Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Yes, well... possibly many think best left to other types of help groups! BUT, my queries are purely related to those of us without drink problems and just need to know what drinks are good and bad for us. I am mainly D. Have I missed a previous discussion or diet aid which will answer my questions?Having spent most of today discussing this topic with other members on chat lines, the theme always lead to 'Well how much do you drink!'I hope that any replies to this post can be free from this, as my main aim is to establish what the best drinks are for us when I we do fancy a tipple.From my discussions so far, I have established the following from other members:1. Red wine can be OK for you, but white white is not so heavy.2. Lager may be OK, but the Fiz may cause problems.3. Bitter and Cider can have a laxative effect.4. Guinness, yes lots of iron, but from experience can cause D sometimes to excess.5. Spirits can be hard on the digestive system, but 'clearer' spirits such as vodka may not be so bad.I know that for any IBS sufferer, alcohol (and yeast?) should really be avoided but hey, sometimes we all like to live a little! Occasionally.Genuine replies without the "How Much" or "How Often" if possible, would be appreciated.Best wishes to you all.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dave,Anything used in excess can be a problem for IBS sufferers. Beer can be very gassey so I try to keep the beer at a minimum. I enjoy wine myself, and am partial to white over red, but drink both. These are things I have not given up including caffeine, but I have reduced the intake. I have given up alot of foods over this malady, (I am 'D'), but if you tolerate alcohol, then the usage is up to you.......
Hope this has helped a little.Donna

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dave,Anything used in excess can be a problem for IBS sufferers. Beer can be very gassey so I try to keep the beer at a minimum. I enjoy wine myself, and am partial to white over red, but drink both. These are things I have not given up including caffeine, but I have reduced the intake. I have given up alot of foods over this malady, (I am 'D'), but if you tolerate alcohol, then the usage is up to you.......
Hope this has helped a little.Donna

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally avoiding carbonation is probably a good idea. (so the fizzies may be problematic).Fruit juice mixers may be problematic if fruit juice alone bothers you.Alcohol can cause diarrhea and some people with IBS will not tolerate ANY amount of alcohol in any form. For some the inconvienience is worth the effects.Also the higher the dose the bigger the problem...so best to keep the amount low until you know how you react.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally avoiding carbonation is probably a good idea. (so the fizzies may be problematic).Fruit juice mixers may be problematic if fruit juice alone bothers you.Alcohol can cause diarrhea and some people with IBS will not tolerate ANY amount of alcohol in any form. For some the inconvienience is worth the effects.Also the higher the dose the bigger the problem...so best to keep the amount low until you know how you react.K.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
hi dave!i have found for myself, that a little wine really helps settle my stomach down. i usually have it after i have a D episode, and all it takes to make a difference is just half a glass. i find it so fascinating how different ibs is in different people. but, for me, a little wine can really do the trick! interesting post, thanks for sharing your findings!!
~mrs. mason

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
hi dave!i have found for myself, that a little wine really helps settle my stomach down. i usually have it after i have a D episode, and all it takes to make a difference is just half a glass. i find it so fascinating how different ibs is in different people. but, for me, a little wine can really do the trick! interesting post, thanks for sharing your findings!!
~mrs. mason

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again all,Expected more replies on this one! Have I touched on a Taboo subject, or is it too early over there for most people?I must hit the sack soon, it's nearly midnight in the UK. Thanks for those that have replied so far, very interesting...My thoughts with you all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again all,Expected more replies on this one! Have I touched on a Taboo subject, or is it too early over there for most people?I must hit the sack soon, it's nearly midnight in the UK. Thanks for those that have replied so far, very interesting...My thoughts with you all.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
generally, alcohol isn't a trigger for me. Even on those occasions when I drink enough to get pretty tipsy. I think more likely the combination of drinking, staying up late and the #### that I eat when drinking is more the problem. I drank quite a bit on new years eve and was fine the next day. I wondered if it was because it was good vodka? It was mixed with lime juice for the most part so the fruit juice didn't bother me either (although it rarely does luckily).I believe in some cases when people say "well how much do you drink" its not a question of you having a drinking problem but more that many of us can tolerate trigger foods in small doses but when consuming larger doses, problems occur.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
generally, alcohol isn't a trigger for me. Even on those occasions when I drink enough to get pretty tipsy. I think more likely the combination of drinking, staying up late and the #### that I eat when drinking is more the problem. I drank quite a bit on new years eve and was fine the next day. I wondered if it was because it was good vodka? It was mixed with lime juice for the most part so the fruit juice didn't bother me either (although it rarely does luckily).I believe in some cases when people say "well how much do you drink" its not a question of you having a drinking problem but more that many of us can tolerate trigger foods in small doses but when consuming larger doses, problems occur.nancy

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dave-G:It is getting close to dinner time where I am. I will probably have a drink before I go to bed tonight but I don't indulge every night.I stopped drinking alcohol on the recommendation of a doctor when I was diagnosed with IBS. When many months of abstention made no difference I re-introduced my favourate alcoholic beaverages, red wine with dinner, beer with my buddies and now the occasional rye and ginger. When my condition took a turn for the worse last year I once again stopped drinking for a few months to see what would happpen. Just as I expected nothing. Therefore I am still drinking. I find it helps me unwind.Tonight I will probably have a rye.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dave-G:It is getting close to dinner time where I am. I will probably have a drink before I go to bed tonight but I don't indulge every night.I stopped drinking alcohol on the recommendation of a doctor when I was diagnosed with IBS. When many months of abstention made no difference I re-introduced my favourate alcoholic beaverages, red wine with dinner, beer with my buddies and now the occasional rye and ginger. When my condition took a turn for the worse last year I once again stopped drinking for a few months to see what would happpen. Just as I expected nothing. Therefore I am still drinking. I find it helps me unwind.Tonight I will probably have a rye.

·
Registered
8 Posts
for me hard alchohol is usually fine - i like vodka and 7up, but beer wreaks havoc on my poor tummy, i get very bloated and uncomfortable. wine it depends, i can only have a little, and champagne is bad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.