Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Functional gastrointestinal symptoms often bear a striking symbolic relationship to the emotional disturbance. Explosive diartrhea and fecal incontinence aee often found in patients struggling to control their bouts of uncontrollable anger; severe constipation is often associated with severe emotional withdrawal and reistance; vomiting is associated with an attitude of rejectionof care;chest pains with unbearable sorrow(heartbreak); swallowing difficulties with problems in coming to terms with conflict in life situations. These associations might seem fanciful, but given sufficient time tolisten to patients accounts they occr with a regularity that is truly amazin. Thus functional gastrointestinal symptoms are a form of non-verbal or preverbal communication, the sort of communication we might expect in infants without even thinking of medical illness- the metaphorical gastrointestinal expression of intolerable psychic conflict.Attempts to categorize functional disorders into discrete diagnoses such as IBS is like trying to box a moonbeam or catch a feeling"THis was written in 1997 in a book called Functional Dyspepsia and Irritable Bowel Syndrome:Concepts and ControversiesWhat do you all THink? Have we come far from 1997 when IBS was thought to be psycho-somatic and the Rome Diagnostic criteria was coming into place which identified physical features to diagnose IBS. Do you think that IBS is an emotional disturbance that is represented in the body? Any comments?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This topic actually makes me think deeply. I am a very laid back, quiet person. I have a boss and co-workers who constantly bother me at my home on my offtime, take off work and expect me to cover, etc. I am pretty much used by my boss so he can leave work and do things with his family while I stay and watch the fort. I also just got out of a relationship in which my partner was very vocal and could be quite rude, but I would always hold in my anger. Maybe my condition has been formed from me constantly biting my tongue and not standing up for myself. May be far-fetched, but you never know. We all know when you get angry about something and know you should stand up for yourself and just stay quiet swallow the anger, it can make for a very unhappy person.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too was in a relationship where I was being used sexually when my IBS started. But I alsso started consuming a lot of fructose at the same time in the form of pop and I later tested positive for FI. Sio I don't know what to conclude.They say that there are some common themes in IBS-bowel performance anxiety, control, perfectionism, anger/frustration, pain , self-efficacy generally related to their IBS. I prefer that these emotions like anger are connected to IBS related issues rather than saying people have an anger problem in general.

·
Registered
244 Posts
wish i may wish i might... have had a bad experience with bf who doesn't understand... i'm drunk and he is making things tooo hard f0r ssiister.;.. talked to her tonihgh, things seemd fine.. wish to talk more as i have so manh suspicions!!!!!! please pray for ramiy asap pllease Lord!!~!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I always hold in my anger as well. Find it really hard to express my anger. I let people walk over me. Trying to change that but usually the work itself takes less energy then saying something about it all the time.

·
Registered
897 Posts
When I went to see a psychiatrist about treatment for my chronic D (which had stopped when I started taking Xanax) he said I was one of his calmest patients. Rather than show my fear and anxiety about my sick parents and the responsiblity of looking out for them I held it all in. So my brain found a way to let it out--anxiety induced D. Now under control and begining to reduce medication. Will see how it goes. Take care.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my MMPI in 1988 it showed that I had no anxiety at all But they thought I wasn't answering truthfully. I think now that because I was having D at the point, physical symptoms for which they couldn't find reasons, they concluded that.I wonder if Rome III will incorporate psychological factors into their diiagnostic criteria.It should be interesting to see how the factor in the mind- body connection.

·
Registered
218 Posts
bonniei - this is not really a simple either/or question. the part you quoted seems pretty psyoanalytic and most psychologists don't think a whole lot of analysis. Most cases of IBS include physical and psychological components.tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi I agree that IBS-C at least mine,is anxiety induced.have been under a great deal of stress the past two years. Lost my job of 22 year and had to look for work at age 57. What a bummer!!!I did find another job but with a cut in pay. At the same time I was taking care of my elderly sister-in-law who passed away. My husband is also sick and is in kidney failure and will be on dialysis in about six monnths. He has a lot of other problems also and is not a candidate for transplant. life just sucks sometime and now this IBS #### with no cure. I have only had this since about the 20 of Feb this year. Real sorry for all of you who have had this for many years.Tasia

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tom I am wondering if the diagnostic criteria in Rome III will involve the mind gut connection. Since we now have a biopsychosocial model for IBS, perhaps the diagnostic criteria should include those factors in some wayBTW, everyone, the discussio on this topic is also this thread in the Meeting Place http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=3;t=027638

·
Registered
218 Posts
The biosocialpsychological model is a theory Drossman believes in. The BSP model of medical problems goes back 50 years or so to Engel BTW. In any case Drossman is one of the people working on the Rome Criteria so I'm sure his vote will be taken into account.tom

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I feel part of the problem is the way docs deal with the problem. I had one doc imply that stress is the cause of it and listened very patronizingly to my problems. My current doc steers clear from the mind connection and believes there is something wrong with the intestines. I must have done a dozen tests with this doc. THey don't realize that this dualistic thinking( separation of mind and body) will get them nowhere with IBS. Atleast if you look at the way eric reports studies. His studies are based on the biopsychosocial model which is holistic rather than dualistic.The other thing I would like to add is the reason people resist the mind connection- Either they think they are weak because the mind is connected or they think it delegitimizes their real problems like pain which they feel in an excruciating way, after all the "all in the head" connection conjures up images of something being maginary- and thirdly they feel they will be referred to a psychiatrist as a mental case.They truly need to get the docs up on the brain-gut connection so that they can inform their patients correctly.I feel this might be achieved if the Rome III diagnostic criteria incorporates the biopsychosocial factors.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The ideas of holistic approaches, mind-body or body-mind, etc. are psychological and go back to at least the late 1880. William James and Carl Jung set great store in Eastern approaches to the philosophy of mind. The biosocialpsych model is maybe 30 years old and its founder, Engels, I think was actually a sociologist.tom

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks tom. I didn't realize it went as far back as that. In the 19ith century probably mind-body was mainstream. Until Pasteur discovered microbes and Koch came up with germ theory. I think mainstream became dualistic after that and the work was left to psychologists. It is only in the 1980's and 1990's that it has gone back to mind-body.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
everyone is different. it could be any of the following:1. mainly emotional2. mainly physical3. emotional which then brings on physical problems (such as dysbiosis)4. -- or, physical which then results in the emotionals.there was a time when ulcers were blamed on stress and emotions. h. pylori turned out to be the main culprit.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kel how can emotional problems bring about dysbiosis? You have lost me on that one.. AlsoI don't know if I am misunderstanding you but I also think there is no such thing as strictly physical in IBS. Because physical problems of IBS are bound to bring out emotions such as worry and anxieety and feelings of lack of control and anger at the situation one is in when it is not curable.Also it can't be strictly emotional because then they wouldn't have physical symptoms to call it IBS.I agree with 3) and 4) except the dysbiosis part.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think both need to be addressed. Oh if Kel was talking about the solution then I agree with all 4 of your statements except for the dysbiosis part. When I tested positive for fructose and after I stopped fructose the D just went away and I didn't have to deal with the worry or anxiety of D anymore. They too just disappeared.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
----"kel how can emotional problems bring about sysbiosis"any number of ways. maybe some people turn to alcohol to deal with emotional problems. alcohol has been implicated in possible dysbiosis. heck, emotional issues can lead to all kinds of physical problems due to lowered immune functioning.---"I also think there is no such thing as strictly physical in IBS"sure there could be. a person who only recently acquired IBS may not yet be dealing with the emotional part of it.maybe one day in the future the researchers might pin IBS down to one of dozens of organisms that need to be eradicated depending on the patient's susceptibility. if this is the case then you can say that their IBS was physical (organic cause). http://www.medscape.com/viewprogram/1893_pnt Nicholas J. Talley, MD, PhD The field of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) appears to be entering a new and exciting phase; evidence that at least some aspects of this disorder represent an organic or neurologic bowel disease has firmed.(sounds like 'physical' to me)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.