Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from from IBS D without medication and I'm able to drink Alcohol regularly,if I choose.I usually have a couple of beers each weekend,2 to 3 pints in total on average.Every now and again I might have a few Jack Daniels and coke too which can make me a little bit merry but I'm usually at home so no big worries.The thing I want to raise is that Alcohol seems to make my bowels slower and more sluggish but I've always thought the opposite is supposed to be the case.Is it the dehydrating effect of the Alcohol that may be 'drying' up the colon a little and slowing the gut down? Or is it a different effect altogether?Or is Alcohol having a bit of a sedative effect on the gut?By the way I'm not a large drinker and there are lots of times when Alcohol gives me stomach cramps and severe bloating but not Diarrhoea.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Even when there is a common reaction (too much alcohol can give anyone diarrhea) where the line is (how much it takes) varies a lot, and some people will have the opposite reaction.Sometimes the relaxation and the calming effect with a drink or two will slow the diarrhea down even if three or more would set off the diarrhea. Some people are more sensitive with IBS-D and can't tolerate even a few sips.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find that I can drink alcohol much better on an empty stomach or after a very light meal or snack but suffer when I've had a big meal and drink alcohol,so again food is the key.Tana,I do enjoy a drink or two but the gas,gurgling and cramps are never far away!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.