Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody's IBS start after a bout with Mono or some other severe illness? Diarrhea isn't typically a symptom of mono but I seemed to develop IBS either because of mono or the antibiotics (Zithromax) that my doctor prescribed during that time. Of course I was also going through extreme stress at the time so I guess had the magic brew of illness, antibiotics and stress to push me into a state of IBS. I had no bowel problems whatsoever before all this started.Joe[This message has been edited by gijoejoe (edited 03-07-2000).]

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi GIJoeJoe & Everyone
This sure hits my gut(home). Although I will *never* truly know the causation of *my* ibs, one thing's for certain, after a serious bout of "gastroenteritis" in my jr or sr year in college, my bowels/GI tract has never been the same. A short while after this acute episode, I developed dyspepsia in the upper GI tract followed by an irritable bowel a few years later. Prior to this gastroenteritis attack I would only have tummy aches infrequently (as in once/twice a year, similar to catching a cold). Its been over 10 yrs since this acute time, & close to 9 yrs of suffering post-college. Who knows if *this* was the trigger or cause or the flipper of a bad ibs switch. *sigh*...all I can derive from this is consistent mysterious ibs agony
The intermittent relief I am teased with is a blast from the past ol' glory days
. I sure hope lotronex & whatever else helps us. I have been blanded to death by my diet & disbanded from the hot chilly dog stands. (hmm, maybe Ive been "saved"
??? only ironclad stomachs in "normal" people can withstand hot/spicy foods daily)Good Luck to us all

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced my IBS developed after a particularly horrible bout of mono. It was a gradual progression from absolutely no problems to IBS.Ty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ty,How long did your mono symptoms last? Along with IBS, I still deal with aching glands and muscle aches at times and its been almost 1.5 years now.Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts