Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anybody tell me if IBS can trigger asthma? I started to have asthma some 4 years back which is almost the same time when I started to get regular problems with my stomach. I SOMETIMES develop rashes (red dots, minor itch) when I consume VENTOLIN (pills for my ASTHMA). Doctor claimed that its allergy but I am not convinced because sometimes it didn't happen. I mean how can I be allergic to VENTOLIN a few days ago and a few days later when I took the pills again, nothing happen??? It's kinda weird. I gather it has got something to do with my stomach, some reactions...*not sure*There were times when after meals, I felt so bloated that I cannot breathe properly, i felt gagged and kept coughing until it became asthma and I had to see doctor. Wonder how many people out there have asthma and IBS....and how to control these asthma attacks.Thanks

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I don't have asthma, but I recently read a news article via Yahoo which indicated that IBS may be related to respiratory problems and they did specifically mention asthma.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My wife has Asthma but not IBS. I have IBS but no Asthma, Knock on wood. As far as I know nobody knows what causes either condition. It's as though the body is over stimulated in both cases though. I will bring up a strange Asthma story, my wife whos from Mexico has a relative who had chronic Asthma all her life. Was treated with the conventional drugs but of course never cured. She started a herb called Cat's Claw and now claims shes completly cured. All I can think is she had parasites all her life and the herb killed them causing her asthma to go away? This all happened in Mexico so its kind of hard to really figure out whats going on. By the way down there you can buy presciption drugs without a presciption. [This message has been edited by Blair (edited 02-15-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had ibs for about 25 years, but last summer I had the worst case of bowel spasms ever, and it started affecting my breathing too. I was in such agony I went to the emerg . Even though it felt like I could not breathe, they tested my oxygen level and it was 98%. Now, when I get D or spasms, it sometimes feels like my lungs are being stretched down to my ankles. When I am calm (so I don't think it is anxiety induced), I can feel a connection between the ibs, then back muscles tensing, throat constricting and now also sinuses reacting. It seems to go in that order. I am getting to the point where I can feel uncomfortable, but can coach myself and say it just "feels" like I can't breathe, but I really can. This helps me reduce the fear and anxiety, and realize that it is true, I can breathe while I am feeling these symptoms. I am going to see a naturopath to see if there is anything I can do to help this - e.g. back exercises. But when those back muscles are reacting to the spasms, it seems as if stretching or exercise does not help. So I am still mystified, but at least not as frightened by it. If the naturopath can shed any light on this, I will post the info.------------------DebbyV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have asthma, and have had it for most of my life. It comes and goes, mostly goes. It doesn't seem to be related to my ibs. When I used to cough alot as a child, my back used to get so tense, my mom would rub it gently, and the spasms would lessen, my throat would relax, etc.As an adult, I bought a peak flow meter. It shows how much air the lungs are moving, and gives me a good idea if I am really in trouble, or just feeling like it. many times, I am feeling very short of breath, but I still move the same amt of air. I try to avoid meds, my preference. I think the vent irritates my lungs after awhile. Tea helps me. I do have allergies:milk gives me asthma, also choclate, cats,etc.Maybe you have a contact allergy to your fabric softener. For me, I seem to have a balance in side. If I have very little on the balance, like good health, weather, low exposure to environmental allergens, I can get away with eating some ice cream. But if I am catching a cold, I do not dare. Alot of allergies seem to work like that. The IBS can cause food allergies, so I have heard from some doctors- the leaky gut theory.Also, the lungs need room to work properly. I feel better when I eat small meals. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts