Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a recent reply to someones post i got into a bit of trouble with the moderator who thought my comments about anti depressants and IBS were wrong. my views were at the time that people shouldnt advocate anti depressants witout also advising a lot f thought and research intot he matter- this is what i got into trouble about as i came accross as being anti- anti depressants and came accross as i was looking dwn in anyone that has t take them. as for that i wuld lie to correct that- i do not look down on anyone that has to take it- so throw that out of the window right now- but its an area of controversy is anti deressants. but the moderator was correct in the fact that i didnt know enugh about anti depressants in connection with ibs to be able to claim hvaing an informed opinion- and in that respect i was in the wrong. my views come after seeing peoples lives being ruined by doctors handing out addictive medecines and not giving the right iformation to people, i also know people who take anti deressants and who ae on low doses but still find themselves unable to stop thus landng themselves with an addiction- a low level one but still one.i hate ignorance so ive gone away and looked nto the matter a bit more and have found some more info. this is part of what ive found, i know most of you wil know all this, but some wont and its also another way of saying that ive gone away and looked into it more and i am always, always happy to correct myself, this is what ive discovered,"There is no question that stress makes it worse, which in turn is caused by the IBS itself and so a vicious cycle develops. Antidepressants are a well-recognised treatment in severe IBS, with a common one used being called Motival, although there are a number of possible choices here. They act not only by helping you to relax in general, but also possibly by working on the excess smooth muscle contractions of the bowel that trigger the symptoms of IBS. By breaking the vicious circle that many IBS sufferers are in, they can often be stopped after a short time and should have no side effects to bother you as suchThat is, that anti-depressants are valuable treatments for IBS. The problem arises when doctors and patients think that prescribing and taking anti-depressants seems to suggest that the condition "is all in the mind". It is not. Dr Anton Emmanuel: I could not agree more. Anti-depressants are the mainstay of treatment for severe IBS. The drug works at the level of the gut and has no negative psychiatric connotations. The benefit of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) in the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) has not been clear. In the latest randomized trial published this month in the Journal, paroxetine was superior to placebo in terms of improving well-being, but not abdominal pain or bloating. Based on the results of the most recent studies, both tricyclic antidepressants and SSRIs may improve patient satisfaction or quality-of-life without relieving most of the primary gastrointestinal symptoms. This suggests that antidepressant therapy represents at best only a "band-aid" approach to management. Optimizing the use of antidepressants in IBS is a challenge,the last comment represents my fears and ones which i was trying to voice in my clumsy way, its has nothing to do with looking down or crticising anyone who takes anti depressants but more to do with how effective are they in treating the person as a whole, does it get to root causes. i tend t sway more on the holistic side of things where you look at root causes and prevent depression if you can, look into why its there and what things you can do in your life to help ease it.this is where i got confused in my post as this lady was saying how down and low she was feeling and people were advoacting the use of antidepressants and i thought this was to treat her low feelings- in my ignorance i didnt realise that it actualy physically helped the ibs and was a recognised treatment in releiving symptoms in which case- anti depressants in this case would be looking into the root cause and not just masking deeper issues. thats where i was in the wrong.however, i still think there is a lot to think about here and one should thik carefuly about this issue and not dive in. doctors dont have the time in this day and age f their tme pressures to tell patients every bit f information about the drug they are prescribing to people- so i think its a good idea for people to research in thoroughly on the net and to get a balanced view. the last doctors view also voice my suspicions in the fact that they have limited effect and are not the answer, i supose its a case if finding out peoples own experiences and going ffrm them- finding out peoples personal exerience. it would however be really wrong of me to stop someone from taking something that helps them, i know how much ou can suffer from ibs and f it would help my son, if he was older- i would have no hesitation in putting him on it or suporting him in his decision t take it. i doubt if he ever would though and i personally feel its shakey ground, its been my personal experience that western medecine always has a pay back- it gives smething but not without taking something- so i remain suspicious, vigilant like i said im not anti- anti depressants and have never made out to be- but its a big issue i think.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts