Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
33,934 Posts
It can start fairly suddenly IF you had a GI infection.Whether your doctor has read the studies on post-infectious IBS I do not know.Typically people do notice that they had food poisoning or the stomach flu and that the symptoms just never went away. I do not know if you can have a GI infection that is mild enough that you don't realize you have one and get IBS from that.The hormonal shifts from pregnancy tend to be a bit disruptive and in some cases IBS will disappear during pregnancy only to reappear later so I don't discount that pregnancy could muck up the nerves in the gut in a way that afterward things are different.K.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
It can start fairly suddenly IF you had a GI infection.Whether your doctor has read the studies on post-infectious IBS I do not know.Typically people do notice that they had food poisoning or the stomach flu and that the symptoms just never went away. I do not know if you can have a GI infection that is mild enough that you don't realize you have one and get IBS from that.The hormonal shifts from pregnancy tend to be a bit disruptive and in some cases IBS will disappear during pregnancy only to reappear later so I don't discount that pregnancy could muck up the nerves in the gut in a way that afterward things are different.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.