a and I need some help with a diet and maybe some herbal remedy ideas, If anyone had any ideas please post them for me to look at, all this is new to me so any information i will be grateful off.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
With IBS-A usually the trick is finding the right amount of fiber. A lot of IBSers do better with soluble fiber more than insoluble fiber (so wheat bran isn't a good thing but oat bran may be better) All food with fiber have a mix, but you can play with fiber levels to see if you can find the amount (either from foods or fiber supplements) that keeps the stool from becoming hard and dry and helps bulk up the looser stools.Often if you can prevent the constipation you can even things out as often the diarrhea is there to push the constipation out.Herbs you might look at slippery elm (bulk and general soothing) and things like peppermint for spasms and fennel for gassiness (teas or a lot of cultures chew a few fennel seeds after meals and most everyone does it as it is the custom). Ginger is good for nausea. Aloe can be OK but part of the latex is a stimulatory laxative so may depend on how much of that is in the preperation, and how much you are constipated.You might want to read through the "Stories" linked at the top of the page. Lots of information about what worked for people there. Also we have a diet section of the forum and most of the usual diets for IBS are there. Diet varies a lot because it really depends on how diet interacts with your IBS, if it does at all. Some people have to avoid gassier foods and other people tolerate those fine, etc. There is no one size fits all for diet and IBS. And some of the things on common "do not eat" lists are things that loosen up the stools and that can be either a good thing or a bad thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts