Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,822 Posts
Yep, I do. Half a drink and the grinding burning pains start, if I keep going I have to head to the loo within 1/2 an hour. It's terrible. So I just aviod alcohol. Not worth the days of pain and suffering to me but very frustrating when you'd like to have a social glass of wine over dinner

· Registered
7 Posts
Alcohol doesn't agree with me. Plus, I'm on meds that prohibit alcohol. I don't drink it. I really don't miss it cause I honestly have hardly drank in my life. If I'm around people drinking I get a virgin strawberry daquiri! YUUUUUUUUUUUM!

· Registered
226 Posts
I drink wine every night, I use to be able to drink cadilac margaritas and then they started bothering me and sometimes I try wine coolers but don't do well with them either, so sometimes I drink rolling rock beer a very light beer and mostly wine,I seems to be the only way I can calm down at night even with my meds, I just have to watch and not drink too much or else it will make me sick. Most of the time i figure even without the alcohol I feel sick and nausaus and have diarrea so what the heck why not relax with a glass of wine since I already feel like #### anyway, most of the time it relaxes me enough so I can forget for awhile that I have ibs or stress. I love to take a glass and a good book into my jaquzzi bathtub and just unwind. Laurie

· Registered
90 Posts
I'm with Bigmama. I spent a while forgoing alcohol, but then realized that my guts were still a mess every day. So now i have a couple of drinks each night. In fact, that applies to all kinds of foods that i initially cut out of my diet, thinking that they were the cause of my problems. I spent a year without eating dairy, onions, tomatoes, etc. Then one day i noticed that i still had all the IBS symptoms. So now i eat all that stuff and my symptoms are exactly what they were when i didn't. I still, however, can't drink coffee, and i have to have a very small lunch when i'm at work.

· Registered
226 Posts
wornout:; I still drink a little coffee not as much as I use to and I do notice differnt brands cause more problems and I heard decaf was the worst. My husband blames the wine I drink on alot of my problems but he does'nt relize I drink to get rid of the stress of him. I had a bad day yesturday and don't know why and what set it off. but doing ok today and just trying to get my mind off of things I have'nt even eaten anything today and it is 1:00 pm and not even hungry and nothing sounds good so maybe later something will. abd you are right why fight something and not eat it when if you don't you still feel sick somethings I don't touch because they hit me too hard right away but most of the time I already feel like #### so why not????????? Laurie

· Registered
11 Posts
Alcohol affects everything in my body.
My bowels are OK at the time that I am drinking alcohol but I normally get a rash within minutes and nausea and tachycardia about 3-5 hours after I start drinking which can be quite concerning.
It is the day after that my bowels suffer expecially if I get drunk and decide on a takeaway pizza. I get Diarrhea, gas etc and can pretty much write off any activity for the next day.I rarely drink now and if I do I can only drink Vodka and Lemonade as anything else would have me running to the toilet within hours.

· Registered
659 Posts
I'm with Bigmama and wornout. I cut out certain foods and drink, but found it didn't affect my IBS-D in the least. I have no problems at all with alcohol as long as I drink in moderation. In fact, it seems to help in social situation where I used to get the Big D when I got nervous.

· Registered
48 Posts
Moderation is better. My once favorite margaritas are out. Beer is fine with me. Found it helps sooth my belly and helps be belch relieving pressure!
Health store recommended ANISE liquor each evening, good for digestion.
Not a full bottle. 2 glasses wine are fine for me.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
"Other examples of food substances causing diarrhea would be high consumers of caffeine or alcohol which can stimulate intestinal secretion or with the latter, pull water into the bowel (osmotic diarrhea). The same would be true for overdoing certain poorly absorbed sugars that can cause an osmotic type of diarrhea Sorbitol, found in sugarless gum and sugar substituted foods can also produce such an osmotic diarrhea. Even more naturally, people who consume a large amount of fruits, juices or other processed foods enriched with fructose, can get diarrhea because it is not as easily absorbed by the bowel and goes to the colon where it pulls in water. So if you have IBS, all of these food items would make it worse. "http://www.ibshealth.com/ibs_foods_2.htm

· Registered
547 Posts
quote:Originally posted by NellyWaltz:expecially if I get drunk and decide on a takeaway pizza.
This is what I was getting at. Alcohol can inhibit our reasoning and make us eat/drink things that could be the REAL cause of the D.I know it's different with everyone, but I used to think booze was a no no until I found out my triggers, and that beer was not one of them (wine however, is).Eating pizza (lots of sugars from the tomatoes, possibly lactose) could be a big trigger for some. Those that drink "berry" drinks could be suffering from the fruit sugars, not the alcohol.That's what I was getting and when I asked what people drank/ate when they had "problems" with alcohol.Beer is my friend.

· Banned
410 Posts
I can't drink alcohol at all. I used to be a Jack D lady, but now i suffer really bad spasms from it. I was drinking Bud as i was told it was not made from wheat but as soon as i start my stomach feels loose and if i have one bottle i get a bad headach, 2 bootles and the headach goes away but the tummy starts acting up. I just leave alcohol alone now. Don't miss it really as i'd prefer to be with my car incase a quick gettaway is needed!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.