Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having IBS for 20 years & recently Acid Reflux(8 Months) This appears to be a bad combination.Its seems that all Acid Reflux Drugs,Pepcid, zantac, prilosec..make my IBS symtoms much much worse. Does anyone out their have this double trouble condition??and Has any natural remedy's worked?? Theonly thing thats helped me a little bit has been a product called dioxchlor..which has helped with both IBS & Acid Reflux symstoms.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I've got both, but haven't found the OTC heartburn things make the IBS worse. Changing my diet has helped a lot with the reflux. I'm avoiding wheat, fruit, salad, fruit, raw veggies, chocolate (well, I'm supposed to!!), fatty foods, and the onion family.susan

G

·
I too have both. I now find that eating small meals often, every 3 hours, helps keep both conditions in manageable proportions. I also do not overload on the carbohydrates which I have found particularly works well in controlling the reflux.I find Zantac a great helpGillian

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have both too.Atleast I think I have both. We're experimenting with the reflux as my GI thinks it could be esophagus spasms instead since it doesn't happen regularly enough for a ph probe test to see if it's truly acid/bile reflux. I have pain like a heart attack. Pepto Bismol helps alot and so does drinking water. Wearing loose clothing around the tummy area and avoiding garlics, onions, spicy foods and the like seem to make a difference. My GI recently has asked me to try Nitroglycerin when I have an attack as it's a muscle relaxer and it actully did take the pain away! None of the reflux meds such as Prilosec, Previcid, Aciphex, Zantac prescription, Nexium etc. helped me. It's an awful feeling isn't it? I am IBS-D so Pepto doesn't make my IBS worse.Good Luck to you in finding something that works for you!------------------How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have both! Zantac is the only thing that dosen't make my IBS worse. Stay away from caffiene, I've noticed that it has helped greatly for me. Also, don't eat late at night before bed. I was on Acifex, but it made my "D" worse. Try drinking some Sprite when you feel it coming on. I don't leave home without it. Drink only a clear pop , color pops are bad for your acid reflux. I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I suck on any hard mints that I can find from the health food store that are primarily made out of natural Peppermint, works for me although my reflux is a minor symptom I get from taking my antidepressant. I wonder if Peppermint tea would help? Not something I have tried, too afraid it would flare the IBS-D.Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I and my doctors thought I had acid reflux because I had burning pains in my stomach and chest as well as just below my stomach. Turned out most of the burning was from using calcium carbonate antacids too much for too long - it causes a rebound because the calcium requires more acid to digest it.Since I switched to Gaviscon and with what I learned from this board, I've realized that pain just below my stomach is from gas. I don't know why it causes a burning sensation, but simethicone (in Gas-X and Mintacin) helps most with it. I still had a little acid pain, but that's clearing up since I started taking probiotics. I'm almost positive I have fructose malabsorption.BTW, have you tried Gaviscon? It's OTC and it says "for acid reflux" on the bottle. It works great for me.Good luck

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Peppermint is an antispasmodic and can ease the symptoms of IBS. Particularly the spasming and for those that it works for it can be quite effective (since it is for spasms it could be used for either C or D as both have spasms)However, it may be a bad thing for people with reflux as it relaxes the sphincter at the top of the stomach as well and that can allow more acid to splach up from the stomach into the esophagus.Acid blockers may be better than antiacids for some people with IBS as antacids often contain magnesium or calcium and they can cause diarrhea (Mg) or constipation (Ca) and that may make some people's IBS worse. However, some people can use the side effects of compounds to good use and ease the symptoms of thier IBS when taking the appropriate ones.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 05-29-2001).]

G

·
Interesting thread.......I too suffer from acid reflux and oral thrush,does anyone know if theres a connection between the two???......I also found that cutting down on the carbs helpful with the reflux and oil of oregano helps with my thrush and drinking alot of water also.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have both but was just diagnosed, so I'm also working on finding the best relief for the symptoms.Right now I'm on a diet of ramen noodles, rice, mac and cheese, and water. A glass of milk seems to help with the heartburn. Once I get the acid reflux under control, I will start eating more foods to see what will be tolerable and what won't.Seems there are a lot of people with the IBS/acid reflux combination.

G

·
I have IBS C and reflux...not fun. Currently on Nuxiam for reflux and Levbid for IBS. The Nuxiam took about 2 weeks before it helped the pain in the center on my stomach which had become overwhelming, but I am not sure if it had made my IBS flare up or if it was the stress of all the test the DR was putting me through. After being on the combination drugs for one week (just started the Levbid)I do feel a 25% over all derease in pain/symtoms...but have terrible dry mouth. A cotton field in there!haaaaaLet us know what you find!Kristina

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have both, too. I take Protonix (Rx) twice a day, and it appears to have no effect whatsoever on my IBS. I also take an antacid called Gelusil (over-the-counter), which my doctor said usually doesn't cause D or make it worse. I have not noticed any negative effects with this product, either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
DEBBIE BENNING, please answer this for me.I have IBS w/ D & upper GI pain due to too much acid. I have been on Prevacid (Rx) for 2-3 years. At first it actually lessened my D!My G.I. said other patients have told him this. Today, I met with a new primary care MD (new insurance) and when I told him I had IBS w/ D & was on Prevacid he INSISTED the Prevacid was causing my D and INSISTED that I try both Aciphex (one member here already claimed it made their D worse!) and Protonix.I really distrust doctors and I'm wondering if he's strong arming me to take other drugs because his pharmaceutical reps are giving him a golf vacation, etc.? HAS ANYONE who has IBS w/ D taken Protonix and gotten WORSE D? This is the last thing I need. He also told me to take it w/o checking to see if it has lactose in it (I did & it doesn't) as he refuses to believe that a small amount of lactose will cause me D (I'm very lactose intolerant). HAS ANYONE ELSE gotten worse D from taking Aciphex? This man refuses to accept the notion that taking something that increase my D can set me into spasms for weeks! HELP, HELP, HELP! FEEDBACK PLEASE!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yup, reflux and IBS here, too. Protonix didn't give me D (although I am C/D) and OTC heartburn meds usually make me constipated (I think it's the calcium). I have also tried Gaviscon and it works the best, but I can't get it down because it tastes so awful! Is the liquid as bad as the tablets? I tried the tablets and just about gagged. Right now I'm on Nexium (still get some heartburn and reflux, though) and it doesn't seem to affect the IBS in me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everybody for the Feedback--I read a few posts on a drug called Nexiumfor Acid Reflux..Does anyone know how effective it is?? side-effects?? )OTC??Thanks!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Oksana, you're new doctor is incompetent and probably thoughtless. Do whatever it takes to stay with your previous or find a better one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts