Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS on the loose side which can be managed with loperamide,although the dose is on the high side.But I've been on an Antibiotic for a urine infection and it's actually helped slow my bowel down,even a touch of constipation at times and only 1 or 2 BMs a day allowing less doses of loperamide.I still have bloating and cramps etc so it's not a cure or anything but why does this sort of thing happen?And what is it in the Antibiotics that slows the bowel down?Could it not be used in IBS medicines?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have IBS on the loose side which can be managed with loperamide,although the dose is on the high side.But I've been on an Antibiotic for a urine infection and it's actually helped slow my bowel down,even a touch of constipation at times and only 1 or 2 BMs a day allowing less doses of loperamide.I still have bloating and cramps etc so it's not a cure or anything but why does this sort of thing happen?And what is it in the Antibiotics that slows the bowel down?Could it not be used in IBS medicines?
I've had the same effects from taking Metronidazol and Ciproflaxacin at the same time. It slowed my bowel movements down when i was having a sever flare of D, it didn't cure me but it is the only thing i have ever taken that showed any immediate improvement. Subsequent doses haven't helped though. My GI said it could have any number of effects as to why it might help. He originally thought that it was killing off the bad bacteria (SIBO) but that proved to be wrong so he doesn't know and im sure most GI's couldn't tell you either.Im not sure if you read my post of Xifaxin, but i was taking that (for the second time) recently just to test the SIBO theory again and it actually made my D worse. So who knows?

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are some studies suggesting SIBO and IBS are connected. Breath testing can be done, but it can be inconclusive and it also might be affected by the fact that you've already been on antibiotics. However, it's definitely something to bring up with your GI doc.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pardon my ignorance but SIBO?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I agree about getting tested for SIBO... and I believe D is a more common symptom with SIBO. Rifaximin worked great for me, and completely eliminated the SIBO (and D). There are also certain antiobiotics that have an effect on gut motility (erythromycin in one, and has actually been used for the purpose of accelerating motility), so it's possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts